“Will call again when the hotel is finished”

The Europe Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fossa
DUBLIN
“Will call again when the hotel is finished”
Reviewed 18 May 2008

I have recently stayed at the newly refurbished hotel europe and resort in killarney, i stayed here in 2006 and wanted to return to the hotel to see the refurbishment as our stay in 06 had being fantastic. On Arrival at the hotel i was greeted by a young gentleman in a suit with a very pleaseant "good afternoon you are very welcome" no second chance at a first time inmpession? The we checked in to the hotel and our luggage was taken to our room by a man called donie who gave us a a bit of background on the new hotel. Our room was spotless and very nice but looking out at the lake was a bit of an eye sore becuase of the machinery that was still working outside of the hotel but we didnt worry too much becuase we were upgraded to a lakeview room free of charge, We then went to the brasserie for some food around 6.30 and to say the least the food was not 5 star standard service was excellent no complaints here. Just as we went to get up from our main course the same gentleman that greeted us on arrival came over and said hello everything ok can i get ye tea oor desserts/drink etc he had such a pleasent attitude that we decided to stay, we ordered and he chatted with us for some time makeing us feel welcome answering all our questions and giving us and update on the work in progress a, after dinner we went back to our room and rang down to reception for a bucket of ice within minuites knock at the door the sameguy again whom we had then found out to be david,he seamed to be everywhere .next morning he was in the breakfast room checking tables and spoke with us again on our departure we felt like we had a new friend in the hotel europe we will be back . just a few points to the general manager. no mini bar in the room no towels changed at turndown, no wake up call, no room service after 11pm dont want to sound like a moan but these need attention. dont get me wrong this is a fantastic hotel and i can understand that every hotel will have teathing problems. will be returning in july again to see have problems being rectified ......

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — No Mini Bar
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Dublin
Reviewed 17 May 2008

We recently stayed at the New Europe Hotel & Resort.

It was many years ago,when I stayed here and the inside has being totally remodelled, The Restaurant & Bar which I believe will be done this autum.

The Rooms are a bit drab and DO not mix in with the beautiful refurbishment on the ground floor. Saying that the view is fantastic, rooms are big and very much german/continental in style.

I knew the Spa was not going to be open which was fine.

The Only serious issue I have with this hotel is the FOOD is not 5*. I have travelled extensively and do believe that the food here has not moved on since the 60s when it was opened. Very Expensive but not finesse and taste about the food.

We ate in the Main Restaurant and the food was just paassable, salads with out dressings etc, Bread, the crust so hard it would break your jaw, bought in butter flowers, etc etc. just not 5 star.

The Food in the brasserie is hit and miss. I had Shank of Lamb that was suppose to be braised, it was so dry i could not cut it, presentation was awful, but price was far too expensive, the chocolate cake tasted good but do believe it may be bought in.

Staff especially younger memebers are very friendly. We spoke to a Manager called David on a few occassions whom was very friendly and courteous, he said it was his first year at the hotel, very impressed by his style and customer care, didnt see any other Managers at the hotel only the Restaurant Managers.

All I will say is that it has the essence of a fantastic product in Hotel, Service, Location, but the food needs a major overhaul, and that is not exagerating. It wont stop me staying there , but probably will eat out. Just act on this and all will be fine!

Stayed April 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 April 2008

Stayed here for two nights recently.

When we arrived at the hotel, I thought the building was a bit ugly and I was not filled with hope but when we got in we were greeted by a beautiful reception area and very professional staff. The lounge areas are very well decorated, they look great.

We then proceeded upwards to our room which I am sorry to say was not spectacular, yes it was big but that is not everything. We had a good sized double bed in the main bedroom area and there were 2 single beds in another room which contained the wardrobes. Initially this seemed good but then we realised the 2 single beds in this room got in the way of opening the wardrobe doors. Also it was bit annoying storing all your things so far from the bedroom area.
The overall room was large enough for a family but as the only storage was in the room with the extra beds I think it would be tricky getting in and out with children in there too. Admittedly these are not major problems but its when a hotel gets the small things right that you really appreciate it.

There was a card in the room saying "Feeling thirsty?" and it directed you to the mini-bar for refreshment but this was not working, another disappointment, though I got the impression they would be working in future.

There was no tea and coffee in the room either, this is just one of those little things you come to expect which makes you feel like you are in a home from home but alas not here.

