“Our Hosts understand quality”

AJ's Mudgee Guesthouse
AJ's Mudgee Guesthouse
Ranked #22 of 28 Mudgee B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Our Hosts understand quality”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Travelled with my very elderly but extremely friendly mum who is at times direction-challenged, and a husband with a severe mobility disability. Chose this place because it looked wheelchair-friendly and the hosts sounded unfazed by the task ahead. They didn't disappoint! Always helpful, with a great balance of warmth, good sense and privacy. The common rooms were large and tasteful- the library had comfy lounges lining the walls, with optional tv, magazines, and a fire (with non smoking flames ) helped create a wonderful ambience. The eating area had 24 hour Nespresso, a selection of teas and tasty cakes for guests. Breakfasts were delicious. I had a omelette with smoked salmon which melted in my mouth. The cooking is all done in sight of the guests so you are reassured that the food is freshly prepared and genuinely home-made. The bedrooms are somewhat small but the thoughtful design and the quality of the inclusions make this less of a problem. We stayed 3 days in July, surprising because my family normally feel the cold, but the warmth of our hosts and the perfect air con made it seem less like winter. Thankyou again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Set up as a modern BnB guesthouse, AJs is a beautifully set up place to stay, located a just a few minutes outside Mudgee, in the heart of the local winery district.
Our hosts were extremely friendly and helpful and the rooms were well laid out. A nice feature of the rooms is the wall mounted CD player/radio and selection of CDs left in the room, with more available in the large, common area. Unfortunately, with our work commitments, we were only able to stay one night, but we'll definitely be back!! If you're looking for well-appointed accommodation in this area, AJs should be one of the first places you check!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rick P
Glenbrook, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Enjoyed a three night stay at AJ's in the lovely town of Mudgee, NSW Australia ... most comfortable rooms and bed ... breakfast - just so delicious ... kept us going for the hours of exploring each day. Mandy and Paul - perfect hosts. Would recommend a stay at AJ's any day!!

Room Tip: Make sure you book - especially for weekends or school holidays ... don't leave to chance.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
sydney
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Very friendly and helpful people and the rooms had everthing and were to a high standard. Their local knowledge of the region was very helpful and overall a good experience.
Rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable.
Breakfast was very good, freshly cooked to perfection.
Overall enjoyed the experience but it was very expensive even considering the weekend and regional influences.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012

After years of talking about visiting Mudgee I decided to surprise my husband for his 50th birthday with a little getaway. After much searching, AJ's just stood out from the crowd and it did not disappoint. This beautiful purpose-built 6 bedroom B&B is stunning! We were a little concerned about sharing a house with 5 other couples as well as Mandy and Paul but we shouldn't have. AJ's motto "where strangers become friends" is so true. We were a mixed bag both in personalities and of where we all hailed from, but after the first breakfast all our concerns flew out the window. The 'Chefs Table' 4 course dinner on Saturday night was divine. I just wished I had a bigger appetite as I felt so guilty leaving some on my plate. Hubby on the other hand scoffed the lot....even his cold Minted Pea Soup!!!! Mudgee was a complete surprise as well. What a beautiful clean country town it is and as for the wineries....let's just say we won't go thirsty for a while! Thank you Mandy and Paul for welcoming us into your beautiful home and for making our first trip to Mudgee so memorable We will be back!

Room Tip: We were in the Garnet room which was the last room on the right and opened up to the backyard. Ther...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
AJsMudgee, Owner at AJ's Mudgee Guesthouse, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're glad you enjoyed Mudgee and AJ's Mudgee Guesthouse. Your initial concerns are quite common for people who have not stayed in a B&B before. However we find that the design of AJ's allows for people to be as sociable or as unsociable as they would like to be without feeling any obligation to mix with others. Often though people find that "6 degrees of separation" and a common interest to talk about, even if only our wonderful town.

We look forward to welcoming you back to AJ's and to Mudgee as there is so much more for you to explore.
Sydney
Reviewed 20 August 2012

While this establishment has beautiful facilities, I don't think the hostess really has the personality to be running a guesthouse. I've stayed in much more welcoming places. The bed was extremely comfortable, but I didn't appreciate being kept awake by the other guests chatting in the hall outside my room and talking on their mobile phones. Don't think we'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
AJsMudgee, Owner at AJ's Mudgee Guesthouse, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Hi Liz,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I've managed to work out who you were by your photo, so thank you for having that. I'm very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Your comments seem a little unusual because as you were leaving your husband was saying you had both had a lovely time and would like to come back again to AJ's. I'm not sure how I could of been much more welcoming without being intrusive. I welcomed you at the front door and had a chat about your trip up to Mudgee, then showed you personally to your room and around the house etc and discussed dinner options and places to visit around Mudgee. In the morning I treated you as any guest with offers of coffee and tea and cooked you breakfast of your choices etc I asked how you enjoyed your previous evening and where you ate and how it was. Whilst we couldn't provide you with undercover parking for your motorbike, I did ask my husband to find a small car cover for the bike and offered that to you. The only thing I could not do was give you a refund or credit when your husband was called back to work early as it was a "wotif" booking with "no cancellations or changes permitted". Even this I apologised profusely for. As for other guests making a noise down the hall, I was not aware of this and do apologise but this is something I have very little control over. I find this happens even in multi national hotels and not just a B&B.
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I wanted a nice weekend away from the big city and chose Mudgee, we both like the odd wine or two and thought what better way to spend a winter weekend than to sample some of the great wines on offer in mudgee. After looking at a couple of places online ajs was the best looking for the best price. When you book through their website their are other options you can choose to include on your bill, we opted for the half day wine tour and their was a full day on offer too. The tour was great, we really enjoyed the wineries we were taken to and it was great not to have to drive. The breakfast on offer was fantastic, they cook you up something from a great range of options. The room was very clean and modern with aircon so we were nice and warm. There was no fridge in the room however there is a communal breakfast/afternoon tea area where you can store your cheese and white wine. We will definately be back

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at AJ's Mudgee Guesthouse, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
We're glad you enjoyed your time in Mudgee and at AJ's. We're always looking at new ideas for breakfasts along with providing the popular country breakfast. There are so many things to explore in Mudgee we're sure there will be loads for you to discover on your next visit. I'm glad you mentioned the fridges not being in the guest rooms. We are toying with this idea but do not want the rooms to become just like hotel rooms and lose the ambience of the traditional bed & breakfast / guesthouse.