“Fantastic Jamacian food in a comfortable, friendly setting”

Boogalow's at Kensington Grocery
Cuisines: Jamaican
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was really craving some Jamaican food today so I drove up to Kensington NH to try Boogalow's. It is one of three businesses at 98 Amesbury Rd./Rt. 150: Boogalow's, Kensington Grocery, and Country Brook Cafe. Boogalow's is a wonderfully friendly, small, casual restaurant, not a big sit-down restaurant. Just so you know....

I got a lunch plate of Jamaican jerk chicken with medium heat, rice & peas, and plantains. It was absolutely fantastic! Medium heat was perfect for me. I also tried a drink I've often heard about called Ting (a grapefruit beverage). It was very good, but what I really wanted to try was a Red Stripe. Next time. I had a lot of driving to do after lunch. I will try one when I go there some Saturday to catch the DJ and another great meal.

I enjoyed talking with the owner. She is really friendly and she took the time to describe some of the dishes for me which was helpful in making a decision of what to try. I chose a jerk dish because I enjoy spices and heat. I will definitely be going back.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

It's surprising enough that there are two restaurants in Kensington, NH, let alone one that serves up fabulous, authentic Jamaican food. Open for lunch and dinner Thursday through Sunday, Boogalow's at Kensington Grocery is a tiny outpost in country-suburbia that offers up items such as marinated jerk meats, fish tacos, fried plantains and other island specialties. We both had the jerk chicken dinner with rice and peas and fried plantains. It was succulent and flavorful with just the perfect amount of heat. If you want to fuel the fire, extra hot sauce is readily available. Prices are extremely reasonable and our host, David, was friendly and enthusiastic about his cuisine. Attached to the Kensington Grocery, Boogalow's has just a few tables ( seasonal outdoor seating is available) and everything can be prepared for take out. For truly authentic diners, they have Red Stripe!!! By the time we got to the car, we were talking about what we'll try next time.