“Very Average”

Ranked #22 of 28 Mudgee B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Very Average”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

While this establishment has beautiful facilities, I don't think the hostess really has the personality to be running a guesthouse. I've stayed in much more welcoming places. The bed was extremely comfortable, but I didn't appreciate being kept awake by the other guests chatting in the hall outside my room and talking on their mobile phones. Don't think we'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
AJsMudgee, Owner at AJ's Mudgee Guesthouse, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Hi Liz,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I've managed to work out who you were by your photo, so thank you for having that. I'm very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Your comments seem a little unusual because as you were leaving your husband was saying you had both had a lovely time and would like to come back again to AJ's. I'm not sure how I could of been much more welcoming without being intrusive. I welcomed you at the front door and had a chat about your trip up to Mudgee, then showed you personally to your room and around the house etc and discussed dinner options and places to visit around Mudgee. In the morning I treated you as any guest with offers of coffee and tea and cooked you breakfast of your choices etc I asked how you enjoyed your previous evening and where you ate and how it was. Whilst we couldn't provide you with undercover parking for your motorbike, I did ask my husband to find a small car cover for the bike and offered that to you. The only thing I could not do was give you a refund or credit when your husband was called back to work early as it was a "wotif" booking with "no cancellations or changes permitted". Even this I apologised profusely for. As for other guests making a noise down the hall, I was not aware of this and do apologise but this is something I have very little control over. I find this happens even in multi national hotels and not just a B&B.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I wanted a nice weekend away from the big city and chose Mudgee, we both like the odd wine or two and thought what better way to spend a winter weekend than to sample some of the great wines on offer in mudgee. After looking at a couple of places online ajs was the best looking for the best price. When you book through their website their are other options you can choose to include on your bill, we opted for the half day wine tour and their was a full day on offer too. The tour was great, we really enjoyed the wineries we were taken to and it was great not to have to drive. The breakfast on offer was fantastic, they cook you up something from a great range of options. The room was very clean and modern with aircon so we were nice and warm. There was no fridge in the room however there is a communal breakfast/afternoon tea area where you can store your cheese and white wine. We will definately be back

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at AJ's Mudgee Guesthouse, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
We're glad you enjoyed your time in Mudgee and at AJ's. We're always looking at new ideas for breakfasts along with providing the popular country breakfast. There are so many things to explore in Mudgee we're sure there will be loads for you to discover on your next visit. I'm glad you mentioned the fridges not being in the guest rooms. We are toying with this idea but do not want the rooms to become just like hotel rooms and lose the ambience of the traditional bed & breakfast / guesthouse.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We spent only 2 nights at AJ's but wished we could have stayed for a week. Very modern & pristine purpose built B&B, located just out of town, near the Racecourse. Only 6 rooms which makes for personalised service from the owners.

The rooms are a good size, with large ensuite facilities. Rooms are all air conditioned, have TV, CD player, Ipod dock, armchairs & comfortable queen sized beds. Very quiet location, despite the local airport being nearby. Negligible noise from planes however.

There is also a large screen TV with cable TV access in the main lounge. Adjoining this is the chef's kitchen and group dining table. Off this room is the breakfast room overlooking the pool. All modern and tastefully decorated.

Breakfasts were excellent of course. Country fare, well prepared and presented. Help yourself to the juices, cereals etc. then place your cooked order from the numerous menu items available.

Overall AJ's is excellent value for money and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Dragonman106
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This b&b in the heart of mudgee with its beautiful gardens and contemporary design is a breath of fresh air to the dated and daggy b n bs of the past. Beds are comfortable with quality linens and  modern finishings that include things like iPod docking station, air-conditioning (that works!).  Added to this is the option of enjoying the shared areas a like the pool and included a la carte breakfast. (We tried 2 of the 6-8 options (not including continental) and ordered them twice they were so good. If you are looking for a place to stay with australian friendliness and insiders knowledge on places to visit but international quality of hospitality- AJs Guesthouse is for you. We have stayed at a few places in mudgee this one was by far the best.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank DanielGriffithsPhoto
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We booked AJ's at the last minute for a short break during Xmas and New Years.
We were impressed from the moment we arrived!
Lovely, spacious b&b with extremely fresh food on offer...
Breakfast included a large range of options and the atmosphere was comfortable and non intrusive!...
Afternoon tea was a delight and nespresso coffee made it all the better!
The beautiful dogs were friendly and just as welcoming! :)
We will definitely return when in mudgee and recommend!!

• Stayed December 2011
sydney
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The rooms are very modern and well equipped although just big enough. The breakfast was excellent with great hot selection. The staff were very helpful and efficient. The outside area was inviting but cobwebs and spiders on the seats were a little off putting. The place was poorly situated on a busy road and directly at the end of the local airport runway. The front rooms suffered from road noise and faced directly onto the loose stone driveway which got quite muddy in the rain. This is not the local charming B&B rather a modern setup in a pretty average location. Having said all that it was well appointed and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank stan658
AJsMudgee, Owner at AJ's Mudgee Guesthouse, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Hi,

Thank you for your review.

Whilst I agree with you that we are located at the end of the local airport runway, I should point out that there are only a couple of commercial flights by small aircraft daily.

We are located amongst a large area of wineries so yes we do get a bit of traffic from people visiting the wineries each day but it is definitely not what I would call a "busy" road. But it could be called that if you are used to a quiet stretch in the middle of a small farming community.

As far as cobwebs and spiders are concerned, we broom and spray regularly but being in the area we are in, they tend to spring up from no where as fast as we clear them away, but we will try to do this even more often, so thankyou for pointing this out to us.
Singapore
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This guesthouse is very beautiful, however the experience is ruined by the rude behaviour of the hostess. I was made to feel very unwelcome for no reason, other than she seems to hate her job. Such a shame.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank sglawrence2000
Thank you for your review. I feel I should apologise if I appeared to be rude to you or made you feel unwelcome during your stay. I certainly did not mean to do this and usually am quite the opposite.

I must admit that I do not recall the incident but this in no way lessens the sincere apology to you.

I can assure you that I do enjoy what I do and would not have done it this long if I did not enjoy it.
What helps us to enjoy AJs is seeing our guests enjoy their stay so hearing of your disappointment saddens us.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for any upset or discomfort I may have caused you.