“A pleasant stay”

Cannards Well
Launceston, United Kingdom
“A pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed at Cannards Well Hotel for a short break.

A good all round experience:
Well sized rooms with adequate facilities
Excellent food, particularly the Thursday night carvery
Friendly atmosphere
Value for money

We will certainly bokk here again when next in the area.

Jim
Cornwall

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We used the Cannards Well Carvery to meet for dinner with my Family. The food was very good and we had a very pleasent get to-gether. The only downside was that there was not a baby changing area and the door was left open whick created a draught. The landlord had the door closed for us so all was well. This is a very busy Carvery and would recomend booking.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
St Helens, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Having spent a night here last fri 28/feb I noticed the trip advisor sticker in reception,,and I thought , it must be half decent here.....having met up to work a show at the bath n west showground with friend, we spent a few hours at the bar then I went to bed having had a 5 hr drive , the night manager, saw me to my room ,,no,5 from here on refered to as the fridge...
having left the corridor and entered the room, the drop in temp was dramatic! er sorry the fridge,,i instantly asked the manager the whereabouts of the heating,,,to my horror he opened the door to the bathroom and pointed out a tiny towel rail app 600mmm x 300mm ! I laughed when he said by leaving the bathroom door open it would indeed heat my room..sorry again my er fridge! after seeing the absence of humour from the mans face I knew at this point he was serious! I told him that I actually have fitted such rails n indeed radiators I explained that the expected output of the rail wouldn't even heat the bathroom! so if he expected this tiny rail (see photo) to indeed heat both rooms he was mistaken,,so I asked for a room heater as it was fore cast minus 3 n was well on its way by now to zero..he said that they didn't have one,,so I asked for a move , he said they were full , n that wasn't possible,,n with that he left,,,so iturned on a large red switch on the bathroom wall thinking it may be linked to the rail , but on inspection it wasn't, and after 20 min it was still ice cold,,after my 5 hours drive and an early start I went to bed,,lights off in both room n bathroom , also I at this point decided to switch of the tablet on the wall they call a tv! in the middle of the night iwas awoken by the extreme cold ,I turned on the light n began a search , for extra bedding,and a pillow, there wer neither the thin summer duvet was wholly inadequate for winter, and I had to prop up the pillow with a coat, I then put 2 tee shirts on and a thick pr of socks!
After a some what restless night, I had thought of the film the excorcist as I was seeing my breath and by now it was quite a misty room? , my alarm went off at 6 am.. so I ran the shower,,put the kettle on,,and the noticed the absence of er a bath towel? then with the kettle boilled, I put in the tea bag.,i then noticed NO MILK?? so no brew then,,?,and made do with a quick wash the th sm hand towel! and decended the stairs to breakfast,,,to my surprise it was excellent and I told the girl who attended me of my dreadfull night,,she took my name and would indeed raise the complaint with tim,,the manager? whom would call me the very next day,,/? I am still awaiting the call I gave my business card with all my details on but nada , nowt no call, so I complimented the cheff and left to scrape my frozen van into life..and the moral of this tale,,,room 5 is ok in a heatwave...but other than that , take a heater, s leeping bag, oh and a bath towel. n milk, n a pillow,,or just camp? needless to sayi had a torrid days work ahead of a 5 hour drive which incidently I had to pull over on the m5 and fell asleep , thankfully not on the m,way,,

2 Thank joe c

Travellers are raving about these Cannards Grave hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

My friend and I stayed here on 17 February, at very short notice on a business trip. We thought we were booked into a Travelodge near Frome, but when we got there we found that we had pressed the button for the wrong month, so our booking was invalid. Of course they were full and bookings have to be done in advance and online anyway. So we Googled nearby hotels on Trip Advisor and found this one, we phoned Jim (the manager) at 8 pm and he was extremely helpful, he offered us a large room with twin beds, ensuite bathroom and large Sky TV at a very reasonable price. We had hot baths, and a very comfortable nights sleep. The breakfast was a full English and delicious, well cooked and presented. We will certainly stay here again when we are on our next trip to this part of the UK. Thank you Jim.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have stayed in the hotel for over a month while working close by stopping Sunday to Friday and it has been great.

The rooms are always clean warm and have everything I needed.

The staff make the hotel. They were always very friendly and helpful

The food in the hotel was fantastic and great value. No need to go anywhere else.

As other people have said the suites are great and very big.

Thanks

Room Tip: best room is suite F
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We booked for last Saturday night.

Having booked Suite C, I was then told we were in Suite F.

Not a problem in slightest. The room was big, really big. I have stayed in Suites before, so I know what one looks like & only once have I stayed in one larger. The bathroom was equally as large.

The heating had been switched on in advance and the room was lovely & warm, so much so that we had to turn it down.

With room for two sofa's, another single bed, wardrobes & a large coffee table, I was certainly not dissapointed, especially when I remembered what I had paid for the room.

A lovely large LED TV with Sky was another bonus.

I could only find 2 possible faults with the room. Both shower heads (the bathroom had a corner bath with shower and a large, seperate shower) need replacing.

The towels were huge, so another tick.

We then went downstairs for a drink & snack. The bar manager couldn't do enough to help and a good selection of drinks were available.

Although we didn't eat a meal as we had eaten earlier, the other meals that came from the kitchen looked lovely.

A good nights sleep was then in order. Unfortunately, where we live is very quiet at night with no road traffic. The pub itself is on the road & our room was facing the road & I did wake up a few times with the noise of the road traffic, but this is NOT the fault of the accommodation, only mine as I am not used to it.

Breakfast was quite simply magic. A buffet english breakfast with everything you could imagine possible, all cooked fresh & tasted great. I would visit again just for the breakfast.

I really enjoyed my stay here & will be back again in the future. It may not be the Dorchester or the Ritz, but it does what it says on the tin at a very fair price, with everything you could hope for.

Room Tip: Suite F is the furthest away room & up quite a few stairs, but is Large & is comfy. I will b...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was here with my fiance over valentines as we were meeting up with friends in Wilton the day after. Arriving at Cannards Well was a bit tricky, sat nav and maps sent us in the complete opposite direction but we got there in the end. When we got there we were put in suite E. Lovely view but basic room, although did have sky TV which is a plus. Didn't have to pay for our room straight away so gave us time to chill before dinner which was nice. The staff are lovely and friendly. We both had steak at dinner and I ordered mine rare. When I order this in restaurants it's never rare, or its rare but cold, not at Cannards Well, it was the best steak I've ever had in this country! We both slept well and breakfast was lovely. Like I said, rooms are a bit basic and mismatched but we weren't bothered, the service and food more than made up for it ... And when your shattered after a long drive and busy day and you just need a pit stop for the night what more do you need?! We will be back in the near future I reckon.

• Stayed February 2014
#34 of 37 in Shepton Mallet
Whitecroft Farm B&B
Whitecroft Farm B&B
#1 of 1 in Pylle

Been to Cannards Well? Share your experiences!