“A sumptuous evening and value for money.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant

Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolf's Castle
Narberth
“A sumptuous evening and value for money.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband and I went out tonight to dine at the Wolfscastle for our 20th wedding anniversary. We chose the 3 course meal for £21.95 so that we could sample a variety of food. I was not disappointed. The starter course was smoked chicken caesar salad, bacon lardons, parmesan ciabatta croutons & caesar dressing - stunningly delicious. A nest of fresh crunchy iceberg lettuce with just enough dressing to give it zest, this contrasted with the smokey chicken small lardons of excellent bacon and crisp croutons was just the best.

The main course chosen was slow cooked shoulder of little trefgarne farm lamb, balsamic, red onions, roast garlic mash and buttered spinach. A wonderful combination - tender lamb with caramelised onions was sensational - garlic mash flavourful and buttered spinach a la perfect, not overcooked but tender and buttery.

By now we were flagging a bit and needed a good 15 mins to let the meal go down and cruise towards the sweet menu. I opted for the hot banana and date steamed pudding, caramel sauce, and vanilla ice cream. What a treat, who would have thought banana and date could be so good together, - steamed pudding so light and textured, caramel sauce deep and luscious.

We enjoyed ourselves to the maximum. Staff were friendly, lighting subdued and nice - gentle background music - informal bar with comfortable high back seats and plenty of space between tables.

To date this is the best food I have tasted in Pembrokeshire on a consistent basic over the years I have lived here. It is first class and the price is reasonable for the quality and creativity of the food.

Thank you Wolfscastle for a memorable evening.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank diiivav123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

I have been to Wolfscastle Hotel many times before, to stay, for lunch, for dinner and for many functions, the last time was a few weeks ago with friends for dinner. My confit of duck was superb, and my companions were just as pleased with theirs. The waiting staff were helpful, efficient and friendly, our food was served promptly on hot plates (and we were reminded to be careful), I couldn't manage a dessert, but had to have a bite of the creme brulee when it came out - it was delicious. I couldn't fault the whole dining experience and would thoroughly recommend Wolfscastle Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lisa824
Nantwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed at the hotel for three nights bed and breakfast and ate three evening meals during my stay. The staff were all excellent, welcoming and friendly at all times. I had booked a standard room which was upgraded when I arrived and I thought it was modern, adequate storage, bright, clean and comfortable with nice touches such as complementary water as well as tea, coffee and biscuits. WiFi was free and available throughout the hotel but the signal was weak in a number of areas. The dining room still has the notice about changing the carpet and improving the lighting which will be done in early 2012 - I assume that will be in March! The food I had for the three evening meals was excellent, a range of choices, fixed prices and superbly cooked and presented.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Scarborough, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Have eaten here a number of times over the years and as always the food was of a very high standard. Sat in the cosy bar area where service was prompt and friendly. Decor is modern and smart.

I choose the pork belly which was slightly different than expected but still extremely tasty with a nice mash and cauliflower in cheese sauce. Another member of our party had a tasty panini with chips and salad.

Overall this place has always been consistent with great food in a nice atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AndyP80
Pontypridd
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

Just returned from a 2 night stay on a dinner bed and breakfast deal for around £360 for 2 people. Not wildly expensive but not cheap either. Did look on tripadvisor before booking and generally thought the reviews were favourable. For me first impressions were not great with public areas being tired and in need of some freshening and a little love and attention. Carpet in dining room worn and rucked, I guess through long wear and general foot traffic. I noted that a previous guest had commented on the smell on lower floors and I think the word damp was used, it was noticeable and was also present in the bar area. On a plus note all staff were obliging and pleasant. Food also very good with decent portions for dinner and breakfast, shame that on the second night 2 main course meat dishes were off, so rather limited your choice. Room was very nice plenty of storage and a good sized bathroom. Sadly however there was those smells again. Interestingly when we returned early on the second day the maid had been into the room and opened the windows and left the bathroom extractor on. Hadn't cleaned the room but was obviously getting a good through flow of air before she went back. I can assure you the reader this was not due to any fragrance eminating form me or my wife.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gaandir
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

I have not stayed in the rooms so can't comment to much on them, except that looking at the photos of the rooms tell's me something is not quite right. The furniture is very nice, but dose not fit in to the period of the hotel and makes it look cheap and cheerful. I think if they were to put dark wood like Mahogany, or rosewood, would definitely give you that pariod feel the rooms need. I have had a meal here to celebrate my fathers 90th birthday, but we had to ask to be shown to our function room and then, we had to leave the room on a number of occasions to keep our drinks topped up. The food was exceptional, so hats off to the chef. The bar was very small, and I can't imagine what would happen if they got busy.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed here in August for 2 days whilst on business in the area.

Lovely hotel. Nothing to fault. Only praise for the staff, food and room etc. very good. Nothing too spectacular but very definitely far far better than the average UK hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Twr y Felin Hotel
Twr y Felin Hotel
#1 of 6 in St Davids
Penally Abbey Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!