“Glad we stayed here”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Glad we stayed here”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We made last-minute plans to attend a Shakespeare play in Stratford, and by that time everything in town was booked. Stumbled across this hotel and thought we'd give it a try, and we do not regret our choice. Here's the thing: It's basic. If you are looking to sleep in the lap of luxury, this is probably not the place for you. However, it has character, is clean and well-maintained, the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, it is right in the middle of a small but vibrant downtown, and it is an excellent value at less than half the cost of a similar place in Stratford. Plus the location can't be beat; we like to walk and this was a great place to do that, well within walking distance of several restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and museums. On Saturday morning we walked to the Woodstock Farmer's Market, which we greatly enjoyed. If you don't like staying in hotels by the highway, surrounded by parking lots and open fields, but would rather be right in the middle of the action, stay here. If you are visiting Stratford, it is only about a 40 minute drive away, a very pleasant drive through the bucolic Ontario countryside. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom_J_from_Michigan
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for reviewing out hotel. Love it when guest have a great stay and get a chance to experience what Downtown Woodstock has to offer. Please stay with us again when you are in the area. And enjoy the remaining summer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here for a wedding in June, then again in July for a soccer tournament. This hotel is a great value as the suites are a good size and come with a full kitchen. Restaurants, banks and coffee close by. Close to the 401 and hwy 59.The staff is always friendly and helpful, I've already sent an email to the manager praising the great service!

P and K
Port Elgin

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you again for your kind words,I do appreciate the review and hope future travelers will try our our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again when your in town. Enjoy the remaining summer time.
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I chose this hotel because it was one of the best price/value/pet-friendly options through choice privileges near a dog show I was going to. I didn't know the area before getting there and once I got there I was very happy with my choice. It is a very nice little town and the hotel is close to restaurants and stores. At first the hotel not having its own parking lot bothered me, but it was easy to get street parking just in front of it, and they also give you access to a parking lot down the street. They also seemed to have cameras around so they could monitor the outside as well. I wasn't worried about my vehicle at all in that area. The staff was very friendly, and took kindly to me having a dog. I had a choice between having a ground level room or a room on the top floor; I was told that the ground floor could get a little noisier because of the lobby area being nearby so I opted for the top floor. There are no elevators in this hotel, which makes bringing up bags and dog cage a bit more difficult. I had a room that was a good size and had a kitchenette area. The room was clean, except for the inside of the fridge which could've used a good wipe down but I didn't use it so I wasn't too bothered by it. It is an old building which was converted into a hotel (hence the no elevator) and the inside is actually quite pretty if you appreciate the style of old buildings. I didn't have any issues with noise in the hotel, but my room was on the side of a little alley and on the Friday night there were young men sitting outside drinking and making noise until 3am; nothing the hotel can really do about it so I didn't complain but if they do it often I would maybe ask for a room facing the other side.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maheekens
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
I'd like to thank you for writing a review of our Hotel. I am pleased you were happy with your stay. I will speak with my housekeeping team, to make sure the fridges are cleaned well. Please note that the front desk staff is able to assit you with luggage if needed. Thank you again
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Wonderful DOWNTOWN Woodstock hotel - absolutely great central location. Next to a great pub -Charles Dickens (see review). Wonderful hotel hostess/manager with area info and made sure we were not overcharged for anything. Why stay near the highway with nothing around you when you have such a better option??

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alex R
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Wonderful thank you for reviewing our hotel I very much appreciate it. So happy you enjoyed staying with us, as well as enjoying what downtown has to offer. We hope you'll be back again soon.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have been staying at the Econo Lodge when I visit family in Woodstock since 2012. It's clean, affordable and quiet. I love the fact they have a coffee machine, fridge, and microwave in every room. I am not a big fan of eating out and prefer to stay in my room. Shoppers Drug Mart, a Convenience Store and a Dollar Store are all just a few blocks away on Dundas Street to get supplies. There is a farmer's market downtown every week for fresh produce and lots of grocery stores within driving distance who also have fresh produce.

Michelle Kirwin, the manager, is amazing. I have some medical conditions and she was more than helpful when I needed stuff. In fact, the next trip, she would remember what I requested the last time and set me up again. She is also very accommodating when my flights come in at weird times. A recent family crisis was well handled by Michelle and staff to accommodate everyone involved. I feel blessed we were all at the Econo Lodge and not somewhere else when this happened. Now THAT is customer service!!

Room Tip: For disabled, staying on the main floor is the best bet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you very much for the review. Thank you for choosing to stay with us when there are plently of other hotels in the area to choose from. I do hope you'll be back again. Wishing you and your family all the best this summer.
Wellington, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed overnight recently. The room (main floor), was clean, modern, comfortable although not overly large. We had a great rate, made even better because I can qualify as a senior now. The staff was friendly. The included breakfast was pretty basic but convenient. The location is right downtown so that is a bonus. Parking is likely the big negative. Choices are a municipal lot (the hotel provides a permit) or on street.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, I appreciate the time you took to do this. I understand the parking concern for our guest and assure you that we have no issues in the area. Our city lot is well lit and in a desirable area, and our street parking have video surveillance and 24hr front desk staff on it. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you stay with us again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2014

A good EconoLodge located right downtown Woodstock, just off the main street with cafes and restaurants, museum, gallery, bookstore, etc.
Not a typical new-built Econolodge usually found in the middle of nowhere outside of towns, this is a older hotel that was renovated in 2011 and maintains a bit of its 'rural town' character and warm hospitality.
Wifi throughout hotel, computer with printer in the lobby, reasonably nice breakfast in a sunny room off the lobby, free parking.
We stayed a night last year when visiting the Stratford Festival and were happy enough to come back this year again. It is an easy 30-minute drive through beautiful rural Ontario to/from Stratford and an opportunity to enjoy both a theatre performance or two, and a day out in a small town. We plan to be back next summer, too.
By the way, the inter-city bus has a stop in front of the hotel entrance on Graham Street, for those who do not want to drive.

Room Tip: We stayed in different rooms each time, on top floor. Room 402 is a bit bigger, with kitchenette, an...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review I am pleased you once again enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for pointing out how nice of a drive it is to Stratford. I am sure many people who enjoy plays will now consider staying here and taking the short drive. We look forward to having you back again next summer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Best Western Plus Woodstock Inn & Suites
Elm Hurst Inn & Spa
Elm Hurst Inn & Spa
#1 of 3 in Ingersoll
Knights Inn London Airport

Been to Econo Lodge Woodstock? Share your experiences!