English Country Garden B&B
Hotel North(North Sydney)
US$144
US$141
US$97
All reviewscape bretoncabot trailsmall lakebed and breakfastsitting roomgrounds are beautifulprivate cottagekayak tripnational parklocation was perfectnight stayminute drivemoosehostsferrylawnhomemade
Reviewed 26 August 2013

....yet in some ways better! Ian an Penny were incredible hosts who shared their home and cottage with integrity and grace. We were so happy to spend our 10th Anniversay in the private cottage setting. We could have chosen anywhere in the world and were thrilled with our choice of the English Country Bed and Breakfast. The breakfasts, right down to the tea, were true to the English title: varied and rich and delicious! Ian was so helpful in guiding us to just the right hike on the right day; full of knowledge of the area and people's needs! We couldn't have asked for a better holiday! Thanks so much Ian and Penny!!

1  Thank James A A
Westiespencer, Owner at English Country Garden B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

When Penny and I recieve reviews such as this we realise that the endevours of not just ourselves but also our staff, Diane and Avery are appreciated .Not only that but in some small way we help to create lasting memories .In this case for a 10th anniversary ,when our guests could have stayed anywhere else in the world .

We too think the B & B Rose Cottage is something special ,a respite from the hustle and bustle of daily life.

" Integrity and grace " are the ultimate acolades ,we trust we shall be able to uphold these high expectations ,along with the tea !

Co-Owner ,

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I stayed one night at this B&B a few days ago and it was a really nice experience. The owner Ian greeted us and showed us to our upstairs suite complete with sitting room and ensuite. Everything was immaculate and decorated so nicely. The grounds are beautiful as well. Breakfast was the nicest part. We had a yummy meal on the terrace with English teacups and saucers. They accommodated our dietary needs with no issue and were just all around gracious. Next time I think we'd stay in the Africa room. It looked beautiful. Highly recommend this BnB.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Markandsari
Westiespencer, Owner at English Country Garden B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

It is always a good day when guests have enjoyed their stay and experiences with us .The Englishness is I suppose our speciality . The Iris Suite has the benefit of its own sitting room and dual aspect over the lake on one side and the woods on the other . The whole of the B & B is modelled on my experience growing up in England ,hence the china teacups and table settings.

We really do appreciate the time customers take to write about their stay with us ,thank you ,

Co-Owner ,
The English Country Garden B & B Inn

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stayed 3 nights recently and truly enjoyed our stay. Penny and Ian made my birthday at the Inn extremely special by cooking a private dinner for my husband and I. Penny out did herself by baking me her triple chocolate birthday cake! Beautiful room overlooking lake and unbelievable gardens. Watching the hummingbirds every morning while eating a fabulous gourmet breakfast was a delight.

Room Tip: rooms facing lake have a great view.
1  Thank joan w
Westiespencer, Owner at English Country Garden B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Joan ,

It was extra special to prepare a birthday dinner for you as you share the same birthday as my Mother .We are all so glad you had a memorable time and enjoyed the food ,especially the triple chocolate cake for dessert !

The hummingbirds are still around and as voracious as ever for food .They keep us all entertained .Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderfully ,positive review. It means so much to Penny,Diane ,Avery and myself ,it really does take teamwork .Enjoy the rest of the summer ,

Co-owner ,

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Staying at the English Country Garden B&B made our visit to Nova Scotia most enjoyable. The inn itself has beautiful gardens and is a lovely decorated house with antiques and artifacts from Penny and Ian's travels in Russia and Africa. We stayed in the light, airy, beautifully decorated and very comfortable 'Iris' suite upstairs and had a spacious bedroom, sitting room overlooking a lake, and of course private bath. The full breakfasts were absolutely delicious with fresh oj, coffee, Penny's homemade delicious granola on yogurt or cereal, and homemade blueberry cake or banana bread. And if that's not enough a hot entrée like stuffed French toast one day, bacon and eggs another. To accommodate my 'no meat' Ian served up sauteed mushrooms with my eggs and a grilled tomato....very delicious! (as you can probably guess, I like good food!)The innkeepers, Penny and Ian were very helpful with suggestions concerning fine dining, artisan galleries, and hikes in the national park. We cannot say enough good about this place. We've stayed in many B&B's over the years and my husband and I agree this one was one of the lovliest.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Westiespencer, Owner at English Country Garden B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Iris ,

We are so thrilled that we were the highlight of your stay in Nova Scotia .It was so apt that you chose to stay in The Iris Suite,with its dual aspect over the woods and lake .We are really pleased with gardens this year and the roses especially .As someone remarked the weather has been like Englands ,hence the roses did well !

It takes a collaborative team effort with Penny ,myself ,Diane and Avery to produce all the food we serve at breakfast and at other times .The production of the food is all the more pleasant when it is appreciated by those who enjoy good food .

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review and we wish you safe travels in the future ,

All the best ,

Co-owner ,

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed at this B&B for just one night recently. Totally based off the reviews on Trip Advisor.

First off, Ian was an amazing host. He greeted us at the car, gave us suggestions on what to do around Indian Brook and where to eat. Provided us with ice to chill some wine. Made a great breakfast and provided exceptional service. Absolutly perfect in every way.

In regards to the room and facility its self, it was fine. I'm sorry, but its not a luxury B&B by any means. But it's totally fine. Our bed was a little to soft and I found it to slope in the middle. My wife was ok with it. The place it fairly loud, you can hear what is going on throughout the place. It is set on a gorgous lake. Unfortunatly this brought on some viscious misquitoes. And my wife didn't notice this, but I did not like the smell of the place.

The location in regards to the Cabot Trail and anything to do is not ideal. Long drive to get to a decent place to eat and about 20 to 30 minutes to the start of the trail. I think staying one night was perfect for us as a stop from PEI to the trail.

Want to be clear, this place was totally fine. Would not hesitate to recommend it if looking for a basic place. Just not a luxury B&B that seems to be portrayed as. Maybe I was wrong or had an off visit. Ian was so nice I hate to make it sound like this wasn't a decent place. It was.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harris N
Westiespencer, Owner at English Country Garden B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear Harris,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response and for the positive comments .It is difficult to know how to respond to your negative ones .Perhaps if you had spoken to me about your concerns they could have been addressed . The previous reviewer describes us as a truly luxurious B & B . We do have some very large suites ,whereas the one you chose was the smallest ,but still with all the same amenities .

We are actually on the Cabot Trail ,it is a circle and there is no start and end .We describe quite fully on our website that we are a rural location and set in 37 acres on a lake .In our confirmation letter we describe where there is to eat .We actually provide dining ,so no need to drive and the nearest one drive time, is only three minutes away . The photographs on our website and Tripadvisor are not photoshopped or misleading in any way .

Whilst we always pride our selves in giving our guests experiences that are above expectations , it is sometimes not possible to please everyone . I hope the fact that we cooked special food to order for the special diet meant something . Luxury is also about service and caring about what we do.

I assure you of our best attention at all times ,

Co-owner .