“Birthday treat” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolf's Castle
Rhydlewis, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My partner booked a night & meal as a treat for my birthday.my partner was greeted at reception but I was referred to as the cealiac ! not by a name ! quite unpleasant.
Our meal was dissappointing as we were not told about the specials on offer and as we were seated outside we did not realise until we were shown to our seats inside.I was asked how my meal was and I did say it was rather salty.My partner had ordered upon booking a week earlier some gluten free Birthday cake.We did not recieve cake and we think they had forgotten as the waitress was panicking. We had some choc dessert which I found inedible as it was extremely salty.But the salted caramel ice cream that came with it was gorgeous and yes I do love salted desserts ! My partner did eat some of my dessert but also thought it was terrible.Also the waitress was very nice but not very professional,no wine list offered,did not explain cocktails,also we could hear her moaning about going home.I am sorry, as the staff seem very friendly.and the hotel is very nice.Shame our experience was so bad.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank priley46
AlltyrAfon, Owner at Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
I am sorry this lady took offence to the receptionist's enquiry if she was the Coeliac, she was just checking that this was the right lady - however - the receptionist who took the original booking forgot to inform the kitchen. The chef and myself have had words with him. The lady filled in a comment card in which she says the food was excellent - but did complain about the forgotten cake, which she also mentioned to the receptionist on departure & now on trip advisor. She loved the salted ice cream, thank you for mentioning that.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
pembroke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I chose this hotel for a birthday lunch for my grandson (aged17). Four of us dined in the conservatory restaurant which was light, modern and airy. We chose the three course Sunday lunch menu, all courses were light and delicious. My grandson said the roast beef sirloin was the best he had ever had. Service was friendly and helpful but not intrusive. We will certainly return we all had a wonderful meal.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind comments, having spent 40 years plus in catering, I always feel Sunday lunch should be good, local, fresh food, but it is one meal I feel should be not over played with, just do it well!
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

It was a pleasure to stay in the Hotel it was just for one night but am looking forward to a return visit sooner than later if possible. We arrived at an exceedingly busy time, there was a sixth form end of term concert going on and the bar was buzzing with people enjoying the bar menu, we were looked after as if it was a quite night total service, shown to our room which was comfortable and the bathroom facilities good, then came the delight of eating in the restaurant, one could not ask for better, food and service alike. Set in Pembrokeshire one of most beautiful areas of Europe the hotel compliments the area with it genuine Welsh welcome

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Judith M
Again, thank you for your positive comments. We have been a member of Welsh Rarebits for over 25 years, it is a great publication and we all strive to be better than the other members - not a bad thing for the customers!!
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I received an email from the hotel requesting that I review their hotel following our recent visit therefore I will do so.

Using the hotel's own website to book the room, I navigated straight to the 'Book Online Now' tab where you could search for the date required, indicate the number of guests and select the type of room with either B&B or DB&B. I selected a Standard Twin at £160 for 2 persons Dinner, Bed and Breakfast. Had I looked at the Tariff beforehand I would have seen a note stating that the cost of Dinner allowed was £25 per head - but I didn't. This was pointed out by the hotel when I queried an additional charge for food on the bill and they explained that our meal had gone over the £25 allowance per head - however the hotel understood the deficiencies of the website and deleted the charge. On the plus side we had been upgraded to an Executive twin from the Standard twin which gave us a spacious room and bathroom, this was appreciated. Ten years have elapsed since our last stay at Wolfscastle and considerable changes have been made, including the construction of a Brasserie and extension to the Banqueting Suite - both improving the facilities the hotel has to offer. There is adequate car parking on site.

Our room, number 11, on the top floor (no lift - but assistance offered with luggage) benefits from an excellent view and as stated above plenty of space and adequate facilities. It is also far enough away from the Banqueting Suite to limit the noise from Weddings and Prom Nights which take place regularly. The room/bathroom looks a little tired in places requiring some maintenance, an ongoing programme with most hotels I imagine. Dinner can be taken in the Restaurant or the Brasserie (the Restaurant is quieter, the Brasserie includes a Bar). Breakfast is served in the Brasserie. Dinner was excellent, however with the prices stated on the menu a 3 course meal within the £25 per head allowance would not be possible. The dessert was the only disappointment - bread and butter pudding (which was excellent) served with caramel salt ice cream (horrible - bring back vanilla). I was told that everyone loves it - well here are two people who do not.

The staff were all very friendly and pleasant; a particular compliment goes to the Receptionist, she is very efficient, friendly and thoughtful - a great asset to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for making your comments mostly very positive and you are correct in saying that we continually upgrade. We have recently spent £300,000 with more to come - a lot for a small hotel! We do state that our bread and butter pudding is served with salted caramel ice cream, a modern favourite - but, of course, vanilla is available upon request.
Staffordshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The staff were welcoming, friendly, helpful and professional. The brasserie, where breakfast is served, is bright and modern and the food delicious and beautifully presented. The service is good, I had room service one night and didn't have to wait. My room had a beautiful view of the countryside and, as it was quite warm during my stay, I had the windows open. The downside of that was the traffic noise from the nearby main road, however it didn't keep me awake, it just spoiled the idyllic Welsh countryside! The shower was really powerful.

I extended my stay by two nights and had to move rooms for one of the nights, the bed in the second room was really comfortable and I slept longer than I had intended! I think there was a wedding party, as I could hear the rhythm of music downstairs. I counted my blessings I was on the top floor, as I think it could have spoiled my last night.

The only negative thing I have to say about the hotel is that the décor in the older part of the property is rather dated and the carpets in some areas were ready for replacement. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel as a base for touring the magnificent Pembrokeshire coast.

Room Tip: If you are made aware of a party or wedding, ask for the top floor where the noise might not disturb...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BranstonGirl
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

we've just stayed at this fabulous hotel, there are no negatives to staying here, everything was to a high standard, from the warm welcome on our arrival, to the beautiful room we stayed in and the fantastic view of the welsh countryside, the staff were professional and helpful, food was excellent, car parking was safe and ample, overall an excellent place to stay to discover Wales, have recommended this to friends, and will stay here again when visiting Wales.

Room Tip: I up graded from a standard room, and it was well worth the money.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah J
Thank you for being so kind with your comments. We always strive to be the best!
Aberdovey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Arrived early evening after a glorious golf day at Priskilly (delightful family owned 9hole course in very good condition which provided a very good test - highly recommended) to be welcomed by very friendly and welcoming staff. Dined in the new garden room. The food was exceptional, certainly one of the best combinations of taste and flavours encountered for some time. Having known and visited Wolfescastle for many years the quality of food and service has moved on a few notches and now provides some of the best food available in Wales. The quality is certainly great value for money. One would pay a lot more for the same in so many places but that is the beauty of this establishment - providing great quality food along with banter and fun with the well trained staff - what more does one require!! Once again a big thank you to Andrew, Mandy and staff for looking after us so well. PS - must not forget the delightful lady on breakfast along with wonderful local eggs and bacon. All best wishes for the summer in the new look brasserie and garden room

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Twr y Felin Hotel
Twr y Felin Hotel
#2 of 6 in St Davids
Penally Abbey Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!