“I can't wait to return - one of my best holidays ever and in the most beautiful place on earth” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Connemara Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inishnee
Connemara Cottages
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

My mother was born and grew up on Innishnee and as a child in the 70s and 80s I loved travelling from England to visit family there. I even played with a lovely girl in a neighbouring cottage - and I was so amazed and excited to find that online that that same girl was Geraldine, and that she was now renting out cottages on Innishnee for people to stay in! I was so happy to bring my four children and husband there this year, and we could not have stayed with a nicer person than Geraldine, or in a more beautiful location. I was so proud to show my family where my mother and my family from generations back had come from, and was amazed to find my mother's great grandparents buried in the little medieval graveyard on Innishnee near to Island Cottage. We saw hares and hooded crows, I heard cuckoos and lots of other birds, and the mountains and the sea were as breathtakingly lovely as I remembered. Next time I hope to see seals, as we learnt at the end of our holiday that they often come up near the cottage. We had delicious lunches in Roundstone and visited Clifden too, but I was so happy just to walk around Innishnee and relax in our lovely holiday home.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Anne B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Hi - We stayed at Cill Cottage, Inishnee last January and it was wonderful! The owner Geraldine was a very welcoming but not intrusive hostess and the cottage was warm and comfortable and very peaceful - exactly what we needed! We would definitely recommend this to people - even in January we were able to stay cosy and enjoy the stunning views and walks. Thanks Geraldine - sorry it has taken us so long to write a review!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Traveller772
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

- the cottage is very well equipped
- fuel for the fire was provided by the owner
- the owner is extremely helpful and welcoming
- the location is feels remote and completely away from the world, while the shops in Roundstone are only a 10 min drive
- fantastic views of the ocean and the island, lots of wildlife around
- Wifi signal is poor in cill cottage, but it does work
- the DVD collection was not great by our taste so I would advise bringing your own DVDs for long winter nights

Room Tip: Both cottages are on the ocean shore. Cill cottage is truly separate while island cottage is shared...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank greg0ryl345
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

We were fortunate to spend an idilic week at Island Cottage in September. From the moment Geraldine welcomed us with a blazing peat fire until she waved us away was a truly memorable holiday. The fully equipped cottage is in a wonderful location, quiet with spectacular views and yet close to the charmingRoundstone Village. Connemara itself offers many great places to explore. We had quiet days, busy days, sunny days and rainy days but all of which were enjoyable. Geraldine has created a real home from home to which we hope to return to soon.

Steve Glennie

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

There are so many wonderful things to say about the short 3 days we spent in Cill Cottage on the beautiful island of Inishnee. The location was perfect, offering the most fantastic views. It was extremely peaceful and we wish we could have stayed for longer. The cottage is modern and well equipped and we particularly loved curling up in front of the peat fire. The owner Geraldine was delightful and could not be any more welcoming. She was bubbly and helpful while still being very respectful of your privacy. It is such a wonderfully tranquil place to base yourself, it has a truly remote feeling yet you are only minutes away from civilisations and many of the lovely sights of Connemara. If we are ever in the area again we would definitely chose to stay in Cill cottage again. It is also worth mentioning that the wifi, which is essential for us while we travel, was very reliable and free of charge.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Devizes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

We have just got back from a week in Cill Cottage and cannot put into words just how fabulous a time we had. The cottage is just as advertised and a real little home from home. Geraldine, the owner, couldn't be more welcoming.

There is just so much to do. My wife and I had gone with the intention of doing some hill walking and maybe pony trekking along a beach. We weren't disappointed. On the Monday we had a warm up by climbing Diamond Hill in the Connemara National Park. Not too difficult a climb and lovely views of the 12 Ben mountains from the top.

We were going to have a restful day on Tuesday but decided instead to drive down to The Burren. Take the route through Kinvarra and stop and enjoy the little harbour and a coffee and cake in one of the cafe's. So peaceful and picturesque.

Wednesday we were ready for the big one. Croagh Patrick in neighbouring Mayo. The most difficult climb we have ever attempted. The going is very steep and the route is loose rocks and skree all the way. But boy is it worth the effort. Nearly 800 metres up and the view is breathtaking in every direction. But be warned, coming down is a lot harder than going up. While we were up there Mountain Rescue had to come up and take one lady down who'd had a bad fall.

Well in need of a rest we had a lazy day on Thursday and went into nearby Clifden where we spent the evening listending to live music in Conneely's. The Guinness really does taste even better in Ireland.

If you want to try some pony trekking I'd reccommend The Point about 14 kms from the cottage on the coast road to Cliffden. The lady who runs it, Anne, is lovely and will chat all day if you have the time.

We had originally planned a week in Provence but that fell through so decided on Connemara instead. Best holiday decision we ever made. Cannot recommend Geraldine's cottage enough.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dominic T
Walferdange
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

We stayed in Cill Cottage for a few nights last June and I have never lost the urge to just pack everything up and head back as soon as possible.
Was going out on a limb after seeing the cottage advertised online and my better half was demanding to be impressed if I was to take her away from city living. I was not only relieved when we drove over the hill that leads down to this gorgeous little cottage, I was ecstatic to see the view it had towards the Twelve Bens. A completely unspoilt view that has not changed in hundreds of years. The beautiful interior of the cottage was an added bonus as I expected something rustic. It was modern and very, very cosy with a lovely fire and a view that could change from one minute to the next.
We just had a new baby so we arrived very worn down, especially my wife but after a few days in Cill Cottage the batteries were brimming with energy and we were ready to take on the world again. Incidentally, our new little baby came with us and the cottage was more than comfortable for the three of us.
The island of Insihnee is gorgeous with lovely walks along old grassy roads with the local ponies for company. Roundstone is very close by, and Clifden just a little further on so you are always close to the supply lines despite feeling completely unplugged from the hustle and bustle (classifying Roundstone as part of the hustle and bustle gives you an idea of just how tranquil this place is).
Actually meant to write this months ago but didn't want to share the secret but figured a place this great needs to be shared out.
Can't wait to go back. If you're looking for a break to relax, look no further, this is paradise.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank BillyTheFish77

Been to Connemara Cottages? Share your experiences!