“Fantastic!”

Hacienda Tijax
Antigua, Guatemala
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Hacienda Tijax is wonderful. We've stayed at the Tortugal many times in the past, and love it, so I wasn't sure what to expect at Tijax. But it surpassed my expectations. Great location on the Rio, maybe two minutes by lancha to the docks at Sundog or Rio Bravo. Tranquil waterfront bar/restaurant, with killer coffee starting at 6:00 a.m. Really good food if you don't feel like hitting town.

And they have Lucy! Lucy is a trip guide. She took us up to the tower and through the jungle one evening, and organized another trip to a waterfall the following day. she's friendly, funny, and super helpful. Look for her when you are there.

Almost forgot--the swimming pool is beautiful and a nice way to cool off in the evening. The fountains/waterfalls on the sides are a nice touch.

The only problem with Tijax is that it is so far away from where we live...I'm ready to go back now.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Venlo, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We have a small bungalow, not big, but clean, an aico, no neighbours, so very quiet. We liked it very much. And a wonderfull walking trp with Lucy, their guide, to a vieuwpoint where you have an nice vieuw and a nice sunset vieuw. After the tour, we had a great pasta with garlic and a lot of srimps in it. Wonderfull. A place to go. Very friendly staff.
And a nice swimmingpool, clean and a relaxing place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Holmen
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I make this place my stop on my route to farther place away. I am always pleased with the accommodating nature of the staff. The food is good, and at a reasonable price. The waiter we had last night was one I had seen seven years before. He was very good, and made our stay special. The facility is a great place for couples and quite romantic.

Room Tip: They have three different types of bungalows that offer a different vibe. Some are on land in the t...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 January 2013

We absolutely loved our stay here! It is a great place to hang out over the water and have a cocktail at night. Just beautiful! There are many of adventurous activities you can do in the daytime as well. It is a very special place.

We loved all the yachts around us, Rio Dulce has a great vibe. Hacienda Tijax is exceptionally well situated on the water, close to everything yet far away from the noise.

We have been traveling for 9 months and we had the most restful sleep here than anywhere else. No dogs barking or roosters! Very unusual in rural Latin America!

Three helpful hints: bring bug spray, a flashlight and be careful walking on the boardwalk after it rains!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the rooms with a private bath. It rains almost every night and if you are prone to n...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Detroit, MI
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We didn't stay at the lodge but boated over to do the jungle tour with guide Lucy. It was a highlight of our eleven days in Guatemala - two hours worth or unbelievably, beautiful scenery. We especially enjoyed the suspension bridges and view from the tower but also loved being encapsulated by the thick, lush vegetation of the jungle. Lucy's expertise regarding the trees and plants, as well as her encouragement to the over 60 contingent in our little group, was much appreciated! Along with the boat trip down the river to Livingston, this is a must-do activity when in the Rio Dulce area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Belize City, Belize
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I booked for 3 nights & stay'd nearly two weeks !
After months of travelling at quite a pace I found Hacienda Tijax is the place for a holiday .
Beautiful surroundings , very friendly & helpful staff good food & bar, laid back , great pool , situated on the river with the biggest, best, back garden of jungle , farm land & rubber plantation .
To get there I took a bus from Antigua , as I stepped off a tourism rep walked me to the dock & rang Tijax who sent their motor boat to collect me .
After meeting Ninneth the friendly & helpful receptionist & booking in , Lucy the activities officer & tour leader introduced herself , she described all the tours on offer , Hikes , Horse back riding , Kayaking & more , Lucy will also help you get the boat to Livingston or Lago De Izabal , I took a bus to the lake & was meet by Benjamin Castillo , from Aventuras Ecologicas Castillo , my primary aim was Bird Watching but had the good fortune to see four Manatees . It didn't seem to matter that I couldn't speak Spanish , Benjamin was one of those gems that could overcome the language barrier & with signs, sounds & gestures tell me everything .
Morning one , just before sun up I set off on a Kayak tour to Monkey Point , paddling across the river at dawn was just divine listening to the howling monkeys in the distance , we moved into narrow waterways that opened up into little areas over hung by branches & vines , the water
carpeted with duck weed .
Overhead families of Howler Monkeys searched up & down for the tasty new leaves , leaping from tree to tree but the most exciting was a close up view of a Northern Tamandua ( a large brown & gold Anteater )
In the afternoon Lucy gave me a mud map of the Jungle Walk , one of the beauties of this place is that being private property you have lots of safe area to wander around alone if you want .
On the path to the jungle there is a beautiful little Museum devoted to the local flora & fauna .
Photographs & Botanical drawings with explanations of medicinal use of some plants .
The cabins are delightful , private with wooden walkways over the water where you might see a turtle .
I spent days walking through farm land into the jungle , amazing suspended bridges & well maintained gravel pathways . I photographed birds , Laughing Falcon , Summer Tanager , Mealy Parrot
to name a few .
I left for a few weeks Birding in Honduras , Tijax kindly looked after the bulk of my luggage until I returned for another balmy fee days .

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Siri O
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The hotel is situated on water. Each room is just a small house sitting on water. Houses, the reception and the dining areas are connected by the wooden boardwalks and hanging bridges, and when it rains, they get wet and become slippery. The houses are quite small and there are ants all over the place inside. The showers are quite difficult to manage as you can't set the temperature right away - either it will be very hot or very cold. The food at the hotel is quite mediocre, and the service is very slow. Avoid meat dishes since the meat is not of a good quality and you will spend time chewing it, but the fish snook is very good. The salsa sauce served at the table is good, but make sure you get the green and not the brown one. Pretty much you will feel like Shrek in the swamp staying at this hotel. Since the hotel is on water, it has lots of blood sucking insects so be prepared, and also bring a flashlight with you because there are no lights above the bridges/boardwalks and you don't want to fall off of them at night.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends