“First Past The Post”
Review of Manor House Inn

Manor House Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Ditcheat B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed at The Manor House Inn for one night in Room 3 ('See More Business') of The Mews. We had previously enjoyed weekend lunches here and chose the Inn as the venue for a relaxing night away. It has strong connections with the nearby Paul Nicholls Yard (7 times champion trainer) and the bar/dining room walls are adorned with photos of the many champions from the yard. The fixtures and fittings in Room 3 were functional but it was warm, cosy and spacious. We slept well and were refreshed in the morning. A minor quibble would be that the iPads didn't pick up the Inn Wi-Fi in the room but this could be easily found in the bar. We ate dinner in the Denman Bar (named after the great Gold Cup winner) and enjoyed a good meal in a convivial atmosphere. The chocolate puddle pudding is particularly recommended. The breakfast had plenty of options and the traditional English cooked breakfast included a very good sausage from the local Home Farm. This was a friendly village hangout with babies and dogs adding to the atmosphere. If you're a horse racing aficionado then this is a must visit where the memorabilia will invoke memories of great races and champions of the past. If you're just looking for a warm, friendly place to stay offering good food & drink then this is the winning option. The Manor House Inn will 'see more business' from us - thank you for a great time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a few nights on business and my experience was near to perfect as you can get. The venue is an old building and has the classic interior to match. The staff on duty were attentive, welcoming and friendly and made me feel at home. The food was superb with plenty of choice and reasonably priced. Locals were friendly and chatty and I even got the opportunity to meet local celebrity Paul Nichols! There is a skittle alley on site which was fun to watch and the log burner was the icing on the cake. Can't wait to visit again!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Had there been a 'better than excellent' mark, I'd have given it for my visit (and especially for the room and my brekkie). Basically I was there to do some work (on the computer - free wifi) and decided I'd stay there the night before, have a few pints, a bite of dinner and get down to work the following day. I arrived in the evening, checked in and headed to the bar. A wood fire was burning and skittles were being set up for a match that the pub's team had that evening against a pub from just down/up the road (nb: I always thought pub skittles was just for tourists but it was taken seriously). Anyway my evening was superb. I chatted all evening to wonderful friendly locals (nb: none of your Straw Dogs types). Had an absolutely terrific dinner (spoke to the chef who takes his grub VERY seriously) had some wonderful beers, went to bed late and slept like a top. Breakfast the next day was as good as I can remember anywhere. You could honestly taste the quality of the produce. After this feast, I had a quick walk around the village, which on a misty morning, was picture-postcard stuff, especially with horses from the local stables being put through their paces close by. I started work at about 10.00am and was (more or less) done by 1.30pm. I should have gone then but I noticed there was a lamb-shank on the menu. The rest as they say is history. Quite simply a magical place. If you want to treat yourself for no real reason, I can recommend few places higher.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Eugene R
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This place has gone to pot. It used to be in the top five pubs within a 3 mile radius of Castle Cary but that was when it was well-run, even under management, serving great food, ale and sparkling clean. Last week we went for the first time in ages as the main road has been closed for 6 months, involving a lengthy diversion, but recently re-opened. It was 1.30pm on a Saturday, 6 customers in the bar, two in the dining room. Fire hardly burning, not a flower in site, tacky-looking furnishings, smell of dirty mop-heads. It was cold in there but, after a long wait for someone to appear behind the bar, we ordered a half pint lemonade shandy and a black coffee for which £5.30 was demanded. I queried the price and it came down to 4.65 which still seemed a helluva price if the coffee was £2.20 it made the shandy £3.10! The menu was uninteresting and the chalk board of sandwiches no longer existed - they were always very good and served with chips. Instead there was the monotonous ciabatta with fillings which didn't tempt us. The pub seems to revolve around Sky Sports now and has lost it's finesse with no-one in charge or appearing at all interested unlike some time ago when staff were attentive and efficient. We decided not to bother eating and probably won't visit again unless Paul Nichols wins the National again! Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Drive on don't bother stopping
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank pubman25
Mark_Hanrahan, Owner at Manor House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2016

Dear PubBuff25
thank you for review. I didn't respond at the time as we had just bought the pub and we were going through a lot of change at The Manor. We had inherited a team of people and practices that we knew needed changing. We have now refurbished The Manor throughout, adding new meeting rooms and new guest bedrooms. We also have a new chef and a new, motivated, management team that have completely addressed some of the issues that plagued The Manor before we bought it. We very much look forward to Paul Nicholls winning the Grand National once again, perhaps we'll get to see you!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stopped off for lunch on the way back from bath & west show ground. Lovely pub, really nice staff, good beers, great food delivered in great time. Really enjoyed the lunch. Coffee machine looked a good one as well

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Being the only pub offering food past 3PM on Sunday, it was our only choice in area.
I must say we were really pleased with the Manor House. It is so charming inside and out!
Food was delicious and desert was simply outstanding!
I was really pleased with staff, they were really attentive with smile.
If you happen to pass through Ditcheat, I can highly recommend their food..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Milan011
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Looking for somewhere to stay whilst visiting Bruton, I found all local B&Bs around Bruton were booked up long ago due to a couple of weddings, and chanced upon the Manor House Inn. Not sure how many rooms they have - not many I think, but we had a very nice little room off the car park with it's own entrance, little hall and massive bathroom. Bit of an odd combo at first, but great for leaving the suitcase in the hall area and the bedroom was pleasantly decorated with rustic a.k.a. distressed furniture. Had to ask at the bar for milk for the tea, but that was easily supplied in a flask. Didn't eat dinner but had breakfast which was freshly cooked and huge. No complaints and would come again when next in this part of the world.

One word of warning - it was Saturday night and youngsters leaving the pub, laughing, girls screaming, driving away with music blaring, meant we heard every word. That makes me sound very old (and I'm not!) Surprised the locals don't complain.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ditcheat
Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
#5 of 36 in Shepton Mallet
The Shrubbery Hotel
The Shrubbery Hotel
#8 of 36 in Shepton Mallet

Been to Manor House Inn? Share your experiences!