The bathroom was great, much more up to the standard you would expect. There were 2 wash hand basins, a bath and a lovely, strong shower. The lighting, toiletries and mirrors were all perfect.

On one wall, the room had floor to ceiling glass sliding doors which opened on to a balcony, with a stunning view of the lake. I am sure this would be a lovely place to relax on a summer evening. Unfortunately we were unable to enjoy any of this as there were a multitude of builders beneath. The noise they made was incredible! There were no blinds on the windows so if you wanted privacy from the builders you had to close the curtains, blocking off all daylight & the wonderful view. The balconies (which most rooms have) would be a real selling point for the hotel but it would be impossible to enjoy them until the building work is finished.

There was no air conditioning in the room and we thought it was very warm but again opening the sliding doors to the balcony was hardly an option with the constant racket outside.

We got breakfast delivered to our room one morning, this was poor to say the least. No choice of cereals- cornflakes or nothing. Then no cooked breakfast choice, why is this not possible in a top end hotel. When we got our breakfast the server took away the heat covers so it was stone cold by the time we ate it. They also forgot to provide us with a fork and spoon. Rather than phone for them and let it get even colder we had to eat it with a teaspoon and knife, classy! The food itself was pretty poor too. A good hotel should not make silly mistakes like this.

We also had a room service lunch of two paninis. These were very tasty, hot and came with knives and forks! The presentation of this food was so much better. I sometimes wonder do hotels resent providing breakfast in your room because mistakes and poor food are the norm, yet other meals can arrive with no problems.

The swimming pool and spa are not ready yet but you do have access to the pool in a sister hotel.

We did enjoy our stay here, it is a nice hotel but its definitely not worth the price charged per night. I feel that completion of the building work, and a few small changes to the rooms would make this a really great hotel but until then one or two of those five stars on the front of the hotel should be kept in storage..

• Liked — Beautiful lounge areas
  • Disliked — The Builders
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daai
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 April 2008

I got a deal on this hotel via the LuxuryLink website. I didn't read the fine print very well and missed that the spa wasn't open until June (now July or August). The spa was my main reason for booking, I asked twice for a room upgrade to compensate and my request met on deaf ears even though the hotel was virtually empty. I did escalte to a manager who picked up a very nice meal at the hotel. This hotel is partially done and still under major construction (which will awaken you every morning). The staff is very nice but not very knowledgeable on the local attractions. The breakfast was good but sometimes a bit stale and unimaginative. The restaurants were very good but very expensive. No doubt the place will be amazing when they're finished with constuction and have worked with the staff some more (hotel was closed for 18 months).

• Liked — When finished the hotel will be great
  • Disliked — major construction
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 28 August 2006

I worried when I read some reviews of this hotel! However, after staying for 2 days I had to write my own! This hotel has the most magnificent views of any I've seen in Ireland. It is tranquil and beautiful. The room was gorgeous, 99% of the staff were extremely helpful and friendly and overall it was a lovely, lovely experience.

• Liked — The views are stunning.
  • Disliked — nothing really. 'just that the room service wasn't available 24 hrs as noted that it was!
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy one of the most beautiful and tranquil spots in this wonderful country.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank JeanetteMc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 July 2006

this hotel is absolutly outstanding. the food, views, service peopple on reception were incredable!! me and my boyfriend really loved this hotel and we sure will be back soon. if any body working there reading this i would like to say a big thank-you to the people who made our stay outstanding!!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
phoenix, arizona
Reviewed 14 July 2006

This is a beautiful old hotel. The grounds are lovely but the service and attitude of the staff leaves a lot to be desired. The bed was one of the worst I've ever attempted to sleep on. I notified the staff after our first night. They informed me they would send housekeeping to our room. They said they put a new matress on the bed but we couldn't tell the difference. The hotel seemed to be empty. When we did ask for assistance we felt as if we were inconviencing the staff. Beware of trying to use a calling card from your room. They tried to charge us 47 euro for using an automated phone line to connect to AT&T. We have stayed in the Killarney 3 times and never experienced anything like this. Would never stay here again. Probably one of the most beautiful hotels made ugly by the staff. What a waste.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank 11jian11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fossa
Lake Hotel
The Malton Hotel
The Malton Hotel
#14 of 38 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,088 reviews

Been to The Europe Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!