“You MUST try this!”

Wolfscastle Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolf's Castle
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Last Monday we popped in here for a bar meal. The brasserie was buzzing with clients, eating, drinking and chatting. The ambience was warm and welcoming. The team of staff really are amazing, and our meal was absolutely fantastic. The menu options were all mouth watering. My husband and I had the beef Wellington which was literally the most delicious thing we have ever tasted! It was cooked to perfection! If you have never been to the brasserie, you really need to go. And if you've never tried the beef Wellington, you really need to try it! We had a fabulous starter and pudding too, followed by coffee and fudge. We had such a fabulous meal, in super surroundings with perfect staff. Our Monday night was actually rather special, thank you! And we got to take a bag of fudge home too (which I've eaten in two sittings!).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Tom, our head chef, perfected making beef wellington when working in Claridges, and it is fantastic,I agree, unfortunately it is only on from time to time as it is a sharing dish. I am so glad you had a fabulous meal. Thank you.

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

As someone who works with different hotels on a regular basis I can assure you this is a hidden gem. A great bedroom product with fantastic food in their recently renovated restaurant my only regret is that I was in the area on business. The hotel is positioned well between the towns of Fishguard and Haverfordwest with easy access to the local beaches; I will be returning but next time will be for leisure and I'll most definitely work my way through their extensive wine list. All in all a lovely hotel with great staff.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for your positive comments, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights recently D,B&B. The dog being allowed in to the bedroom was a determining factor in choosing this hotel as well as the hotel's location for visiting the Pembrokeshire coast and St. Davids. Have to say how much we enjoyed the food, both breakfasts and dinners. Staff were professional and friendly - if a little enthusiastic to get us to order our puddings. (Needed time for the substantial starter and main to go down!)

My only complaint was that the noise from the bar (directly under the room) carried through to the room. Fortunately, since we stayed midweek, the bar was empty by 11 so this didn't affect our sleep. This might be a problem to light sleepers at busy weekends. Also, a separate, quiet residents' lounge would improve the Country House hotel appeal. Not everyone wants to sit in an area adjacent to the bar which could be a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Room 6 - noise from public rooms below.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Until recently we didn't have a separate lounge at all, and I agree the one we now have is adjacent to the bar, however, we have recently built a garden room with lounge furniture away from the main area and if we don't have a separate party on this can be used as a quiet seating area. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed for 1 night in early january with our dog. Very nice room, good size and nice and warm.
Had dinner in the restaurant, very nice dinner and drinks. Nice to find a place where dogs are not a problem.
Will be back later in the year.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dogs are welcome in our standard rooms, but not in the dining areas, unless of course guide dogs. It is difficult to leave ones dog at home sometimes so we do welcome them.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I arrived at this hotel in the evening and left first thing in the morning, so unfortunately I was unable to witness the picturesque views that I've been recommended. I half expected a hotel within the heart of Haverfordwest town centre, but this was tucked away very nicely from any noisy town scene. The reception area, and the people behind it, were very welcoming,and the restaurant served superb food in the evening - the chef here clearly knows his/her food! The service of one particular waitress did not however fit in with the warm surroundings. They have clearly invested a lot of time (& money) with the modern interior decoration.

Although my particular room did not fit in with the rest of the interior & seem slightly dated, it didn't matter at all - I had everything I needed and importantly, I could not fault the cleanliness of the room. I came for business, so would not think I'd be able to come again soon as it is 4+ hours away for me, but would definitely recommend. I'd give this a 4.5 out of 5, but can only round up - 5 it is!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments. we are continually updating, upgrading, all the rooms in the hotel and like painting the Severn Bridge it is now time to go back to the start and upgrade again. We have in the last 18 months spent a considerable amount of money on building works which have been very well received

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Since my previous review we have visited twice, once seated in the restraurant and the second in the conservatory.
The former no faults, the latter as before, very slow service.
Our starters arrived promptly and then we waited, possibly due to large party we could see arriving, there was no sign of our main course. Despite repeated efforts to catch the attention of the waiter/waitress, they couldnt
Quite see us at the far corner....it was 45 minutes before we received our mains, the young waiter was very polite and appologised profusly and offered a free drink which was gratefuly received.
The food was good but the wolfscastle tends to offer"Pretty food " now so you may leave feeling hungry.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank CherryH25
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Well, at least you keep returning - but I find it disappointing that the meal that had "no faults" you gave no report on, but, again, chose to give a slightly negative review to a meal you felt had service issues. I can only say we gave you a drink by way of apology and our portions, whilst well presented are more than adequate. A three course meal with us is substantial!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have been visiting this hotel for food and the occasional overnight for over 10 years now. It is the best dining experience for miles - delicious meals, great care and attention given by the management and the friendly staff to every detail. And great ambience. Recent extensions have enlarged the hotel and bar by a clever use of space, and to the customary high standard. A delight to visit!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

In the modern business world, average or mediocre is a dangerous area to be in, so we have invested heavily in both staff and refurbishment - Thank you so much for your kind comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolf's Castle
Twr y Felin Hotel
Twr y Felin Hotel
#1 of 6 in St Davids
Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Wolfscastle Country Hotel? Share your experiences!