Los Corrales
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Best Mexican food. Salsa is fresh. Beans tasty. Cozy colorfull good service. Easy location. Chips warm and large. Full house at 2pm. Large portions.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Perhaps I'm a little more picky than others. For those of you familiar with the Phoenix area, my idea of an "excellent" Mexican restaurant is Abuelo's, in northern Glendale, AZ.

I ate at Los Corrales tonight after reading many of the reviews here. The interior of the place is very colorful, clean and inviting. I was greeted and seated within a minute, and the chip fella was with me a minute after that. Then the waiter followed a minute after. All had smiles and all were very friendly and accommodating. I ordered a Margarita, as they were praised here. It was good, but not special. It's also served in a VERY thick and heavy goblet, which makes drinking it a little awkward. At $6.50 I thought it a bit overpriced for this area, and I'll never order another.

I then tried the chips and salsa. The salsa is excellent! Maybe the best in the area. Fresh and with a wonderful flavor - hot, but not too hot. Sadly, the chips (at least those I had) were cold and almost tasteless (and a few were actually bitter.) I don't know what it was (perhaps it was the tortillas they used, or perhaps they were over-fried,) but they were NOT very good. I thought of ordering another batch, but I looked around and everybody's looked just like mine did. So I discounted that mine were somehow unique.

The menu is extensive, with many very good sounding items. I ordered the pork Carnitas at $10.99. Taking me a bit by surprise, the very large platter arrived about five minutes later, burning hot.

It was very good, and the portion was large, but I didn't think it was excellent. I've had better Carnitas elsewhere. As mentioned here many times, the beans and rice are very flavorful and added to the pleasure of the meal.

The bill came to just under $20.00.

Again, I thought it was a very good meal and I enjoyed it, but it was not quite "excellent." But except for the chips, I don't think anyone will be disappointed dining here.

2  Thank Richard W
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Read other reviews and concur that this is a great place to eat. Excellent food and great service. Lots of food and very affordable.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stop here every time we visit our cabin. Great food and service! We realize everyone always has their favorite Mexican restaurant. Often times they are places we have never gone or even heard of. This is our favorite. They will not let your chips run low. Enjoy.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Expect a wait at this popular joint. We waited thirty minutes on a week night. Locals as well as desert dwellers frequent it for the cheap food, and large quantities.

Service was attentive with drinks filled, chips replaced. Salsa is fresh and you will want more. The small bowls empty quickly.

Large menu, take the whole family. The decor is outdated and tactfully colorful, but you don't care because the food is good. When I say good, it's piping hot and has flavor. The rice is moist, the beans are a little bland, but not bad.

Guacamole is flavorful with zest and shredded beef has been seasoned. Enjoy, but expect a little wait.

1  Thank Katbre