“Amazing chips”

The Old Crown
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Kelston
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Escape the city in our beautifully refurbished pub & restaurant 15 minutes from Bath & Bristol. British cuisine, with our own little twist. Our kitchen is open Tuesday to Friday 12 - 3pm / 6 - 9pm, Saturday 12 - 9pm, Sunday 12 - 7pm. Huge Beer garden with space for 150 and covered heated dining for 40. Pizza oven, BBQ grills & fully functioning outside bar.
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Visited here for my Dad's birthday meal in November.
I had attempted to visit this place back in the summer but had been put off by the "local" feel of the place. I was totally unaware of the restaurant space past the bar, and didn't give The Crown a chance, I'm glad, however that I gave it a second chance.
I had the fish and chips for my main, which was very tasty, the chips really are up there with some of the best I've ever tasted. Fish is almost as good.
The rest of the party had pheasant (was told this was good, although too many bones), pork chop (ok).

The desserts, although beautifully presented, weren't as good as they looked. I had chocolate brownie which was a bit dry, the rest of the group had the Chocolate Fruit roulade which I sampled and I can report was a bit dry too. Staff friendly enough. Seats are a bit uncomfortable, I assumed that was just the case for me as I am 8.5 months pregnant but everyone else said the seats were pretty uncomfortable. I'd definitely return to this place.

There are newer reviews for The Old Crown

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We were staying at the Tracy Park having been racing at Bath and wanted somewhere to eat and this pub was recommended by the hotel staff.

It is lovely, large, but somehow it retains quaintness. Flagged floors, low ceilings, even I had to duck at 5ft 3ins (I did have heels on!). Nice menu, and the portions are enormous! I didn't have a starter, but my partner had the cheese on toast - enough to feed an army! Be hungry - the main courses were also enormous and beautifully cooked and served. I had the fish pie and it was delicious. Good wine list and reasonably priced.

Lots of locals in there and they made us very welcome indeed.

We also popped in for a drink the following night and it was nice to just sit in the bar area and have a drink.

Good food, nice atmosphere - will definitely visit again.

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

An amazing local village pub. The staff are great, the food is great and the range of local ales and ciders is great. There are roaring log fires throughout and it has the feel of an old wayfare inn from back in the day. Might have to make this my new local, if only I didn't live an hour away. Defo recommend a visit

Reviewed 29 October 2013

This pub truly is one of a dying breed of nice, friendly traditional local pubs. To enjoy there is an extensive range of food and drink all served in very pleasant surroundings and with friendly service. When we visited the log fire was burning and it was a very pleasant atmosphere to sit back and relax.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Thank you Buttcombe Brewery for not changing a old Farmhouse style pub been there for hundreds of years (different staff ) flagstone floors low ceilings all this 5 miles from the center of Bath. They have a great selection of real ales plus larges.The Menu is large but all home cooked so great choice and dog friendly always a plus

1  Thank Peter Franklin S