“A Tropical getaway”
Review of Merecumbe Hotel

Merecumbe Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buritaca
Reviewed 8 March 2014

If you're looking for seclusion, privacy and paradise, look no further. We loved this hotel and where it was situated and the fact that there truly was very little around us. The individual cabins are beautifully built, spacious and very clean. Loved the outdoor bathrooms (warning: there is no hot water as this is an eco-hotel) and waking up to the tropical birds signing.
This is a perfect place if you're looking to be left alone, to enjoy the beach, scenery and your own quiet/private time. If you're looking for butlers on the beach, non-stop service etc, this isn't the place for you..
The mountain backdrop scenery next to the ocean was goregous.
While some people complained, I personally really enjoyed the food and loved their tropical juices. I'd definitely go back

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I spent 4 days in Merecumbe hotel (Cangrejo room) and it was significantly above extected (and I was expecting a lot). The room is like a tropical 5 stars dream with an hamaca on it. Everything is presonalized so you feel like there´s a lot of people working for you and making your needs come true without being over the top. Amazing food and you can even have your own campfire on demand!

Room Tip: You can see every room in the pictures on their webpage ... and trust me, it is better than it looks...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Do not miss out on Merecumbe during your Colombian vacation! We were in Colombia for a week - Bogota, Cartegena, Tayrona (Merecumbe), and Santa Marta. Merecumbe was by far our favorite hotel/location. From our arrival, when we were met by Bruno who walked our bags down to the hotel (its about .5m from the road to the resort), to our departure after three idyllic days, everything at Merecumbe was top notch. Lilliana, the resort concierge, speaks fluent English and went out of her way to help us plan our three day stay. She arranged for us to take a taxi to the park entrance and we did a fabulous (albeit difficult!) hike to a truly magical beach (approx 4 hours each way). Lilliana also helped us negotiate our trip back to Santa Marta, which was above and beyond her realm of duties. The food was brilliant: breakfast was fresh fruit straight from the trees on the resort, fresh empanadas, cereal, eggs. Everything you could want. We had a seemingly endless menu for lunch and dinner - all made to order and very fresh. The resort consists of approx 15 huts, which are beautiful. They recently put in private verandas at each hut, where you can sit outside in the breeze alongside the convenience of your room. They had L'Occitaine bath products (nice touch), rain showers, and a great bed/pillows/sheets. There were about 10 huts on the beach - plenty of hammocks, loungers, shade - and they will come out to take your drink orders throughout the afternoon. After our hike on the first day, we were planning on exploring a nearby waterfall / village, but ended up sticking around Merecumbe for the next two days - it was too nice to leave!!! Seriously, I can't say enough good things. Don't miss out.

Room Tip: There's a good distance between all the huts and the main dining area so I don't think anywh...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessie S
Reviewed 2 January 2014

What a stunning surprise Merecumbe was. This place is absolutely perfect for a romantic getaway. My boyfriend and I stayed for three nights and didn't want to leave - we will definitely be back.

The service was just right - friendly, attentive but not over the top. All of our meals were included in the price and the food was excellent. The drinks were also reasonably priced for such a secluded and beautiful place, with cocktails mixed perfectly.

The rooms are each an individual oasis, with beautifully finished bathrooms opening into lush surrounds. The furniture and setting was very elegant without feeling like you were staying at a resort.

The open space and simplicity of this place made you really feel like you were away from it all. While the beach in this area is not ideal for swimming, it is easy to take a trip to one of the many waterfalls and rivers close by to swim in pristine waters. A highlight was also the bonfire by the beach which was prepared each night - perfect spot to end the evening watching the flames and sipping Ron Zacappas.

