“Our idea of heaven.”
Review of Connemara Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inishnee
Connemara Cottages
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We have just got back from a week in Cill Cottage and cannot put into words just how fabulous a time we had. The cottage is just as advertised and a real little home from home. Geraldine, the owner, couldn't be more welcoming.

There is just so much to do. My wife and I had gone with the intention of doing some hill walking and maybe pony trekking along a beach. We weren't disappointed. On the Monday we had a warm up by climbing Diamond Hill in the Connemara National Park. Not too difficult a climb and lovely views of the 12 Ben mountains from the top.

We were going to have a restful day on Tuesday but decided instead to drive down to The Burren. Take the route through Kinvarra and stop and enjoy the little harbour and a coffee and cake in one of the cafe's. So peaceful and picturesque.

Wednesday we were ready for the big one. Croagh Patrick in neighbouring Mayo. The most difficult climb we have ever attempted. The going is very steep and the route is loose rocks and skree all the way. But boy is it worth the effort. Nearly 800 metres up and the view is breathtaking in every direction. But be warned, coming down is a lot harder than going up. While we were up there Mountain Rescue had to come up and take one lady down who'd had a bad fall.

Well in need of a rest we had a lazy day on Thursday and went into nearby Clifden where we spent the evening listending to live music in Conneely's. The Guinness really does taste even better in Ireland.

If you want to try some pony trekking I'd reccommend The Point about 14 kms from the cottage on the coast road to Cliffden. The lady who runs it, Anne, is lovely and will chat all day if you have the time.

We had originally planned a week in Provence but that fell through so decided on Connemara instead. Best holiday decision we ever made. Cannot recommend Geraldine's cottage enough.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dominic T

Reviewed 18 November 2011

We stayed in Cill Cottage for a few nights last June and I have never lost the urge to just pack everything up and head back as soon as possible.
Was going out on a limb after seeing the cottage advertised online and my better half was demanding to be impressed if I was to take her away from city living. I was not only relieved when we drove over the hill that leads down to this gorgeous little cottage, I was ecstatic to see the view it had towards the Twelve Bens. A completely unspoilt view that has not changed in hundreds of years. The beautiful interior of the cottage was an added bonus as I expected something rustic. It was modern and very, very cosy with a lovely fire and a view that could change from one minute to the next.
We just had a new baby so we arrived very worn down, especially my wife but after a few days in Cill Cottage the batteries were brimming with energy and we were ready to take on the world again. Incidentally, our new little baby came with us and the cottage was more than comfortable for the three of us.
The island of Insihnee is gorgeous with lovely walks along old grassy roads with the local ponies for company. Roundstone is very close by, and Clifden just a little further on so you are always close to the supply lines despite feeling completely unplugged from the hustle and bustle (classifying Roundstone as part of the hustle and bustle gives you an idea of just how tranquil this place is).
Actually meant to write this months ago but didn't want to share the secret but figured a place this great needs to be shared out.
Can't wait to go back. If you're looking for a break to relax, look no further, this is paradise.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank BillyTheFish77
Reviewed 14 September 2010

we stayed 1 week and just loved the cottage. It was great coming back there every eveing after a busy day and just enjoy the view and the silence.
what we did : we went to the Conemara national park and climbed diamond hill (beautiful 360° view), corrib lake and rent a fishing boat from an angling center (much more fun than the organised boat trips on the lake), rent a bike to tour aran island , cylcle sky road close to clifden, saw the fjord, enjoyed the food and the guiness in the local pubs ....and many other things.....

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caro67_10
Reviewed 29 May 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Island Cottage. Geraldine was great to chat to, and very helpful with advice and information on the area. Innishnee is close to all the things we wanted to see in Connemara, and many unexpected surprises too. The cottage is equipped with everything you could need while on holiday. But it’s really the peaceful silence and the beautiful views that make this place special. We spent many evening just relaxing and appreciating the wonder of it all...

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alvinward
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We have stayed in Cill Cottage Innishnee 3 times now and can never wait to go back! The whole area is stunning with views from every angle,so much to explore at a pace so unhurried and relaxed one leaves again truely refreshed and recharged! Cill cottage is perfect in every way from the cosy peat burning fire on a chilly evening to laying in bed gazing out the window at the wonderful views enjoying the silence. Nothing is too much trouble for Geraldine,we even stayed when there was no water on the island and she couldnt do enough! A truely special place we love it and will continue going back.Thank you Geraldine.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2010

I have stayed with Geraldine at Cill Cottage about six times over the last few years. The island is unspoilt and definitely far from the madding crowd. The cottages have all the luxuries of a city apartment but in rugged, stunning surroundings. Geraldine runs a tight ship and every eventuality is catered for. She is on site and friendly and helpful and also respects the space of her visitors.

For me this is the perfect holiday. It is a far flung location with none of the difficulties often associated with going to an island. You can drive on to the island and Roundstone itself is only a couple of minutes by car. There are inumerable places for walking and sightseeing but I must admit I find my self hanging out on the island more often than not.

I will defintely be back again and again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I have spent 6 months Oct 09 – Easter 2010 in Cill Cottage, Inishnee. It was such a great experience that it’s not easy to convey it in a comment here. But, if you can take time out of your life to live close to nature, watch the seasons, experience the changing weather of the west of Ireland, Inishnee is perfect; remote but not lonely. It is an ideal retreat for an artist or writer. Geraldine runs her place really professionally and left me to my own devices – I was completing a book during my time here and as the cottage has broadband, I was able to work from the cottage. Cill Cottage is close to the shore and the whole place is full of wildlife – herons, pheasants and hares. Two calves were born in the spring during my time there. Amy, the Connemara Pony keeps you company. The clear skies at night were brilliant for stargazing. The location is wonderful – excursions in all directions. Climb Cashel Hill, walk on the Bog Road, walk Gurteen Strand and Dog’s Bay. O'Dowd's in nearby Roundstone is an excellent place for a good meal. Can’t recommend Cill Cottage highly enough. Thank you Geraldine and the kind neighbours.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo

Been to Connemara Cottages? Share your experiences!