“Not our cup of tea”

GreenLeadersGold level
Tallahassee, Florida
“Not our cup of tea”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My wife and I traveled to the Cape Breton area as part of our 9 day trip to Nova Scotia. We reserved a room at the Sea Parrot based on proximity to the areas we wanted to see, and the ratings on Trip Advisor. However, when we arrived it wasn't what we thought it would be and suffice to say we were a little disappointed. We've stayed in many B&B's over the years and so we obviously have a certain expectation of what a typical B&B would be like. This one wasn't up to that standard, and wasn't as nice as many of the pictures suggest. The property leaves a bit to be desired in terms of appearance and landscape maintenance, and the room we were given was simply okay. The breakfast is served in the main house but it's a very small area. It's a very, very small kitchen area, and we didn't see any separation between the cooking area and the dining area, and there didn't appear to be anything resembling a typical sit-down and eat arrangement. The owners have small dogs who appear to have free roam of the house, including the kitchen area, which is a major turn-off for us. While we were in the house at the beginning the dogs were there and frequently barking. Since we weren't staying in the main house we overlooked it. However, we assumed that at least for the breakfast the dogs would be outside, but since they have a room adjacent to the kitchen where it appeared the dogs hung out we were concerned the dogs would be around for breakfast. Again, that's a major turn-off for us. Regardless, we never stayed that long so we can't say how it works out. We toured quite a bit of the Cape Breton area for the majority of the day, but left before evening and found another spot much more to our liking.

Our mistake was reserving a room before physically checking it out. We should have done that and had we done so we'd have passed on this spot and avoided paying for a room we never used. We wouldn't recommend this spot, but most certainly anyone considering it should check it out for themselves. Obviously from the ratings there are people who like it. Just not our cup of tea.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank PaulBrawner
SEAPARROT, Owner at Sea Parrot Ocean View Manor, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
As anyone else reading this review make it known that this gentleman and his wife never even stayed at our resort. They came and looked at their room which I should mention is a lovely oceanfront and our most popular suite. And as far as his comments, he didn't even stay to get a breakfast or anything else. So we are disappointed in him not ourselves.

First of all I am sure you saw the room before booking.
And nothing changed from the pics to actual seeing.
You should have asked me about arrangements for breakfast and had you been honest with me and said you didn't want the room and not just tried to skip out I would have not charged you, I always appreciate it when people ask questions and don't make judgment calls before they have even had a chance to experience our site. I normally check-in all guest's but was off doing the large house. Being you checked in sooo! early, but I still had your room ready which even major hotels would not have. I wish you had spoken to me before writing this nasty review since you did not even stay I can't see could make so many comments. I think we both know why you made this bad review because I charged you for the room anyway. Sorry next time be more up front with an owner it usually goes a long way in your favor.

Sorry you were not happy again I wish you had said something to my face and not written this
review behind my back.

But we will continue to always give 100% and keep trying t please our guest's always.

Thanks
Lonnie

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had a very short 3 night stay. Lonnie was very helpful in our tourist plans which included Captain Mark's Whale Watching (even received a discount). This was by far the highlight of our trip. Sea Parrot's view of the ocean is breathtaking and actually brought a tear to my eye. The grounds are well kept and our hosts were super friendly and accommodating. I especially liked soaking in 1 of the 2 hot tubs available, star gazing in the evenings but the 6 things that made me smile the most were the Yorkies....OMG absolutely adorable!! Especially my buddy Spike. I miss everything this B&B has to offer and would recommend it to couples and families alike. You won't be disappointed :-)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Totowa, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This happens to be my best vacation ever. If you are looking for a place free from the everyday hectic schedule and freedom from the horn beeping, crowded highways and arrogant people, then this is the place to be. I honestly can not say one bad word about this place. Every room is clean and has an amazing view of the ocean. Hearing the sounds of the waves hitting the shore is just awesome. Looking up into the sky at night and seeing the amazing stars in the universe without the city light is breathtaking. Or waking up in the morning an looking at the ocean and seeing 5 beautiful seals relaxing and surfing the waves.

Take a ride around the Island to see the wonderful coast line. No traffic lights just a scenic view that will be part of your memories forever. Its like time has forgotten about this place. The drive around the entire Island will take about 5 hours and that's only driving. There is plenty to do if you want to explore, like whale watching, fishing, hiking, jet skiing, kayaking and more. If your looking for a place to party, I would not recommend this place for you. But if you are looking for some great FAMILY vacation to bond and enjoy what life is all about, then you need tho come to this place. Lonnie and Roy has done a great job and had made our vacation/honeymoon more enjoyable by taking the worries out of the mix. Rest and relaxation could not have been any better.

Room Tip: You cant get a bad room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at the Sea Parrot last summer on our family cruise across eastern and central Canada. We couldn't have picked a better place to stay on Cape Breton. Our Apartment was spacious and exceptionally clean. The hot tub on the edge of the cliff next to the ocean is an amazing place to sit and relax and take in the beauty of the island. The owners make you feel as part of there family. They were extremely helpful giving us advice on places to visit on the island. If the Sea Parrot were closer to my home in NJ I'd make it a regular summer get away.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Awesome! Fantastic! Breathtaking! Wicked! Delicious! Not just a bunch of words to describe something amazing.
Awesome hosts – Lonnie and Roy- waited for our very late arrival. They were outside, the second our car lights hit their driveway.
Lonnie gave us a tour of our apartment and also asked about our breakfast choices, to make sure we are having a great start in the morning.
Fantastic location – every room or cottage has an ocean view! Far enough from the main road therefore very peaceful and quiet property. Also located on Cabot Trail.
Breathtaking view from every angle.
Wicked rooms – playfully quaint and matching decorations with minute attention to detail. Even the umbrellas, key chains or kitchen utensils are matched to the room décor!
Delicious pancakes made by Lonnie every morning!
It’s hard to believe we made it so far, but it was worth every mile we drove from Toronto!
Thank You!
Cristina, Gabriel and Baby Rouge

1 Thank Cristina C
SEAPARROT, Owner at Sea Parrot Ocean View Manor, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Hey Gabe & Christina,
Hope you have a good trip home miss you already.
Give the baby a hug for me.

Hope to see you both again and of course your sweet baby girl.

It was a real pleasure all the best
Roy, Lonnie and all the kids say hi.

Thanks again!
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We found the resort to be very attractive with a wonderful ocean view. The Hosts Lonnie and Jack were friendly and excellent and easy to find. We loved the location to the trail and the ferry. The hosts are always willing to offer suggestions and book trips.

Room Tip: The Cottages are eccellent
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
We are sooo! glad you loved staying with us.
Hope to see you again.
Have a great fall.
Thanks Lonnie & Roy
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This was a trip for just my mom and I throughout Nova Scotia. I found the Sea Parrot to stay on Cape Breton and I am so glad I did! The place is just heaven. The view is AMAZING! Our room was the garden room - and don't be fooled it has more than a garden view. I could see the ocean from the bed! We loved the rocky beach, walking for hours finding sea shells and rocks. The owners had the large lawn decorated beautifully and comfortably with hammocks and places to sit in various locations. This place would be great if I ever bring my kids to Cape Breton.

The breakfast was fantastic. I have been to B&Bs before, but I have to say the breakfast here was #1. It gave us plenty of energy to hike all day.

Lonnie was great! Showing us everything and making suggestions. We really felt at home.

Thanks so much for a great vacation and some bonding time for a mom and daughter!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Brook
English Country Garden B&B
English Country Garden B&B
#2 of 2 in Indian Brook
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa

Been to Sea Parrot Ocean View Manor? Share your experiences!