“Fabulous hotel”

The Europe Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fossa
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel has had a huge investment, and is clearly aimed at the conference market. It was not busy when we stayed, and unfortunately the Panarama Restaurant was closed throughout our stay. The small shop was also closed, which was a bit of a pain, as it meant going out to buy bits and pieces. The overall decor and maintenance of the hotel is superb.

Our one bedroom suite overlooking the lake was beautiful - the grounds are immaculate and we saw deer along the lakeside as well as other wildlife. Sadly no eagles!

The breakfast was good, as was the food in the Brasserie, although neither were outstanding.

The staff, on the whole, were excellent, particularly the Reception staff welcoming us and helping throughout our stay and the restaurant staff. The only negative experience was on our final night when the housekeeper wanted to 'turn down' around 6.30 as we were getting ready for dinner. When I said it was too early, she thrust the water and chocolates at me, and disappeared as quickly as she could! Made us laugh - she'd obviously had a long day!

I had a facial which was lovely, and my husband used the fitness centre and pool a great deal. We have stayed in many hotels all over the world, and he thought this was the best fitness set-up he'd seen. Despite the weather being decidedly dodgy, he would be happy to return here time and time again purely for the facilities.

I'm sure we will return in the future, when we're in need of a short break.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Let me start off by saying I'm SUPER late posting this (Nov.2012 - it wouldn't let me go that far back on the date) but better late than never hopefully? I decided to post this because I've started using Trip Advisor more lately so I figured I might as well list my reviews while I'm at it.

Normally this would be a hands down 5 star review except the "service" here was literally the worst I have ever experienced. The only thing that brings this review to 3 stars is because the hotel, suite, grounds, and facilities were breathtaking. We got the 1 bedroom lake view suite as a complimentary upgrade as compensation for the hotel posting they had availability on days they were actually closed (that's horrible that this could and did actually happen). Apparently they are only open a few days a week during some winter months. I had to change my dates of stay and itinerary as a result which was incredibly irritating but I'm thankful I even had the ability. (I received an EMAIL 4 days AFTER receiving a confirmation email that my stay was confirmed stating my dates were not available and I needed to choose a different hotel). Important note: I booked through Hotels.com and it was both parties (Hotels.com and the Europe Hotel) lack of communication with each other that allowed this error to occur. Took me 2 WEEKS before it was resolved to my satisfaction.

The view of the lake and mountains from our suite and it's humongous terrace was stunning (as is the whole freaking country for that matter)!!!!
We booked a private spa suite for a pretty penny but oh my GOD is it COMPLETELY WORTH it!!! None of the spa experiences here in Vegas compare so spas are nearly ruined for me haha. We had a private suite with its own HUGE jetted tub smack dab in the middle of a square room which had floor to ceiling windows to give you an amazing view while you relaxed. They also had thick drapes you could close for privacy and darkness. The room had 2 plushy loungers to relax on and it was connected to your treatment room where we enjoyed a couple's treatment (myself a facial and the Hubs a massage). Afterwards they bring you back to the room with chilled fruit pieces and fruit *smoothies*. HEAVEN! I STILL think about that room to this day!
The only bad experience involving the spa was the receptionist. Super rude woman answering the phones when I called to ask questions about different treatments, rates, and availability. She rushed me off the phone, gave me incorrect hours of operation which caused some hassle later on, and was incredibly unhelpful. She almost caused me NOT to book a treatment.
Their restaurant was nothing to write home about but not bad either. Their Sunday brunch however was again FABULOUS!!!! Views of their grounds, amazing food (it was buffet style but had a small menu you could order a la carte from). Didn't like the waiter - he was short with us and made us feel like we were unwanted (we're not only very young but we look like teenagers pretty much).
The in suite dining operator was also very rude, unhelpful, and should be trained on how to give service. I called asking if they sold smoothies as I was craving one (it was 10PM and I couldn't find anything open online to go out for one). She simply said, "No" and that was it. No recommendations on something similar, no apologies, just no and silence. I asked if they could possibly make one if I paid for it since they had the ingredients and she said again, "no." I hung up and 10 minutes later thought maybe they did shakes? I called back to ask and she actually said, "Did't you just call a few minutes ago? I told you already no smoothies, we don't make them." This made me so angry. I proceeded to tell her I didn't ask for a smoothie just then I asked for a shake and they're completely different. She said, "Well we don't have shakes either." At that point I was so angry I gave up. This might sound trivial but isn't that what service is? A person's willingness to accommodate requests (reasonable ones of course) and providing alternatives should they need to say no? Service is when you're friendly and you go out of your way to make your guest feels valued and important, you're helpful, and knowledgeable. This is supposedly ranked a 5 star hotel; it's not 5 star to just flat out tell your guest no without an alternative. The restaurant on property had shakes by the way as did the spa cafe have a smoothie (i mean i had one after my treatment) and she could've easily told me, "no sorry, however if you're willing to wait until morning they serve them in the restaurant downstairs or with the spa." How hard would that have been?
Anyway, enough about the smoothies. The bellman was super nice (the only employee that was helpful there) and always was quick and helpful with questions. Mad at myself for not remembering his name as he deserves a raise. The entire rest of the hotel staff could take some pointers! The concierge and front desk were also unfriendly - never seemed to smile and all my questions seemed to bother or inconvenience them. I asked directions to Giants Causeway (you MUST go here regardless of the 4-5 hour drive from the hotel. It's gorgeous). I had to ask several times before he gave me directions outlined on a map (I'm sorry but in a foreign country when you're literally driving to the other end of said country simply telling someone "take this street then this highway and follow the signs saying Giants Causeway" is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE). I had to ask him to draw a route on the map showing me so I could reference it in case we get confused or lost on the way (again it's a 4-5 hour drive!). He even sighed when I asked!

