“Private dinner party”

Wolfscastle Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolf's Castle
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Thank you to Andrew and Family and the staff at Allt yr afon for a delicious 5 course meal last night to end off the Welsh rarebits/great little places collection golf day at Priskilly Forest Golf club.Food, wine and company was lovely in the new garden room-Diolch yn fawr and our best wishes for the future .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have read the reply from the Manager to the review “Wolfscastle Hotel- Worst hotel experience in the last 4 years”.

After reading the other responses to other negative reviews for the hotel I am saddened but not surprised to see a similar response form the manager/owner and felt I had to feedback my own personal experience regarding that stay…

My partner booked what was meant to be a lovely break for us. This booking was confirmed to my partner via an email confirmation from wolfscastle.com all details were in his name which included the following:

Branded email from Wolfscastle.com
Wolfscastle’s own booking reference: OBM4848268
My Partners Name
My Partners Full address
My Partners Telephone number
The details of the arrival date and period of stay and the cost.
It also confirmed that payment details had been taken (on his credit card).

When we arrived on the 28th we were warmly welcomed by the staff however it soon become apparent that there was an issue with our booking. The Receptionist asked if the room was booked under my partner’s details and whether anyone else had booked the room, to which he confirmed that he had made the booking, no one else had booked it and provided evidence that the booking was under his name and his details.

At this point it was already awkward and not a good start to our break. My partner then offered to show them the booking if they let him access a PC. He then went, at their request behind the reception area, with both staff, accessed his email account showing them the original booking confirmation from wolfscastle.com which they then asked permission to print off. The email contained all details in his name, gave the specific booking reference confirmation and was headed with the Wolfscastle brand. With all these details (and these were the only details he had received, as this was the booking confirmation, with everything in his name) the staff could not find or trace the booking.

We then sat awkwardly in the reception area with little information other than an apology and “we are looking into it” for half an hour, worried after a long drive we would have to depart again. When my partner enquired what was going on they confirmed they had no trace of the booking and had no spare room to give us.

This was meant to be a special break for us and we were obviously very disappointed, felt let down and unhappy. The Receptionist arranged alternative bed and breakfast accommodation of a standard similar to themselves and it was agreed that we would return in the evening for a complimentary dinner via taxi and that this would all be paid for by the Hotel for the errors made and the inconvenience caused to ourselves. It was further agreed that we would return the next evening for our scheduled stay and that we would be upgraded to an Executive Room. This was later confirmed by further email correspondence sent to my partner that we would be staying in an “Executive Double” with a reference: WCH001203/1. I have noted this so the manager can review a further error and/or inaccuracy in his previous reply, as he has stated that the room provided was not an executive room!

We were determined to try and make the best of it so agreed to the arrangements and undertakings offered. We stayed with the lovely Mrs Joy Evans of Preskilly Golf Course and Hotel the first night, who made us very welcome. We had our evening meal at Wolfscastle that night, the food wasfantastic, but after the meal the lady who had been on reception hotel approached us as we were having our final drink in the bar/restaurant lounge. She informed us that the website had made an error and/or changed the booking confirmation into my name, which my partner had included as he was asked when booking to allow both of us to charge items to the room (if needed) for him to settle up at the end of our stay. The lady agreed that this was not our error and that the agreement to resolve this issue, as outlined above, would stand.

The next day after leaving the lovely Preskilly Gold Club Hotel we arrived and was shown to the “Executive Room” (Wolfscastle’s own staff statement to us and not an assumption made by us, and described as such in an email from them).

I was initially excited to think that we would be staying in an Executive Room as the pictures on the website look great, but I was disappointed when I entered as it did not look “Executive” at all. The bathroom was unclean and there was a lot of dog hair at the end of the bed (please see picture attached), which my partner had tried to pick and brush off. I realised that my partner tried to discreetly clean the room to limit my disappointment. In reply to the Manager’s response about no dogs having stayed in that room for months, in truth I can almost believe this statement by the standard of cleanliness in the room and bathroom which looked as if they could very well not have been cleaned properly in the length of time the manager mentions.

