“Great coeliac awareness”

The Europe Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fossa
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in the Europe for a weekend break and it was just fabulous! The pool, indoor/outdoor jacuzzi and salt water pool were a real treat. What made the stay really special was the high level of coeliac awareness and excellent dining options for my gluten free husband. He was utterly spoiled. The Europe in my new favourite hotel in Killarney, we will be back.

Room Tip: Pick a lake view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank purplejoe

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Definitely the best luxurious lake side hotel in Ireland. It has it all; delicious dining, The Brasserie is great for seafood dinners and nice wine, huge variety breakfast buffet with made to order (tailored to us figure conscious) omlettes!, comfort, style, top class spa, pool, outdoor and indoor jacuzzi, great gym, walks, cycles, kayaking, boating, shuttle bus, helpful & friendly staff. Nice to see some Kerry people on the team they are great craic and really full of the local knowledge! Pay the extra for the lake view with spacious balcony - it is more than worth it - u wont regret it. Great for a "sensible" spa weekend, couples, families and business. The outdoor jacuzzi and sun lounging area are my favorite. As are the quiet library and lounge area for reading a book over a herbal tea, overlooking the breath taking views. The whole place has a sense of calmness - I think its from the lake and the team there. Nobody bothers you if you don't want to be bothered! The beds are so comfortable with really high quality linen.
If you prefer a more formal dining experience one evening try the dining room magnificent cuisine to taste.
This place just ticks all of the boxes. Having stayed there about five times now, I'm already planning my next trip to The Europe.
Just book it - you too will fall head over heels and fall for its charms.

Room Tip: Lakeview with spacious balconey - you wont regret it. If unavailable the golf view are also good.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MaireaddeBrun
Reviewed 22 July 2014

After a 5 hour drive to get to this hotel, all we wanted to do was check in and get to our room. Reception staff were welcoming and friendly and asked us if we had a long journey. We were given a hot flannel for our hands and asked if we would like any help with our bags. As this was our first time staying at this hotel they ran through the general info about restaurant booking and where breakfast was served. Breakfast times are stated inside your room key but it would have been nice to be told as well.

We made our way to our room there was a strong smell of cigarette smoke in the corridor. As a non smoker this was a bit off putting. I presume this is from guests smoking on the balcony of the rooms. I'm not sure if this is against hotel policy, but it should be!!

Our room was immaculate and spacious with a balcony. I immediately looked for the tea/coffee facilities and was disappointed to find out that I had to contact reception to get them to send up a kettle. An hour and 3 door knocks later it finally arrived.

We went out later that day to the Killarney races, only to return around 23:30pm to a warm room with NO air conditioning. Yes you could open the balcony door, but I wouldn't have felt very safe. I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel with no air conditioning. At this point I started to wonder had we chosen the right hotel, after all the great reviews I had read.

Breakfast was lovely, with a great variety of food to choose from. Our table each morning was at the window and the view was just amazing. I found staff polite and friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

The spa is open from 7am-9pm and it is just stunning. Lovely relaxing atmosphere with beautiful scenery. Only downfall is that they do let children in! I have no problem with children being allowed in the pool, but I found at some points it was like being in my local leisure centre. Although there is notices to say strictly over 16s I did encounter a few children running in and out of the relaxation suite screaming while I was in the salt bath. But all in all it really is a truly amazing place with breathtaking views.

Overall would I recommend this hotel? yes, but take on board my comments

Would I return? No, but I think for my husband and I we had very high expectations for this hotel, and felt slightly let down that it wasn't the relaxation break we had hoped for. Obviously the hotel isn't responsible for other peoples ignorance.

5  Thank Lynne H
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We spent 3 nights at The Europe Hotel and we were not disappointed. The setting of the hotel is breathtaking with a view that you would never tire of. The hotel from the outside is not that impressive but the interior makes up for it with spacious, luxurious lounge areas, a library, bar, shop and great eating facilities. The SPA is one of the best i have ever had the pleasure of relaxing in - clean, spacious, luxurious, beautiful and with an outdoor small pool area where you can enjoy the incredible views. I also had a treatment at the SPA and it was well worth it. There are free indoor tennis facilities and free horse riding available. We had wished that there had been bikes or rowing boats available to use - this would have been a nice touch. Breakfast was a wee bit chaotic - would be better if you did not have to queue but it was in the Panoramic restaurant which again hosted the wonderful views. It is a little outside of Killarney with a taxi costing around 10-12 Euros.
Overall we would recommend and will definitely return for another relaxing visit.

Room Tip: try to get a room with a view of the Lough
1  Thank littlevic1
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The service was impeccable, and the stay was incredibly comfortable. Everything was highly enjoyable: food, spa, bike hire, general friendliness. Podraig at the Concierge provided invaluable suggestions and local tips, and was helpful and warm. The spa treatment was the best I have ever had, particularly Valerie. All the staff were wonderful, and I was impressed with the executive chef leading from the front by serving breakfast and with the exceptional quality of the food.

1  Thank N R
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My mom fell in love with the property the second we stepped out of the car. The hotel is a blend of modern, clean lines with rich colors on the interior. The receptionist Patrick was downright adorable. Very knowledgeable about day trips and other excursions.

However, I was some what unimpressed with my spa experience. When I had my massage, the woman was very harsh and applied far to much pressure. I awoke the next day with a sore back! The spa facilities were very lovely though. I especially enjoyed the tranquilty pool.

Room Tip: rooms above the 3rd floor are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Natasha L
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Relaxing on our oversized balcony, enjoying views of the lake, sun rises, sun sets and wildlife. A super home base for day trips to challenging, nearby golf courses like Tralee and Waterville. Hotel staff is very accommodating. The hotel design and construction is second to none. Every room is sold but we feel privacy and pampering. We also had a mishap with our rental car -- hotel was very helpful.

Room Tip: Lake view Room
2  Thank Davishome
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fossa
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa
#3 of 38 in Killarney
The Malton Hotel
The Malton Hotel
#16 of 38 in Killarney

Been to The Europe Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!