“Gorgeous and great value for money”

Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heiton
Selkirk, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous and great value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Took my mum to the Roxburgh for a afternoon tea at the end of August. I had a two for one offer with the Roxburgh card and it was amazing! Service, food, surroundings, all amazing, will definitely go back.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Duncan E, General Manager at Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the whole afternoon tea experience, including the surroundings. We here at the hotel are always happy to hear that our guests will be returning and look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Duncan Evans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We have just returned from a four night stay at The Roxburghe and we were delighted with the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to do as much for you as they possibly could. The rooms were comfortable and warm and had all you needed in the way of a good supply of bottled water in the bedroom and nice toiletries in the bathroom. Do think that the carpet in our bedroom could do with a clean, beige as said before, is not a good colour in rooms that are used a lot.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
I would like to take this opportunity of thanking you for the comments made about your recent stay with us here at the Roxburghe Hotel and Golf Course.

I am so glad to hear that you found our rooms provided everything you needed. We do endeavour to ensure that our guests have every comfort. With regard to the carpet in your room, we do have in place an on-going schedule of carpet cleaning so you can be assured that this will be remedied.
I am delighted to hear that you found our staff gave you a friendly, warm service which is something we always strive to provide. Many thanks for taking the time to place your review and I hope you will make a return visit in the near future.

Midland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights in the courtyard rooms. We had a large room with a downstairs living room that converted to a bedroom for our son whilst we had a fourposter upstairs. The bathroom was huge and on another level (few steps). A very interesting accomodation.

We ate in the hotel one night and the food was very goodm just as you would expect. The breakfasts also lived up to expectations. If I was in the area agian I would stay here.

Room Tip: Take a look at the hotel website to choose one you like, even if you book through a third party.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
I am so glad to hear that you have enjoyed your break here at the Roxburghe Hotel and Golf Course. We do pride ourselves in providing a high standard of accommodation, full of character, yet still offering everything in the way of comfort that our guests may wish for.
Our team here strive to provide a high standard of food that one would expect from this standard of hotel and we do like to use local produce whenever possible.
We have recently updated our web site so potential guests can always look at the various types of rooms we can provide and therefore choose one to suit their individual taste.
I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We spent one night here playing golf twice. All the staff were extremely pleasant, helpful and professional. The room in the courtyard was spacious and spotlessly clean with bottled water at the bedside. The bed was comfortable with crisp linen. Lovely toiletries in the large bathroom. There was a slight problem with the food at dinner time but this was quickly put right with absolutely no fuss. It was so pleasant to have coffee in the magnificent drawing room. However the service and quality of food in the golf club was basic. The golf course itself was outstanding and I would certainly love to play it again.

Room Tip: Courtyard room was lovely but I did not see any rooms in the main house
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank raeofbonnybanks
Many thanks for sparing the time to write such a positive review of your recent stay at the hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your rounds of golf but disappointed to hear that the food and service you received in the golf club was not up to our usual high standard and we will take your feedback and endeavour to make constructive improvements with over the quieter winter season to ensure that next year the service and quality in the golf club house is much improved.
I am delighted to hear that you found our staff here in the hotel to be professional and helpful and am pleased that your slight problem was dealt with speedily and efficiently.
I agree with you, our drawing room does offer our guests a very comfortable setting in which to enjoy drinks and conversation.
On your next stay here do try one of the rooms in the main house and then you will have had the ‘complete experience.’

Scotland, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I spent a lovely two-night break here. Our room was in the courtyard annexe, and was beautifully decorated and comfortable. At first I was disappointed not to be in the main house, but when I opened the window on to the courtyard in the morning sunshine, I was glad we weren't. The courtyard was certainly very quiet. The only slight drawback was that the TV was located in the wardrobe, which made it awkward to watch (We did open the wardrobe door first, before you ask!) We ate in the dining room both nights .The food was of a very high standard and the service was faultless. Breakfast was very good too. We also enjoyed a drink in the library bar - there is an impressive selection of drinks available, particularly whisky. The hotel staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We made use of the complimentary entry to Floors Castle, which was well worth visiting. It was not the cheapest weekend break we have ever had, but we had a wonderfully relaxing time with some very good food.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Roxburghe Hotel and Golf Course on Trip Advisor.
I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your weekend with us and I know my colleagues will be delighted to read your kind comments about their service and dedication. It is very pleasing to read your positive comments about the drinks, breakfast, Floors Castle and also the Courtyard rooms. Sometimes these rooms are not to everyone’s taste but I like yourself find them comfortable and quiet with easy access to the grounds and natural beauty of the countryside, these rooms are also accessible for four legged friends too.
I do hope you will return to stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

It says in the hotel blurb that the Duchess designed some of the bedrooms. I don't think she designed the one in which I slept. The plain carpet was beige in colour, plain carpets, I think, are not a good idea in a hotel. The walls looked as if they were papered with lining paper which had been painted beige, not very inspiring. The carpet was stained and the walls needed repainting. In fact the whole room and other parts of the hotel looked quite shabby. My wood in my bathroom certainly needed freshening up. Why have a wooden bath panel which has to be painted when a plastic panel is more hygienic and can be cleaned more easily. If I was the Duchess I wouldn't admit to designing bedrooms, if I was her. The dining room décor was dark and needs attention.
On the plus side the roaring fires were beautiful. The staff were well trained, efficient and attentive. The food was well cooked and presented.
The menu could do with changing more frequently.
The grounds are delightful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank McKenzie004
I would like to thank you for sparing the time to write a review on our hotel. I was delighted to hear that you found our staff looked after you well, we do spend a great deal of time ensuring that our team here make guests feel at home and cared for. I am pleased that you enjoyed your food whilst staying with us. If you were to stay with us again in the future, which I sincerely hope you will, we would be only too happy to provide a more varied choice of menu.
I was disappointed to read that our rooms were not to your taste and felt that they needed attention. Here at Roxburghe we do pride ourselves in attention to detail and have a rolling schedule of decoration in process. It is difficult to appeal to all guests tastes in décor but rest assured we do endeavour to choose colours and fabrics that we feel are in keeping with a property of this character.
I do hope you will return to stay with us again and please feel free to contact me directly and I will endeavour to allocate a room more in keeping with your preferences.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed one night dinner, bed and breakfast - hotel reception staff very friendly and helpful as were all staff encountered during our stay. Had dinner on evening - staff serving, although quite young, were very professional and had obviously been trained in dinning etiquette - well done. Food was of a very high standard too (as was breakfast) - compliments to the chef(s) Our room was very clean and the bed very comfortable - feather filled pillows !
Overall - a very pleasant stay - would definitely recommend. Additionally - all guests at The Roxburghe are able to avail themselves to complimentary passes to the nearby Floors Castle - which we visited too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Seaton35
Duncan E, General Manager at Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you very much for your very positive review of The Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course.

It is very pleasing to read your comments about the team at The Roxburghe, the food and the bedroom.

We will continue to work extremely hard to ensure that the service and qualities of the hotel are consistent and we provide an experience that our guests expect. We do hope that you will return to The Roxburghe in the not too distant future and if there is anything I can do to help please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards

Duncan Evans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heiton
Ednam House
The Townhouse Hotel
The Townhouse Hotel
#1 of 7 in Melrose
Best Western Pus Scottish Borders Selkirk Philipburn Hotel

Been to Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!