At checkout we were told by the same lady Receptionist, who originally tried to resolve the booking issue and who made the agreement for our stay, that the Manager had refused to honour the agreement and had decided that we were to pay full price for the room we did not stay in on 28 May, thus breaking the agreement of Wolfcastles’ own staff. This disregard for us as customers and the agreement put in place by his own staff shocked us and was the final straw for my partner. My partner then went on and asked for the Manager to be called and additionally said he would be happy to walk up to the room and show how unclean it was, including the dog hair and a suspect white-ish stain on the front of the red sofa seat cushion.
My partner suggested I wait for him in the car so as not to spoil our holiday further while he discussed the issues with the manager. My partner told me how the Manager blamed an automated booking system and how my partners was also blamed for the error, and how the manager expected my partner to pay the full cost, reneging on the agreement his staff made. According to my partner, he refused and asked the lady receptionist to provide the manager with the booking confirmation received from the hotel, noting his contact details and relayed to the Manager how he was not responsible for the failures in their booking system or the hotels processes and failures in administration of bookings.

Further to this, my partner outlined his complaint about Room 7; the dog hair at the bottom of the bed, the lack of cleanliness and the sharp carpet gripper that was coming through the bathroom, and offered to review the room with the Manager. The Manager refused and appeared to be aware that Room 7 was not their best room, but apologised about the carpet gripper issue and would investigate this further. On hearing that even the Manager does not appreciate Room 7 to be the best room added to the disappointment for me as I felt that we were given a sub-standard room for an issue that was not our fault.

It is sad indeed that my partner had to gain the position “defiantly in the top 1!” in awkward customer stakes but I am sure he will bear that burden. Perhaps after 37 years in the business the Manager should invest in refreshing his knowledge and skills in customer service/complaints handling training for himself, or maybe should consider a move to a less customer focussed career.

It is clear my partner and the Manager certainly did not see eye to eye; the Manager is correct in this. I am pleased to hear that the sharp gripper issue has been fixed and that the Manager acknowledged this in his response. Had the Manager agreed to accompany my partner to review the room, he would have gained considerable insight which would have been indisputable about the condition of the room and our complaints. We could not fit all the details of our complaints on the small leaflet sized feedback card which we took the time to fill out, acknowledging positives and negatives to the Manager and his staff, and felt that we should provide fuller feedback in person and online as it is clear from previous reviews on this website that the Manager seems to take an interest in what people think about the establishment and the overall experience that they have.

When a manager fails to take the opportunity to fully explore a complaint and tries to break agreements and commitments made by their own staff acting on behalf of the hotel, you have to question that manager: if the staff did not have the authority to make those binding commitments in the first place the hotel should change its approach to decision-making and handling complaints procedure.

As my partner said both in his review and the feedback form left the food is very good and we would commend the staff in quality and service here. The hotel experience however was terrible and made much worse by the Manager’s approach to our complaint.

I am saddened and disappointed that I have had to write this to give an honest opinion and experience of the other person that should have enjoyed our stay at the Wolfscastle.

20  Thank Renee13138
AlltyrAfon, General Manager at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

The first response the a review for this stay was from the owner, who dealt with these guests, not the manager.

The situation could have been avoided had the guests provided the name they supplied when booking the room online. They were asked several times if the booking could be under another name, but refused to supply another name. After checking the booking online again this morning I can confirm the guest's name supplied was different from the booker's name, which is the name they gave upon arrival. This is a standard facility of online booking sites to allow a person such as a personal assistant or travel agency to book a room for a guest with a different name from the person making the booking. The room they booked, a Standard Double, Dinner Bed & Breakfast, was available to them all along.

The credit card details provided online are for a guarantee only, not for prepayment.

I can only apologise for the dog hair present on the base of the bed. Our housekeeping team have been informed and this will not happen again. Dogs are allowed only in our Standard Bedrooms.

I am happy to see that the guests enjoyed their meals and that the service was good.

