“Fascinating”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Atlas du Sable

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hassilabied
Atlas du Sable
Sao Paulo, SP
“Fascinating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

One of the most incredible places I have ever stayed. Entirely made of some sort of clay, with an amazing staff with a wonderful view of the Sahara desert.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Necoh

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

Went in April 2011 and stayed for a couple of nights. Atlas du Sable (Ali el cojo) was recommended by several friends and with no doubt I recommend it to anyone. The hostel is well located, clean, nice food and service and very friendly staff. Frequented by motorists as this location is ideal for car and bike rides in the dessert. They can organize any type of activity, just ask.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank EPLondon
Modena, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

We called this hotel one day before arrival, they told us that maybe some rooms would have been available. There were actually no rooms in the hotel but in a house nearby: which was better, because the hotel was full of motocross bikers and quads which made horrible noise in a place that imho should be contemplative. The rooms were nice and ok, but there was no hot water and we had to walk 5' to reach the hotel for dinner using a torch. Not too bad, if the rates had been lower than the hotel ones, but we had no chance to get a lower rate. We booked the excursion with camels at dawn at an irresonabily high price (the highest indicated in LP), especially because for that price it was way too short: guide made us wait 50' in the dark, and then was in a hurry to come back when we were on the dunes. We felt fooled, as the hotel manager told us that the excursion could last as long as we wanted. Buffet dinner and breakfast were not that bad, food was good but nothing special. Definitely no athmosphere, and it seemed they were profiting the fact that it was high season.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank lauranji
Surrey, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

This was chosen and booked for us through Fleewinter who arranged our 4 day/3 night trip from Marrakech to the desert. I only read the previous review just before we left for Morocco so in some ways this place was not as bad as I feared. However, I suspect this was because we had one of the 7 suites. There was glass in our window and the room was unbearably hot. I couldn't get the air conditioning to work and eventually I found someone to come and get it going for me. The place is very rundown and the staff do not care. It wouldn't take much to bring this place up to a good standard but I think all the guests just stay for one night and so I imagine there is no incentive. There is a pool with rather murky water and very slippery steps (obviously not cleaned much). As the previous reviewer has said the food was inedible - both dinner and the meagre breakfast. Our camel ride was included in our tour but I must warn anyone thinking of doing this trip that it is just not worth the very long and quite exhausting car journey for an hour and a half on a camel in the desert. Fleewinter describe this place as being run by the charismatic Ali "the man with one leg". There was no one remotely charismatic at this place. I might add that I wouldn't much recommend Fleewinter either.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jrsj
New York, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2008

Choosing this hotel was a mistake. I think we picked it because it was recommended in one of the guidebooks (LP or rough guide) but this place has taken the fast train downhill since that recommendation. The desert is extremely cold during this time of year, and there is no glass in the "windows" so all the cold air blows into the room at night. We might as well have slept in the desert (at least the tent would have kept us warmer). I realize it is hot in the summer and during the day but I think glass windows are a necessity to avoid hypothermia during the winter. Secondly, the food was inedible. For dinner they served us a tagine of unidentifiable meat and vegetables. I was thankful it was so cold that the food was probably not spoiled. The camel trip to the desert was significantly more expensive than what was described in our guidebook and the person we booked it with was rude. Service was non-existent except the young boy who guided us into the desert

There must be much better options in Merzouga and I would highly recommend avoiding Atlas du Sable. As you can see from my other reviews, I do not complain much but I feel I should warn people about this place.

• Liked — Location at the foot of the dunes/desert
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank barkley75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hassilabied
Nasser Palace Hotel & Bivouacs
#7 of 82 in Merzouga
Riad Aicha
Riad Aicha
#6 of 82 in Merzouga

Been to Atlas du Sable? Share your experiences!