All reviewswoodland lakethe kitchenwood burning fireplacespa tubget awayfriendly greetinginvited friendsnational forestwalking trailsnice tvwould highly recommend this placebeautiful pine treespinetop lakeside areacoffee tablewhite mountainsfront porchfirewood
Reviewed 10 June 2017

Last minute trip just try to get away from the hot valley weather. Found Whispering Pines Resort online with a June weekday deal. Booked, packed and check in the next day. I normally did not have high expectations for all this last minute arrangement. Surprisingly! The resort is very beautiful, surroundded with lots of tall pine trees. The area is very serene and yet just steps away from restaurants and place interest like Woodland Lake,. The cabin is simple, kitchen and bathroom a bit out of date. But everything work well, clean and neat. Kitchen utensil, BBQ Pit, firewood, newspapper, matches, everything stock up.
We love this place and will be back.

S. Leong

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the main road.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Pam_CSR, Guest Relations Manager at Whispering Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

We are just thrilled hearing that you were so "pleasantly surprised". Thank you so much for staying with us, and for sharing your experience with others.

Our hope is that we can count on getting seeing you every time the heat becomes to much in the valley. :)

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

Loved it! Very nice and clean cabins. Very helpful and kind staff. Cabin 4 with our two pups was just what we needed. Nice trails nearby. Most definitely will be back. This time I won't injure my ankle on day one. Still an awesome place that reminds us of home back in Colorado.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Oh goodness, we are sorry to hear your you injured your ankle when you arrived, but very happy knowing you enjoyed yourself despite that!

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to recommend us to others. :)

Hope to see you up here again soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

What a great place! Fantastic cabins clean and well supplied, great staff, such a beautiful place!! Great prices my wife and I will not stay anywhere else in the white mountains . Our cabin had a fire place and we were well supplied with ceader fire wood, we will be coming back this winter for ice fishing!!!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much Barry, we can't describe how much it means knowing you and your wife feel this way. :)

We look forward to seeing you this winter!

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

I am not sure what some of the other reviewers were expecting, the website clearly shows images of the cabins. I personally love this place. I have stayed here several times. The staff is always so friendly, like I mean beyond friendly. I called to make my reservation and knew I may get there before check in, the front office only asked that I "shoot them a jingle when I'm close" that way they could get the heat on for me. The rooms are dated, but I expect that with many cabins. However, this place is so cozy, and so peaceful to have a nice weekend with your partner. Fireplace is always ready to go, which is much appreciated. The staff always asks to show you to the cabin. Plenty of firewood, kindling, matches to warm your cabin. There has never been the nuisance of noisy neighbors.
My only suggestions would be a shower head that is higher, or one that is on a cord, my husband is tall 6'3" and that would be a little helpful. And maybe a new couch. But that won't stop us from staying here. We will be back again and again!!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Pam_CSR, Guest Relations Manager at Whispering Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Thank you so much Lynne, your feedback and your business is most appreciated!!!

We look forward to your next visit, and hope that it is everything you have come to expect. :)

Reviewed 24 April 2017

I can’t speak for the other cabins but ours was so completely devoid of charm that it was depressing......

1. Couch has black spots and sags like you are sitting in a bucket. Like a couch you would find in the alley of a college town, with black soot spots.

2. Ants! Lots of ants!

3. Hole-gap-crack in the wall between the bathroom and bedroom, light comes through.

4. 2.5 gallon per minute shower head, I get it’s Arizona but it was useless, at least you could unscrew it.

5. Toilet paper roll on thin ‘rustic wooden’ wall that acts like a giant sound board directly next to your head in the bedroom.

6. The grossest carpeting. Old and cheap.

7. Not even a lamp, just an overly bright ceiling fan with one light setting. Unscrewed the bulbs.

8. Few outlets, no power strips. It is 2017.

9. Terrible cable with the majority of it “needs to be activated”, just the cheap channels.

10. Spotty wi-fi constantly dropping, I think all 30+ cabins share the limited bandwidth.

11. You might miss the “whispering” of the pines when they use a leaf blower to “sweep” off the small porches.

12. Hot water was not hot.

13. Bed was full, maybe queen, again saggy and a quality that you would find in the alley of a college town.

14. The cheapest toaster in the world set off the smoke alarm.

15. The refrigerator is old and has a buzz.

16. Window glass was cracked.

17. Mismatched table chairs were wonky and noisy and the table was leveled out with newspaper.

18. Very convenient to Pinetop’s main road, so much so you will constantly hear it.

…..over all it felt sad, dirty, old and moldy. The paneling, in combination with the gross carpeting, gave it an old basement feel and smell.

One the plus side the towels and sheets seemed clean. And they seem to have a HUGE budget for pea gravel.

Also it being sort charmless and sad made me stay out

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Pam_CSR, Guest Relations Manager at Whispering Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

We are all very sorry and saddened to read what sounds like an awful stay in beautiful Pinetop....we just wish we would have known!

Sometimes it is just a complete shock to all of us when we read something like this, simply because we knew nothing about it while you were here. The truth is, we have had no one approach us with such disappoint in the longest time, so trying to figure out when you were here, and what cabin you stayed in is impossible at this point.

Our cabins were built in the 1970's, some even earlier than that, and of course they have been updated many times since then....but this IS part of the charm here at Whispering Pines Resort. We are in a prime location in Pinetop, with access right off the main road and backed against the forest high in the mountains of Pinetop Arizona, so while we offer modern amenities (cable, internet, laundry) for the convenience of our guests, the cabin experience we offer is not that of a traditional hotel.

Our website offers many many photos of these cabins, and of course when someone calls to make a reservation we are happy to guide them to what cabin will best fit the experience their looking for.

In other words, our property is on more than 13 acres of heavily treed land, and there are cabins that will better offer an isolated feel more than others, and some that are more updated than others. We have some that offer jacuzzi tubs, some that welcome pets, some that can sleep many, and so on and so forth.

What we really want you (and all of our guests to know) is that we cannot help you if we are not aware there is a problem when you're here. We have inquired with our entire staff and no one is aware of any guests that mentioned any of the issues you have brought up.

Our wifi is as good as it gets on the mountain, which we understand is not quite as reliable or as fast as the city....but it is CableOne, and it is as upgraded as they can possibly make it up here.

We maintain a very clean property and we exterminate often, but this is literally the forest where many guests enjoy being able to have their door open to breathe the fresh mountain air.

Again we would all like to apologize that you feel so negative about your experience with our resort, that is just never the impression we want to leave anyone with.