Lastly housekeeping came into our suite when I had a "Do not disturb" sign (I don't have my room serviced during any hotel stay - i keep it clean for the most part and call for towels and such when needed. I don't personally like the idea of a stranger in my room with my stuff when I'm gone).
This was especially upsetting considering we had our stuff out (laptop, my purse with my money and other items). Not that I actually thought anyone would steal or anything, it's just the principal.

All in all it's a great hotel if you don't mind having essentially no service or assistance from the staff. Just do your own research ahead of time. It's beautiful and still a great memory for me. It was a short drive to shops, restaurants, bars, etc. too. For such a beautiful hotel it was not super expensive (about $269 USD/night). Then again I had a free suite so I don't know if that made me feel I had a better value or not.

Room Tip: Definitely get something with a lake view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TheMrnMrsC
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Would that I could have stayed longer. From arrival to departure this was one spectacular adventure.
From the restaurant I could see the peak of Carrauntoohil. In the garden below, rabbits gambolled. I was told that deer occasionally paid a visit. Nature was at its best and the hotel staff were on a par with it. Lough Leane reflected a beautiful blue sky and I wished that I could stay there for ever.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the Lake. I would not choose elsewhere
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 79Pat
Reviewed 19 May 2014

amazing views from the lake view rooms, staff could not do more to help you, and the food is outstanding.
The views from the restaurant and gardens are superb. the only minor detail from visits to the hotel was the bar not serving during the day and had to use the restaurant bar.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

There is a real Wow factor with this hotel, from the beautiful peaceful location to the quality of the hotel itself, to the wonderful friendly staff, this is one of the best places I have ever stayed in. The dinner in the restaurant was exceptional and to be fair, reasonably priced, as was the wine. The breakfast was real quality but the views from the restaurant were to die for and I was just so disappointed that I was only there for 1 night but we will be back as this is one special place. Wonderful...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at the Europe Hotel for five nights to attend a business convention. The hotel easily and nicely accommodated 200 of us. It appeared to me that every room has nice balcony with a lake and mountain view looking over a well-groomed large garden. Food was excellent. The wait staff in the restaurant and bars were terrific and very friendly, Killarney is beautiful, well kept Irish town. Our son and daughter-in-law said the pool and spa were incredible. The included breakfast was wonderful with plenty to choose from the buffet and two omelet cooks to prepare whatever you wish. There were interesting tours of the Kerry Ring; a small fishing boat ride through two lakes and a river, returning through the mountain gap on a horse cart; and a tour of the area around the Dingle Peninsula including a visit to the Islander's Museum.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Superlatives cannot describe The Europe Hotel. What a fantastic experience and regretfully short stay we had in Killarney's very best hotel. Arriving in the car park with a covered walkway into the foyer of beautiful proportions and décor. Greeted by very helpful reception staff and brought to a fantastic room overlooking Lough Lein. A complimentary array of excellent fresh fruit and sparkling water awaited us. The view is really great with the peaceful waters surrounded by flowing hills and the light reflecting all around. The perfectly manicured and cared for gardens running right down to the lakeside with a gravelled walkway at the edge so that one could enjoy a peaceful stroll at any time. Exploring the public areas took some time as the array of lounges and hideaways we found, where one could sit and read quietly of gaze at the view or just chat, are special. The Spa, well what can one say, it's just amazing with the large pool and indoor/outdoor very large hot tub effect with a selection of reclining shapes with a variety of bubble therapy jets. The ability to reach the outdoor area through the side of the indoor pool is great. Visit the website for a much fuller description of the Panorama restaurant The Brassiere and believe what is said but what they are missing out on is describing the staff. Without exception they are the most friendly bunch of people one could hope to meet anywhere in the hotel business. I would like to mention just two, especially those serving in the Brassiere, Cynthia who made our meal so enjoyable and the remarkable barman Danny who not only is so knowledgeable about his business but seems to effortlessly control the whole staff here and provide all customers with excellent service and attention. We had to leave but we will be back ASAP.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the lake should be a must.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fossa
Lake Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
#3 of 38 in Killarney
Parknasilla Resort & Spa

Been to The Europe Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!