“Divine food in lovely setting - best meal in a long time”

Wolfscastle Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolf's Castle
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

My husband & I had dinner last Friday night in the restaurant after driving past every day on our week's holiday in nearby Goodwick. I looked at the menu on the website which sounded amazing so we turned up on spec at 8pm. As we hadn't booked we assumed we'd have to wait or not be able to eat at all but the restaurant was not that busy at all - surprisingly. The waiting staff of four were all young people and pleasant enough, but very lax in their customer service - the only negative comment I have.
We sat in a cosy booth at the back of the stylish and lovely restaurant. There were five other parties eating when we arrived.
Our 1st waitress took 10 minutes to take our drinks order which was disappointing. Then another 10 mins to take our meal order. However the food was simply stunning so we accepted the extremely slow and lacklustre service!
Complimentary savoury brioche & slice of granary bread & butter (without asking!) we're delicious.
My starter - asparagus, wild mushrooms, poached egg & peashoots was absolutely beautiful - best I've ever had. My husband's chicken satay skewers were similarly amazing. My main was shoulder of local lamb, gratin dauphinois, French beans & peas with lardons & a delectable jus. The lamb fell apart, it was so tender & perfect, everything was fabulous - personally lardons are not my bag so I merely took them out but the meal was sublime. My husband had chicken supreme with a wonderful light sauce, triple cooked chips, roasted vine tomatoes & Portobello mushroom & he loved it too.
We were too full to sample the delicious sounding desserts unfortunately so contented ourselves with coffee - Americano with home made, melt in the mouth fudge for my husband & a liqueur coffee for me.
Overall, despite the frustratingly slow and impersonal service - 4 different waiters over 90 minutes - we had the most fantastic meal out we've ever had.
Highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in the local area or any visitors. Am seriously wishing we could make the 190 mile round trip for another stunning meal but don't think my husband would go for it!
Bon appetit to those who do go - it really is worth it!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank LaEscocesaCansada

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We booked into this hotel for one night originally and then stayed an extra night. It was a very good experience and we would return. We were spending a few days in West Wales and it was a great location. The Hotel, rooms were well maintained and the food was excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We would recomend this Hotel.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was very good. An Executive room on the first floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lickhill
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for all your positive comments about our food, so nice to hear it. We think we are slowly getting our front of house staff better, and whilst some are very good others do need more training. Next time you come please seek me out and tell me if we have improved the whole dinnig experience, also you must make room for a sweet they are divine.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Went for breakfast at this hotel at 8:15 and was handed a menu. I was still waiting to get served at 8:45 and then had to leave. I complained, and was offered a small bottle of wine, since I don’t drink this was declined. I was still charged for full B&B though!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank ley m
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Unfortuntely the waitress who gave this gentleman the menu then left and the one who took over thought he had already had breakfast - it beggers believe that someone would sit in a restaurant for more than a few minutes without saying anything! We offered him a bottle of wine and a packed lunch but he threw his key across the counter made some derogatory comments and stormed off before we could say anything further!!! his bill had been previously paid by his company.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Luxurious individually furnished rooms, fantastic food and really good service. This is one of my favourite hotels whether on business, with the family or as a couple. Having booked last minute, I could only stay two nights by changing rooms - the staff made it very easy, and gave me a couple of complimentary drinks for the inconvenience, even though it was my fault!

Room Tip: Room 19 has a stunning view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments - in general we get the food and service right, I can never understand people such as the review above who do absolutely nothing to help their situation and then give a bad review. "A real treat" is exactly what we try to achieve

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We've been here numerous times, over many years, whenever visiting relatives in the area, & have never been disappointed. It's usually around the time of the Pembrokeshire Show, in August.
The menu is varied, value for money, lovely ambiance & setting, with good service & pleasant staff.
It's also known locally as, "Allt yr Afon", which translates as, "Wooded Hill by the River".

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

We always try to be consistant and a lot of our trade is repeat, which is rewarding. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Arrived on time at 12.30pm as we had booked a table, we were asked to wait to check which table we were seated at even thou the restaurant was empty.

I ordered a Chardonnay only to be told that it had been taken off the wine list.

Shown to a table near the door but found it rather cold so moved, no problem at all with this.

Husband went in search of staff and menu as it was a while, which we don't mind.

Went to order food only to be told that they had no Panini, they were also out of the red wine we ordered..

Starters were ok, quick service although we did have to ask for the wine menu twice and check that the soft drinks were on order.

All in all a rather disappointing place, I had the Cod but it was more batter than fish.

Not sure what went wrong, the food was poor as was the service.

Not sure we will bother to go back again, could do so much better.

2  Thank BonnBouche

We have never sold Chardonnay by the glass, ( but we have now decided to put on our "by the glass" list) only once in living memory have paninis been unavailable and we have wine deliveries twice a week, so how unlucky was this customer and it sounds that by the time they ordered their food "happy" was not on the agenda . Our 8oz cod portions are all weighed so I cannot comment on that. Hopefully this person will return and receive the food and service that others have experienced.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We wanted to spend some time exploring West Wales and a friend recommended this hotel. We (Mum, Dad and 2 Boys) booked for 3 nights and at first wanted one room for all but decided we would prefer two rooms. We were placed in rooms 7 and 8 which was perfect as we were all in our own almost separate little area with the doors facing each other. Our rooms were spacious, clean and well furnished. The bathroom was equipped with a very powerful shower, which is always a plus for us. The staff were very friendly throughout the property and seemed to enjoy working there. In the restaurant we had dinner one night and breakfast each day. The quality and presentation of the food was very high and the prices in line with the stature of the hotel. The breakfast, which was included in the room rate, was cooked to order and although the menu was limited it covered most bases. Finally, the location is just perfect for exploring the area so we were happy on all counts.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments, we try hard to offer value for money with friendly good service and it is pleasnt to see it has been noted

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolf's Castle
Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa
Gellifawr Woodland Retreat
19 mi away
Broadmead Boutique B&B

Been to Wolfscastle Country Hotel? Share your experiences!