“Excellent for contractors working in the area”
Review of Cannards Well

Cannards Well
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The location & rooms are excellent, there is a good bar/restaurant & you can get a decent cooked breakfast from 6am. It could be an excellent hotel for holidaymakers too if they invested a little more in the rooms.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We booked for two nights over the Easter weekend but one was more than we could cope with, the room (3) was very tired and needed a coat of paint, the window did not fully shut at the top, the bathroom door would not shut. The shower was pathetic.

The service for the breakfast was like something from Faulty Towers. It took 20 minutes for the eggs to be cooked, the beans and bacon were cold and the toast only arrived after breakfast had finished and we are still waiting for the marmalade that we asked for at the time.

When we checked out a day early no refund or apology was offered. Do yourself a favour stay anywhere but here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank redking720
Reviewed 31 March 2014

9 of us went here to celebrate Mothering Sunday yesterday.

I have eaten here before and have enjoyed the Carvery Buffet very much. Yesterday there were 2 sittings due to the number of diners and we were unfortunately booked in only at 2.30pm.

The carvery was still fully stocked up with about 5 different meats and 9 or 10 vegetables but unfortunately it was all a bit on the cold side.

On the positive the roast beef was absolutely delicious and very tender as were all the other meats chosen by us.

The only downside was the temperature but I amm sure that had we been able to get into the earlier sitting it would all have been piping hot.

For value for money this is an excellent venue and we shall return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed at Cannards Well Hotel for a short break.

A good all round experience:
Well sized rooms with adequate facilities
Excellent food, particularly the Thursday night carvery
Friendly atmosphere
Value for money

We will certainly bokk here again when next in the area.

Jim
Cornwall

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We used the Cannards Well Carvery to meet for dinner with my Family. The food was very good and we had a very pleasent get to-gether. The only downside was that there was not a baby changing area and the door was left open whick created a draught. The landlord had the door closed for us so all was well. This is a very busy Carvery and would recomend booking.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Having spent a night here last fri 28/feb I noticed the trip advisor sticker in reception,,and I thought , it must be half decent here.....having met up to work a show at the bath n west showground with friend, we spent a few hours at the bar then I went to bed having had a 5 hr drive , the night manager, saw me to my room ,,no,5 from here on refered to as the fridge...
having left the corridor and entered the room, the drop in temp was dramatic! er sorry the fridge,,i instantly asked the manager the whereabouts of the heating,,,to my horror he opened the door to the bathroom and pointed out a tiny towel rail app 600mmm x 300mm ! I laughed when he said by leaving the bathroom door open it would indeed heat my room..sorry again my er fridge! after seeing the absence of humour from the mans face I knew at this point he was serious! I told him that I actually have fitted such rails n indeed radiators I explained that the expected output of the rail wouldn't even heat the bathroom! so if he expected this tiny rail (see photo) to indeed heat both rooms he was mistaken,,so I asked for a room heater as it was fore cast minus 3 n was well on its way by now to zero..he said that they didn't have one,,so I asked for a move , he said they were full , n that wasn't possible,,n with that he left,,,so iturned on a large red switch on the bathroom wall thinking it may be linked to the rail , but on inspection it wasn't, and after 20 min it was still ice cold,,after my 5 hours drive and an early start I went to bed,,lights off in both room n bathroom , also I at this point decided to switch of the tablet on the wall they call a tv! in the middle of the night iwas awoken by the extreme cold ,I turned on the light n began a search , for extra bedding,and a pillow, there wer neither the thin summer duvet was wholly inadequate for winter, and I had to prop up the pillow with a coat, I then put 2 tee shirts on and a thick pr of socks!
After a some what restless night, I had thought of the film the excorcist as I was seeing my breath and by now it was quite a misty room? , my alarm went off at 6 am.. so I ran the shower,,put the kettle on,,and the noticed the absence of er a bath towel? then with the kettle boilled, I put in the tea bag.,i then noticed NO MILK?? so no brew then,,?,and made do with a quick wash the th sm hand towel! and decended the stairs to breakfast,,,to my surprise it was excellent and I told the girl who attended me of my dreadfull night,,she took my name and would indeed raise the complaint with tim,,the manager? whom would call me the very next day,,/? I am still awaiting the call I gave my business card with all my details on but nada , nowt no call, so I complimented the cheff and left to scrape my frozen van into life..and the moral of this tale,,,room 5 is ok in a heatwave...but other than that , take a heater, s leeping bag, oh and a bath towel. n milk, n a pillow,,or just camp? needless to sayi had a torrid days work ahead of a 5 hour drive which incidently I had to pull over on the m5 and fell asleep , thankfully not on the m,way,,

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank joe c
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My friend and I stayed here on 17 February, at very short notice on a business trip. We thought we were booked into a Travelodge near Frome, but when we got there we found that we had pressed the button for the wrong month, so our booking was invalid. Of course they were full and bookings have to be done in advance and online anyway. So we Googled nearby hotels on Trip Advisor and found this one, we phoned Jim (the manager) at 8 pm and he was extremely helpful, he offered us a large room with twin beds, ensuite bathroom and large Sky TV at a very reasonable price. We had hot baths, and a very comfortable nights sleep. The breakfast was a full English and delicious, well cooked and presented. We will certainly stay here again when we are on our next trip to this part of the UK. Thank you Jim.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
#1 of 2 in Cannards Grave
The Prestleigh Inn
The Prestleigh Inn
#20 of 36 in Shepton Mallet

Been to Cannards Well? Share your experiences!