“Stunning!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fossa
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Stunning!”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with a birthday weekend away at The Europe. From the moment we arrived, I felt totally spoilt by the exceptional customer service and attention to detail.

The grounds were beautiful and we even went horse riding (included in the price) around the Hotel.

The swimming pool, sauna and steam room were phenomenal and had breath taking views across the lake.

Our room was luxurious and comfy and I couldn't get enough of the view of the lake from our room.

Food was delicious and service was the highest standard I have ever received. We ate in both restaurants during our stay and we were not dissappointed. The evening entertainment in the bar/ pub was great. Breakfast was also great as had a huge selection.

The trip to the Gap of Dunloe should not be missed. We were picked up by boat by the lake, travelled across 3 lakes to Lord Brandon's Cottage. We then travelled by horse and trap through The Gap to Kate Kearney's Cottage. The hotel had arranged that we do this journey in this direction to avoid the crowds and had organised collection for us from the cottage.

I didn't want to leave! Will definitely return,

Room Tip: Lake view room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Lovely hotel for a romantic break away or girls spa getaway (though they don't make it an easy process for groups to book). The hotel itself is huge and the spa and pool area covers 2 floors so is really the main focus. Had trouble getting the dinner reservation we wanted but it worked out OK in the end. Food was very good. The hotel seem to want to push people into the Fine Dining Panorama Restaurant but there is much more demand for the Brassiere Restaurant. Its a pity the Brassiere isnt larger to accommodate more.
The service was average to poor. Several times over the 2 days were were there we struggled to find a staff member to take our order for tea/coffee etc and some orders were lost/delayed (we were in the lobby/reception area - service in the restaurant was better). For a 5 star this really isn't acceptable. When you could get served, the staff were generally pleasant. There was a band playing in the bar the night we stayed and they were awful.
Having said all of that I would return for the spa. The Lakeside room we had was really nice, breakfast was lovely, and dinner was good. More attentive staff and better evening entertainment would really make a difference.

Room Tip: If you don't want fine dining you need to plan on eating early (think 6.30pm-7pm on a Saturday...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Booked a 1 night stay with my husband as a getaway. We arrived at 3pm but our room was not ready, reception told us to have a coffee and the room should be ready within a half hour, nobody came to tell us that the room was ready so after about an hour we went back to reception - the room was ready but it would have been more personable to be told so rather than having to go back to reception. The coffees were also not complimentary, €4. each. We found the hotel to be rather cold throughout our stay. Dinner was lovely but breakfast was very poor, it was all buffet even the hot counter and all a bit manic and busy, waiting for the eggs while the rest of your breakfast is going cold. Checkout was not smooth either. I couldn't fault the room, amazing lakeview room.

Room Tip: upgrade to a lakeview room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laura o
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Beautiful location..absolutely breathtaking. Fantastic bistro...great selection and lovely stylish decor.
Horse trekking for children was a great and very popular option.
Very child friendly...loads to do ( tennis, walking etc.)
The spa was just out of this world.

Room Tip: Lakeview is a dream !
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 30Catherine
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I didn't know what to expect when I arrived at the Europe Hotel. The view out the back of the hotel was breath-taking. I was so glad I brought my swimsuit. The fancy indoor/outdoor pool and hot tub was perfect for the end of my travel day. The workout center and spa worked their magic on me before dinner at the hotel restaurant that night. I don't think I have enjoyed a hotel as much as this in a long time and I have traveled to many countries. A jewel!

Room Tip: Make sure you request a view of the lake and the mountains. You don't want to be facing the par...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

My wife booked the Europe for one night. I was picking up my classic car from pristine classics in glenbeigh. We have a young child aged 17 months. We had a great stay with fond memories of our baby girl taking her first swim with mum and dad held all the time as the pool is to deep for little ones but that did not stop us from having a experience ill never forget magic time. Had dinner early which was perfect. Then to bed early and up early for breakfast and yes you guessed another swim in that amazing heated pool which opens to the outside views of lakes and mountains. Headed home a very happy couple the staff where so much on the ball and friendly even the lady who cooked me scrambled eggs her style. Went for a walk then my wife says she's taking Anna for horse riding I was a bit puzzled as Anna is only just past being a baby. Sure enough meet a charter of a man who tacked up custard or Danny I not sure and had my wife and Anna on the horse before I knew it another great moment for any parent!! Good times and thanks to the door man for letting me park the car that had a security camera on it over night just in case. Which made me sleep a lot better. We will be back thanks guys

• Stayed November 2013
cork
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Had a most enjoyable stay at the Europe,room was of a high standard,had room service which was again a high standard.dinner and breakfast all great quality with amazing views.pool and spa great too.its a little more on the cost compared to other hotels but well worth it,great hotel overall that seems to be on song

Room Tip: Rooms on the lake side are defo the best
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank liadancork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fossa
Lake Hotel
The Malton Hotel
The Malton Hotel
#14 of 38 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,088 reviews

Been to The Europe Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!