The owner did change his mind regarding a free meal and taxi after the fault with the booking was found to be the guest's, not of the hotel. However, the guest refused to pay for these services provided. The guest also refused to pay for the night's accommodation provided at the alternative site.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Spent one night here with two business colleagues. We were looked after very well indeed. Good sized Clean Bedroom,with well appointed Bathroom.
The meals were very good. Will stay again when visiting this region.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We only spent one night here on the 31st May for my husbands birthday and really wished we could have stayed longer. Our room was spotless, staff pleasant and accommodating, they could not do enough for you. Lastly, the food, top notch, stunning. Well done to the staff and management of this hotel, we will definitely be back. Thank you

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Terrible Hotel experience, very sad to find in Pembs and sadly in Wales. My Partner and were meant to stay for 2 nights 28th and 29th May 2014, I booked on line and had an email confirmation from wolfcatsle.com. When we arrived they didn't have a record of our booking, so i used their computer to show them my email confirmation. We ended up staying the first night near by Priskilly Golf club, who gave us a wonderful welcome and lovely hotel that was, wolfcastle agreed to cover these costs originally, but the manger later tried to renege on that agreement, they also agreed we would only pay one nights stay for the night we would be with them. The following night , (29th) Wolfcastle arranged for us to stay back with them in room 7 an "executive suite", we tried to make the best of it but when we arrived the room was unclean both bathroom and bedroom with dog hair along the end of the bed, the bathroom had human hairs in corners and floor and over towel heater. My partner was very disappointed, i did my best to clean what i could, we also found in the night as going into the en-suite bathroom that the carpet gripper at the door way was coming through the carpet, so you end up standing on effectively s series of sharp pins. At check out the receptionist informed me that the Manager had refused to honour the original agreement. I asked for the manager to be called and and he and i discussed how unpleasant my experiences were. He and i had a 10 minute discussion about the the issues around their and their partner booking companies errors, he tried to blame myself and my partner. When i showed him the printed off email confirmation with all my details on it which i had provided and had come from wolfcatsle.com he gave some ground. in the end after 10 minutes of arguing it was agreed that i would pay the one night board. I was so sad at my experiences having stayed at the hotel several times over the last few years and loved it In short terrible management, very unsatisfactory room. Very poor customer service. I was ashamed to find this in Wales. The only two plus points about our break were the Priskilly Golf Club, which is run by the lovely evens family, and their welcome, and the food in the Wolfcastle. The dining experience in the Wolfcatsle hotel and quality of food is very good but the hotel stay itself on my latest experience was frankly awful.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7, unclean with nasty carpet gripper which might cut your feet in the night.
13  Thank Huw13138
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

As one can probably ascertain from this review myself and this guest did not get along!!!

Over the last 37 years I have had a few awkward customers, but this guest was defiantly in the top one!
He booked everything online, it looks as if we have replied but everything is automated and in his booking he put his girlfriend down as the guest, with himself only as the point of contact – all details were in his girlfriends name with his email address/contact which is why he received the automated confirmation.

When checking in he gave his name and insisted that it wasn’t booked under any other name.

We apologised profusely and paid for a taxi, accommodation at a neighbouring hotel and gave them dinner at our hotel.
The next day on finding that a lady had not checked into the hotel he was contacted to ask if he knew the name, to which he replied, yes that was the lady he was with.

As it was totally his fault, whilst we would accept an empty room at our hotel for one night as a show of good will, I felt he should pay for the one he stayed in.

He would not agree he was even 1% at fault and then he mentioned the dog hairs – no dog had stayed in the room for months – it was fluff from the carpet – he never mentioned any hairs in the bathroom whilst he was here or on his comment card.

By the time he reached home with the state he was in, I’m surprised he couldn’t think of many other supposed problems – the grips showing though he was quite right about, and I apologise for that, it is, of course now fixed.

On his comment card he states the bed comfort and food were excellent, again many thanks for that.

Room 7, which he stayed in, is not an executive room.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had an excellent Sunday lunch here a few weeks ago. We were a large family group ranging enormously in age but everyone was well catered for. The menu was first class, plenty of choice, the same is true of the wine list. All the staff were charming and very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LACBStAlbans
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Have stayed in this hotel for the past 3 days for my cousins wedding on Saturday.

The hotel and the staff were both exceptional and we all had a fantastic weekend.

Would thoroughly recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Twr y Felin Hotel
Twr y Felin Hotel
#1 of 6 in St Davids
Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Wolfscastle Country Hotel? Share your experiences!