This place is for those wishing to really escape and revive in a tranquil setting. The perfect balance of comfort and elegance, while still feeling close with nature.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I arranged to spend a week at the Merecumbe for my husband's 50th birthday and our wedding anniversary in August-what a mistake. The warning signs were evident when I emailed the resort on 2 occasions to see if it was possible to arrange a special meal on my husband's birthday.....I never received a response to my messages. On arrival, we were dropped off at a car port area where there was a pile of rubbish and several 'piles' of presumably compost under plastic covers, not the most attractive entrance to somewhere that is described as 100,000 square metres of paradise, with all that space you would think that the compost piles could be placed elsewhere!!
We were then taken to the 'dining/library/bar area' where we were advised of the meal plan for the week. We were presented with a take away style menu which we were told we had to order our lunch at breakfast and our dinner at lunch and the menu didn't change throughout the week, when I raised my eyebrows to this, Lilli Anna sarcastically told me that I wouldn't manage to get through the whole menu.
The first meal that my husband and daughter ordered was steak, this was inedible. It was impossible to cut through, let alone eat. Both meals were taken away untouched with no offer to reorder-the staff couldn't care less. Breakfast was equally a farce, fried eggs were delivered uncooked and when you requested milk with your coffee it arrived 15 minutes later, by which stage the coffee was cold. In fact the milk/coffee saga occurred every morning despite the fact that we had the same waitress who knew that we wanted milk with our coffee!!! As a chef, I took the liberty to have a chat with the lady owner and mentioned the meat from the previous night, I also suggested that they changed the way they cooked the steaks because the method they were using was not how you cook a steak!
On the second night, we decided to try the steak again and whilst we don't speak Spanish the owners son did, so we thought that with the help of translation (and my cooking advise) we would give the kitchen the benefit of the doubt and reorder the steak again........it was worse than the first night!!! This time it was stone cold and even harder to cut through!!!
On the third night, my husband asked if he could have a plain grilled chicken salad. We were told that this wasn't possible because he had to order a meal from the menu plan and then they would try and change the meat in it!! Does that make sense to anyone???!!!! Anyway, they came with the meal from the meal plan, along with some grilled chicken and some hard boiled eggs on the side?! The chicken was again inedible, it seemed like it had been cooked in the microwave on high for an hour!!
My daughter who never complains and eats anything was cutting up her food and hiding it because she couldn't eat it but felt to embarrassed to send a whole a plate of food back to the kitchen untouched. I have to emphasise that the staff would take away untouched food from our table and then not offer to replace it.
On the third night my husband had a drink with the owner and advised him of our extreme disappointment with the food, it was during this conversation that we found out that they had no chef in the kitchen and they were hoping that one would be arriving within the next few weeks, at least we now had an explanation as to why we ate nothing but hard boiled eggs for 3 days!!
In addition to the food/restaurant, there really is nothing to do. There are some board games, a net which you could play bat and ball over, by memory 8 hammocks and a few sun beds on the beach and there isn't a bar or separate area to have a drink and the dining room has a tiny seating area with some books and a large map on the wall of the region (in fact on our first night the owner and his son were playing bat and ball against this map whilst only metres away people were eating their evening meal).
On the fourth day we decided to leave, which was the day of my husband's 50th birthday, and spent the remaining 4 days in Santa Marta. On leaving we settled our bill and in addition we were charged with the chicken breast, extra couple of boiled eggs, extra bottle of wine, extra packet of cigarettes and we were charged £12 for a cheap glass that I had accidentally broken, quite a lot of mistakes for only 3 nights and only 15 or so guests in the resort. These extras were finally removed from the bill and whilst Lilianna, the only English speaking front of house member of staff didn't apologise for our appalling stay, she admitted that she was embarrassed by what had gone on.
OK and now for the small upside!!! The rooms are lovely, the garden is beautifully kept and you are right on an empty beach, although the sea is rough and not ideal for young children because unless they are very competent swimmers you have to jump through large waves to get to flatter swimming waters, by which stage you are out quite far and the water is very deep.
We felt necessary to write this review because this is an expensive hotel that we literally ran away from, but fortunately arrived at the Don Pepe in Santa Marta and had a wonderful stay, as per our comments on Trip Advisor. Our reviews our honest and try and look for the positives in any place that we stay but at present Merecumbe has a lot of work to do.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sbrag_10
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend in April for one night for his birthday and wow what a special place. The staff were extremely helpful and were in touch with us before our arrival to make sure we knew where to go. The entrance is quite hidden - it's quite far down a small narrow road off the main road but luckily we were in a taxi who took us all the way. Our bags were taken to our rooms on arrival and we were given a drink whilst checking in. The setting is absolutely beautiful - so peaceful and tranquil. The rooms/huts are all set apart from eachother - very spacious with a massive bed and very cool bathroom area. They had arranged for a birthday cake to be in the room which was delicous!

The food we had there was brilliant, whether for lunch or dinner and the eggs at breakfast were the best ever!

I organised for the 'romantic dinner' for my boyfriend's birthday and it was perfect - they had set up the table away from the others under a tree which was all lit up with fairy lights, candles and there were flower petals everywhere. It was so romantic! The staff were very attentive, the food amazing and the champagne very nice.

The private beach was lovely - you can't swim in the sea but there were sun loungers and hammocks to relax on. The only negative I can think of is the lack of swimming pool but I think the owners are considering this.

It was the best place I have ever stayed and will definitely be back again the next time I am in Colombia!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Olivia C
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Excellent place to relax and enjoy the quiet life. Food is incredibly good and the staff is very well prepared to achieve all your needs. Rooms are clean and with a nice design which was made entirely but its owners. A bit expensive, but definitely worth it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Soff123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buritaca
Playa Koralia
Playa Koralia
#2 of 2 in Buritaca
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hotel
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hot...
#1 of 3 in Tayrona National Park
#1 of 1 in Los Naranjos
Mendihuaca Caribbean Resort
Mendihuaca Caribbean Resort
#1 of 1 in Mata de Platano

Been to Merecumbe Hotel? Share your experiences!