“Wish we could have stayed longer .....”

Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolf's Castle
newport
“Wish we could have stayed longer .....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We only spent one night here on the 31st May for my husbands birthday and really wished we could have stayed longer. Our room was spotless, staff pleasant and accommodating, they could not do enough for you. Lastly, the food, top notch, stunning. Well done to the staff and management of this hotel, we will definitely be back. Thank you

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Terrible Hotel experience, very sad to find in Pembs and sadly in Wales. My Partner and were meant to stay for 2 nights 28th and 29th May 2014, I booked on line and had an email confirmation from wolfcatsle.com. When we arrived they didn't have a record of our booking, so i used their computer to show them my email confirmation. We ended up staying the first night near by Priskilly Golf club, who gave us a wonderful welcome and lovely hotel that was, wolfcastle agreed to cover these costs originally, but the manger later tried to renege on that agreement, they also agreed we would only pay one nights stay for the night we would be with them. The following night , (29th) Wolfcastle arranged for us to stay back with them in room 7 an "executive suite", we tried to make the best of it but when we arrived the room was unclean both bathroom and bedroom with dog hair along the end of the bed, the bathroom had human hairs in corners and floor and over towel heater. My partner was very disappointed, i did my best to clean what i could, we also found in the night as going into the en-suite bathroom that the carpet gripper at the door way was coming through the carpet, so you end up standing on effectively s series of sharp pins. At check out the receptionist informed me that the Manager had refused to honour the original agreement. I asked for the manager to be called and and he and i discussed how unpleasant my experiences were. He and i had a 10 minute discussion about the the issues around their and their partner booking companies errors, he tried to blame myself and my partner. When i showed him the printed off email confirmation with all my details on it which i had provided and had come from wolfcatsle.com he gave some ground. in the end after 10 minutes of arguing it was agreed that i would pay the one night board. I was so sad at my experiences having stayed at the hotel several times over the last few years and loved it In short terrible management, very unsatisfactory room. Very poor customer service. I was ashamed to find this in Wales. The only two plus points about our break were the Priskilly Golf Club, which is run by the lovely evens family, and their welcome, and the food in the Wolfcastle. The dining experience in the Wolfcatsle hotel and quality of food is very good but the hotel stay itself on my latest experience was frankly awful.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7, unclean with nasty carpet gripper which might cut your feet in the night.
13 Thank Huw13138
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
As one can probably ascertain from this review myself and this guest did not get along!!!

Over the last 37 years I have had a few awkward customers, but this guest was defiantly in the top one!
He booked everything online, it looks as if we have replied but everything is automated and in his booking he put his girlfriend down as the guest, with himself only as the point of contact – all details were in his girlfriends name with his email address/contact which is why he received the automated confirmation.

When checking in he gave his name and insisted that it wasn’t booked under any other name.

We apologised profusely and paid for a taxi, accommodation at a neighbouring hotel and gave them dinner at our hotel.
The next day on finding that a lady had not checked into the hotel he was contacted to ask if he knew the name, to which he replied, yes that was the lady he was with.

As it was totally his fault, whilst we would accept an empty room at our hotel for one night as a show of good will, I felt he should pay for the one he stayed in.

He would not agree he was even 1% at fault and then he mentioned the dog hairs – no dog had stayed in the room for months – it was fluff from the carpet – he never mentioned any hairs in the bathroom whilst he was here or on his comment card.

By the time he reached home with the state he was in, I’m surprised he couldn’t think of many other supposed problems – the grips showing though he was quite right about, and I apologise for that, it is, of course now fixed.

On his comment card he states the bed comfort and food were excellent, again many thanks for that.

Room 7, which he stayed in, is not an executive room.
St Albans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had an excellent Sunday lunch here a few weeks ago. We were a large family group ranging enormously in age but everyone was well catered for. The menu was first class, plenty of choice, the same is true of the wine list. All the staff were charming and very helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LACBStAlbans
Braunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Have stayed in this hotel for the past 3 days for my cousins wedding on Saturday.

The hotel and the staff were both exceptional and we all had a fantastic weekend.

Would thoroughly recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MJD28
Haifa, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I had never been to the Wales countryside, only a couple of coastal towns and must admit that it is indeed beautiful country! All those small curvy roads leading everywhere and nowhere are simply magic!
Wolfscastle is a combination of city and countryside hotel on the edge of rustic chic B&B style... the staff is nice and complacent with the customer, especially foreigners such as myself... and specially when you are doing geological fieldwork based at a special place and not the more usual hostel / econo-lodge / camping situation... it was a very pleasure break from the routine!

Beds and bathroom are impeccable, with extra little details and touches that really make your stay a bit more special: home-made cookies, little basket with extra toiletries, etc.
The views from the rooms are beautiful...
Breakfast is substantial as is the traditionally delicious English Breakfast...
But the biggest surprise was the dinning experience: I wasn't expecting the gourmet quality of the dishes and deserts! Really sublime. Chapeau to the Chefs!

