Just back from hotel europe having frequented it for many years, but not since the renovation was completed.
Absolutely fabulous hotel. Fantastic makeover. Warm and comfortable. Situated on an amazing site overlooking the lakes, with beautifully kept grounds and amazing view. Warm welcome by a member of staff who is working at the Europe almost 40 years. Very friendly and remembered us from long ago.
We were allocated a big spacious room with lake view. Beautiful bathroom with large shower head, good pressure and plenty of hot water .
Dinner, omg, for a five star Hotel, it let itself down badly. Starters okay. Beef and duck had to be returned. Unedible. The presentation was diabolical. Both dishes were a lump of leather. Off putting to look at, and so tough not possible to eat. Dried out. We did send them back, and settled on fresh vegetables which were delicious, and we were not charged for our dinner. Desserts a huge delight. Chef obviously takes pride in her work. The best cheese plate ever. Amazing selection and presentation.
And then to breakfast. Huge quantities of precooked, dried up hot buffet. Looked poor quality products. Choose two fried eggs and was literally ill with them swimming in oil. Nice selection of breads, some fruits, leaving a lot to be desired.
Following morning decided to try an omelette. Ingredients put on pan and a LADLE of oil pored on top to cook before eggs were added. I said to the chef no thank you, too much oil, and she said it is Sunday, will do you no harm. Ha. But she did a fresh one with hardly any oil. Just okay. So restaurant experience one star.
Had two treatments in the wonderful Spa. 5 star experience here. Very friendly staff, well trained and pleasant. Treatments excellent and felt wonderful after.
However, the swimming pool area was a nightmare. The Europe has become very family orientated. And if like us, you work hard all week, and want a quiet and restful time, this is not the place to go to . There was loud and not controlled children running around, and I could not believe to see them in the jacuzzi including a baby in nappies. I called a member of staff and she said there was nothing she could do, but if we wanted to move to a quieter area ourselves. To move to the spa area male and female areas are separate, so we wanted to relax together and read, which was impossible with wild children.
And the really annoying thing was at night time in the main restaurant, there were buggies being wheeled in and more children. Very off putting .
Not a good experience.
One of the nights we went to Nicks restaurant in killorglin, where we enjoyed a fabulous meal, and warm and inviting atmosphere. No complaints here.
Our overall stay in Hotel Europe was quiet enjoyable, but spoilt with not up to standard food, and bold children. Even at breakfast this morning one boy jumping up on the window ledge at our table. Staff just ignored.
Coming down in the lift, in the lift champagne bucket, dirty glasses, tray, napkins and empty bottle. As I got out of the lift concierge was passing and I called him. Unpleasant to be asked to take them out of the lift, and just glared. Previous day on our floor, on the window sills, empty glasses and bottles taken Out of rooms and not collected, and left there all day.
Oh dear, not the Hotel Europe we remembered. You need to get your act together.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the shores of Lough Lein, The 5 Star Europe Hotel and Resort has been welcoming guests for over fifty years and has reopened after a 70m face lift which includes the stunning 4,600 sq.m. spa called ESPA at The Europe. From the moment you cross the threshold of the hotel you step into another world. A magnificent two story atrium with glass doors leads onto a garden terrace with a view of the lake and the mountains beyond which leaves you breathless. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Preferred Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Europe Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Europe Hotel Killarney
- The Europe Hotel And Resort
- Europe Hotel Killarney