Wolfscastle Country Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ocean Haze Hotel(St Davids)
Cartref Hotel(Fishguard)
The County Hotel(Haverfordwest)
Hotel Mariners(Haverfordwest)
Tara Hotel(Fishguard)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
The Druidstone(Haverfordwest)
View Hotel
All reviewswedding receptionexecutive roomlovely hotelfudgebirthday mealrestaurant menuwedding venuemain coursehigh standardwine listsunday lunchfantastic foodlambpuddingpower showersmoked salmonno lift
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel staff are friendly and helpful the rooms fine, but the hotel staff surly and sometimes abusive. The staff in breakfast room restaurant are local young and offhand. They spend a lot of time chatting behind the scenes and give the guests the impression that they are merely going through the motions and doing it grudgingly. Food was slow to arrive and uncoordinated. The service in the Bar was even worse where the staff are impudent and abusive this includes the management of the bar/brasserie. The atmosphere is local and clannish.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank williem c
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

This is definitely a jealous competitor, they have only written 2 reviews one for us and one for the pub down the road - equally dreadful. I make no comment other than to say that when you are doing a good job competitors are not always happy!!

Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

My husband & I had dinner last Friday night in the restaurant after driving past every day on our week's holiday in nearby Goodwick. I looked at the menu on the website which sounded amazing so we turned up on spec at 8pm. As we hadn't booked we assumed we'd have to wait or not be able to eat at all but the restaurant was not that busy at all - surprisingly. The waiting staff of four were all young people and pleasant enough, but very lax in their customer service - the only negative comment I have.
We sat in a cosy booth at the back of the stylish and lovely restaurant. There were five other parties eating when we arrived.
Our 1st waitress took 10 minutes to take our drinks order which was disappointing. Then another 10 mins to take our meal order. However the food was simply stunning so we accepted the extremely slow and lacklustre service!
Complimentary savoury brioche & slice of granary bread & butter (without asking!) we're delicious.
My starter - asparagus, wild mushrooms, poached egg & peashoots was absolutely beautiful - best I've ever had. My husband's chicken satay skewers were similarly amazing. My main was shoulder of local lamb, gratin dauphinois, French beans & peas with lardons & a delectable jus. The lamb fell apart, it was so tender & perfect, everything was fabulous - personally lardons are not my bag so I merely took them out but the meal was sublime. My husband had chicken supreme with a wonderful light sauce, triple cooked chips, roasted vine tomatoes & Portobello mushroom & he loved it too.
We were too full to sample the delicious sounding desserts unfortunately so contented ourselves with coffee - Americano with home made, melt in the mouth fudge for my husband & a liqueur coffee for me.
Overall, despite the frustratingly slow and impersonal service - 4 different waiters over 90 minutes - we had the most fantastic meal out we've ever had.
Highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in the local area or any visitors. Am seriously wishing we could make the 190 mile round trip for another stunning meal but don't think my husband would go for it!
Bon appetit to those who do go - it really is worth it!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank LaEscocesaCansada
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We booked into this hotel for one night originally and then stayed an extra night. It was a very good experience and we would return. We were spending a few days in West Wales and it was a great location. The Hotel, rooms were well maintained and the food was excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We would recomend this Hotel.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was very good. An Executive room on the first floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lickhill
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for all your positive comments about our food, so nice to hear it. We think we are slowly getting our front of house staff better, and whilst some are very good others do need more training. Next time you come please seek me out and tell me if we have improved the whole dinnig experience, also you must make room for a sweet they are divine.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Went for breakfast at this hotel at 8:15 and was handed a menu. I was still waiting to get served at 8:45 and then had to leave. I complained, and was offered a small bottle of wine, since I don’t drink this was declined. I was still charged for full B&B though!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank ley m
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Unfortuntely the waitress who gave this gentleman the menu then left and the one who took over thought he had already had breakfast - it beggers believe that someone would sit in a restaurant for more than a few minutes without saying anything! We offered him a bottle of wine and a packed lunch but he threw his key across the counter made some derogatory comments and stormed off before we could say anything further!!! his bill had been previously paid by his company.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Luxurious individually furnished rooms, fantastic food and really good service. This is one of my favourite hotels whether on business, with the family or as a couple. Having booked last minute, I could only stay two nights by changing rooms - the staff made it very easy, and gave me a couple of complimentary drinks for the inconvenience, even though it was my fault!

Room Tip: Room 19 has a stunning view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments - in general we get the food and service right, I can never understand people such as the review above who do absolutely nothing to help their situation and then give a bad review. "A real treat" is exactly what we try to achieve