“Highly recommended”

Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heiton
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Have stayed here many times and each time the hotel excels itself for service, comfort and a truly relaxing break in beautiful surroundings. A must if you are looking for a quiet, but luxurious hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Elaine D

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic and special stay recently at this wonderful venue. The Duchess Suite was truly fabulous and the staff were very attentive and first class. The food was great and so were the champagne cocktails! Recommend this hotel for a truly special stay. Thanks to all at Roxburghe Hotel including Alistair for his patience in teaching clay pigeon shooting!!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Motorbike1
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Coming in from the cold on a Winters day and being welcomed by the warmth of the fireplace, to the excellent and very attentive staff I can highly recommend this hotel. Followed in the evening by a delicious dinner from their newly appointed Chef.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2014

After working ourselves into the ground over a very busy December and January,we arrived at the roxburghe on 3rd feb, just walking through the doors relaxed us both, we were totally looked after from morning until nighttime.
The team of staff were amazing our every need was catered for with a warm smile.
We ordered a picnic for a day out walking around holy island, it was fantastic, total indulgence.
The food was amazing and beautifully served from breakfast through to evening meal,I cannot praise the staff enough they create an atmosphere that is formal when expected,but relaxed when you want it to be.
The French lady who appeared to be the head waitress was truly amazing her attention to detail was perfect, but that said everybody who works there was lovely
We will return for another 'fall off the face of the earth' few days in November

Room Tip: Room 8 is magical
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Duncan E, General Manager at Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review following your recent stay with us here at The Roxburghe. I am so pleased that each and every member of the team made you feel welcome and looked after and that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant. Many of the team regularly check Trip Advisor, I share their interest and on behalf of us all, we are very grateful for your kind comments.

The Head Waitress would no doubt be Aurélie, who does a fantastic job encouraging all of the team to naturally carry out the finer details which we hope makes the difference between good and great service. Thank you for recognising her valuable contribution.

In today’s frantic world, it is essential for you to take time for yourselves and I am so pleased that you left here feeling relaxed and that we contributed in some way to the benefits you felt from ‘taking a break’.

We hope it will not be too long before you decide to visit us in the beautiful Scottish Borders again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Welcoming, beautiful, picturesque with seamless service, wonderful food and a real wine list. Also wonderful Scotch, fireplaces and grounds. Quiet, comfortable and peaceful. I hope to return for another visit. Highly recommend.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

It is always a pleasure to read that our guests have enjoyed their stay.

Receiving and reading a review such as yours certainly makes us feel humble but appreciated for all of the hard work of the team here at The Roxburghe, thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Scottish Borders in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

On arrival at the hotel, we could smell the log fire from the reception area before we opened the front door, which was a great welcome. There are open fires in all the public areas which makes the hotel very comfortable and adds to the warm ambience. We had a very nice room on the first floor overlooking the garden. Overall we found everything to be of a very high standard and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The only slight disappointment for us was that, although dinner was very good, the menu is quite limited and there was only one minor change to the menu on the second evening. Had we been dining on a third evening we would have struggled with the choice available. Breakfast however was fantastic, as was the afternoon tea we had on our first day. All in all, a very enjoyable break and we hope to return one day.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

We are very grateful for your feedback and needless to say I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and took pleasure in the ambience of The Roxburghe.

I am so sorry that you felt the menu a rather limited, we do admittedly offer a slightly reduced menu during the winter months but we also recognise those guests staying with us for more than a few days; our natural service should be to offer to prepare a meal of your choice (where ingredients allow of course) and aim to converse with our guests to oblige in this regard. I believe that we will always try our best to offer and deliver levels of service which you will appreciate. My sincere apologies if we didn’t quite hit the mark on this occasion.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back sometime in the near future when we can aim to provide a ‘faultless experience’.

Kindest Regards,

General Manger

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Entering this hotel with my gorgeous girlfriend is the most relaxed welcome I have ever had, no form filling, no mix ups, superb start & it didn't stop there

Room 8 is a huge room, extremely clean & bright, more than adequate wardrobe space, the massive windows afford a lovely view of the tended garden with a small balcony via the French doors, log fire ready for lighting & boy did we take advantage of that, the bathroom was a large room, functional & clean with complimentary toiletries.

Down to the bar, which could go with a little more imagination, drinks are expensive although the staff are a credit to this hotel, spoke with a guy (possibly Duncan) & asked if we could have breakfast in the room, absolutely no problem was the response, infact he offered us a 1030 breakfast even though the checking out time should have been 1100, he extended it to 1300hours

I didn't fancy what was on the menu & asked for a steak, yes, you guessed it, nothing too much trouble, the best fillet steak I have ever eaten, the whole dinner & service has to be experienced.

A great sleep in a fantastic bed.

Breakfast, hmmmmm it arrived beautifully presented although I was given scrambled eggs when I ordered a poached egg, I must state that the scrambled egg was the worst I have ever lay my eyes on, the bottom of the pan was maybe an added extra!!!! A quick phonecall resulted in my breakfast being delivered 10mins later although my tea & toast were cold by this time, the breakfast was lovely however

Overall apart from poor breakfast service I cannot fault this absolute gem if a hotel.

Duncan, you run a tight ship with attentive but not overbearing staff, bravo

Room Tip: Room 8 is a lovely room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

It is very kind of you to provide us with such considered, valuable and honest feedback. It is with pride that I read your review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your New Year stay with us here at The Roxburghe. We do try our best and I feel that the team here work very hard to give our guests a high standard of friendly, attentive service without being too overbearing and I am so happy that we seem, from your comments, to have achieved this. By achieving high standards naturally it is our aim to get the mix just right.

We pride ourselves in going the extra mile when someone makes request, and when we deliver it all adds to their experience. I am sorry to learn that your breakfast order was not correct but pleased that this small matter was ‘almost’ quickly rectified.

Thank you so much so taking the time to place this review and hope it will not be the next ‘New Year’ before we welcome you back to the Scottish Borders.

Kindest Regards,

Duncan Evans

Also consider these accommodations in or near Heiton
Ednam House
Queens Head Hotel
Queens Head Hotel
#3 of 4 in Kelso
Mansfield House Hotel

Been to Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!