All in all, a very pleasant, up-scale experience :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We were married in August 2014. I wrote a slightly more detailed report to the manager and owner over three weeks ago and I have still not heard anything back from them. Which again sums up their lack of concern for customer feedback. They are a big fish in a small pond and they are too complacent by far.
Good Points
• The new extension to the hotel is an excellent venue for a small/medium gathering. The design, the access to the gardens and the acoustics are all great.
• The staff were excellent in fact the manager and the owner could learn some manners and customer care from them.
• The food was excellent and the service during the meal etc. faultless.

Bad Points
• Despite booking the hotel in January and two subsequent visits - the night before the wedding and the morning of the wedding was fraught, stressful and upsetting.
• The Barclay Room which was allocated for the marriage ceremony, which we had been unable to see before-hand, as it had been used as a store-room, was completely unsuitable as a wedding venue and we felt upset and insulted that the owner cared so little about our special day.
o The walls are marked.
o The pictures are dull unattractive and unsuitable.
o The curtains badly hung.
o The chairs were old and battered with bits of foam showing through the leatherette.
o The table cloths had been ironed, stored and lay creased and untidily on the one table.
o The carpet has three iron shaped burn marks.
o Other than the 12 ugly chairs and the unattractively displayed table the room was devoid of anything. No ornamentation, flowers or anything that would make it an attractive room to be married in.
o The corridor leading to the Barclay Suite, the one the bride groom and guests use to enter the room, is where the household keep laundry and all manner of behind-scenes hotel paraphernalia, only it is not quite behind the scenes. Unattractive orange curtains haphazardly hang, partly pulled revealing the chaos behind.
o The view outside the window, on our wedding day, was of piles of red and gold discarded chairs half covered with a blue tarpaulin and accompanied with some other discarded objects – and this was visible from every window and would have been in the background of any photographs or videos.
• Having seen the new extension where the meal and reception was taking place, on the previous Sunday, it was stripped out and bare until 3 hours before the wedding, meaning we were unable to prepare the table and flowers etc. as arranged the night before.
• The owner Andrew seems to enjoy brinksmanship but when things go wrong, although he may be pulling strings behind the scenes, he does not communicate with his guests.
It then appears he holds a grudge:-
o Despite seeing him a number of times on our wedding day after everything has been sorted out he avoided contact rather than coming to congratulate us and we experienced exactly the same reaction the next morning when we were departing.
• The above also applies to the manager – who even when checking us out – did not ask any of us whether we had enjoyed our stay, or congratulate us the bride and groom on our wedding.
• We stayed in the honeymoon suite, which is disappointing.
• The bills for us and our guests were not itemised clearly and impossible to decipher and break down.

So to sum up, despite having chosen the Wolfscastle Hotel - as people who regularly dine there, have recommended it to others and who appreciate the contemporary décor, the venue and the outstanding food - we feel our wedding day was marred by the attitude of the owner and manager.
We feel that as were working on a relatively small budget and with only 11 people in total, that little care or consideration was given to us – before, during or afterwards, by the management.
Things did go wrong, but everything, from the service onwards was great and we had a wonderful time. However, we would have felt so much better had we received an apology and congratulations from the two people with whom we had organised our day.

Room Tip: If you are booking for something special request to see the room first. DO NOT believe promises made...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lynda F
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
I was most disappointed to hear that the Bride felt her overall wedding experience at the Wolfscastle Country Hotel didn’t live up to her expectations, even after she took the time to hand deliver thank you cards to our restaurant manager and 3 of the waiting staff, as in her own words, “the food was excellent and the service during the day etc. faultless”

The Bride centres her complaints around issues linked with the Barclay suite, 99% of which would have been eradicated had she not entered the room before it had been fully prepared for the wedding, something that doesn’t take very long for a gathering of 11.

All effort was made to satisfy the Bride, I provided my very best staff who quickly and quietly turned the Victorian dining room around allowing the Bride & Groom to get married in its graceful surroundings, further to this we provided a bar person to stay and look after them, leaving myself to run the restaurant and brasserie – I apologise if I did not go down to congratulate the Bride and Groom but I checked on them on a couple of occasions to ensure they were having a good time and they most defiantly were.

On departure the hotel manager, who came in on his only day off that week to ensure that everything was correctly set up, asked everyone if everything was satisfactory as we value feedback, and no issues were brought up regarding any of the bills in fact everyone, including the groom, expressed no complaints about the day on checking out.

I find it very disappointing that someone who admitted “the staff were excellent – the food excellent & the service during the meal – faultless” then choose to have a go at the two people, the hotel manager & myself – who made sure that it all happened.

Good luck to the Bride & Groom in their future life and thank you to my excellent staff.
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have passed through Wolfscastle many times and only recently decided to stay for B & B after a function to launch the new extension. The quality of the accommodation was first class and the staff friendly and helpful. Our breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and prompt service. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 1 was very spacious...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolf's Castle
Gellifawr Woodland Retreat
Premier Inn Haverfordwest (North/A40) Hotel
Broadmead Boutique B&B
Penally Abbey Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!