“Stunning location - wonderful staff”

The Europe Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fossa
Reviewed 26 August 2010

We stayed at this property for two nights on our trip through Ireland. We actually changed to this hotel after seeing another trip advisor review. We had booked a golfside double room which included two breakfasts and one evening meal. Upon arrival we were greeted and told our room was 368 (apparently we had been upgraded to a lakeside room which we were delighted with).
The foyer area looks like it does on the internet and the fire places look lovely, pity they didnt have them on as it would have been very impressive.
Our room was quite spacious with a separate lounge area on another level and had windows overlooking the grounds and the lake right across it, also you could slide these huge windows back to let some air into the room.

The bathroom was huge with a separate shower and bath, bidet and toilet and lots of vanity bench top space and cupboards.

The room had an older feel to it and apparently the hotel is closing earlier this winter for further refurbishments and I feel the rooms could be a litle more modernised with their bed linens etc.
It was disappointing that we could not get any laundry done on a Saturday as we had a considerable amount to get done, however, both the concierge and front desk staff tried to ring around to find a laundry that was open but to no avail.

The hotel is spread out over the grounds in like a big "u" shape and you need to explore it as there is more than one restaurant and bar. The first night we had drinks in the bar area off the reception area, its quite modern in its style and colours. We then went to the fine dining restaurante for our evenng meal deal which was much better than we thought it would be, beiing a meal deal - strongly recommend you take this as part of your package if you really like good quality food.

This restaurant was wonderful, the views were exceptional from all tables over the lake and the food was exceptional, especially the scallops, whilst the service was a little slow and at times they forgot things overall we had a very nice evening and would certainly recommend dining in this restaurant.

After dinner we went into one of the bars near this restaurant for an after dinner drink, lovely area with leather chairs and open fire places and it was lovely to curl up near the fire with a drink, - very good service in this bar.

The grounds are just gorgeous and all rooms either look out onto the lake or the golf course next door, splurge and get the lake view we were pleased that we got upgraded to the late view as its exceptional.
Whilst we did not try the spa it looked very impressive and seemed to be well patronised.
Breakfast was buffett style and the staff were all very friendly.
The next night we ate at the Brassiere style restaurant, more casual dining and lots of families eating here, good food and good service.

Overall certainly glad we stayed there more so for the views and public areas than the actual room, but feel once they upgrade the rooms they will come in line with the public areas.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 August 2010

I gave my parents a gift of two nights stay int the Europe for their 40th anniversary and joined them on the Friday night for a meal and some drinks . Having managed hotels in Australia i could not find one fault with the service / hotel , the food was excellent and while dining the manager David came over and congratulated my parents personally which impressed my parents no end having also received a note in their room from David Cronin and Michael Brennan congratulating them on their 40th . Its the little extra things that make all the difference . My parents also made mention of the porters Padraig and Donie who were very helpful and my mother could not say enough about a very accommodating Marie in the spa .
All in all the hotel in its beautiful surroundings could not have made a better weekend for such an event .
Thanks to everyone in the Hotel Europe

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Ghosty726
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I have just returned from the most marvellous break in the Hotel Europe. I cannot emphasise enough how much we loved this place. I brought my sister there to celebrate her birthday, and we had the most special time. From the moment we arrived the absolute peacefulness and calm of the place was apparent not to speak of the friendly efficiency. We had a full-on lake-facing room with an absolutely breath-taking (honestly!) view. There are three restaurants and about three bars there, all of which are excellent and the choice of venue is great as you never tire of the one place. The pool is a work of art and we used that as much as we could, The spa is pure indulgence and the staff could not be more helpful. Food was great, albeit a bit more casual in the Spa Cafe. The Brasserie and Panorama restaurants are really superb. It felt a bit like the "Carlsberg" hotel to be honest where our every wish was catered for and all staff were unobtrusive but ever-present and ready to react to our every need. What we really loved was that the hotel was NOT at all pretentious and all were made to feel right at home. I think it was best summed up by the Kerry-man who we overheard on the phone on Sat morning who told his mother..."Mam, this is the place boy......". Particular staff who stood out for us include Marie-Anne in the Panorama, Louise in the Spa, and the two Kerry-men on the concierge desk. I would HIGHLY recommend the Europe for a Killarney break. Only danger is you may never see any sights as you will not want to leave this great hotel and its grounds.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Took my family, (2 girls, 15 & 13) to this hotel for a short midweek break. I had been previously, before the renovations and was delighted to see the changes made. The staff remained as good as they had been on my last trip, being helpful and friendly on all occasions. The rooms allocated had wonderful views over the Killarney lakes and were spacious and ideal for a family travelling together.
My wife loved the spa and the girls enjoyed the leisure facilities, especially the spa pool which is both indoors and outdoors and is designed for relaxing and kicking back. The tennis courts and the gardens give plenty of opportunity for exercise (for the girls) and relaxation (for my wife and I).
But the main difference between this and other luxury hotels is the staff. I can not speak highly enough of them.
The food, as last time, was absolutely top-notch with a menu that caters for the fussy eater (and what 15 year old girl isn't a fussy eater) and the epicurian.
And just as importantly these days the media centre gave the girls the chance to remain online away as much as they do at home.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I travelled with 2 other Friends to Killarney the weekend of the Irish Open, a very last minute decision. We arrived at the hotel at 10.30pm.
From the minute we checked in we were greeted with confidence and a warm welcome from very well trained and knowlegable staff.
As this was my second visit, all details had been kept on file, so check in was very speedy check in. We were escorted to our room. We decided to have a drink in the bar before heading into town, David Cronin The Hotel Manager on Duty came over to welcome us back to the hotel and advised us of the good places to head to in town : ) this is what hospitality is about in my opinion knowing who your customers are and coming spending time with them.

The Rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable and very relaxing.

The next morning after a late night, missing breaskfast..... which I do not recommmend as having been there in the past it is superb, we had a early lunch in the Spa Restaurant the variety and choice of menu options was absolutely fantastic so good that choosing what to actualy have is very difficult but I do recommend that you have the homemade soup and club sandwich but you better be hungry.

To conclude, The Hotel Europe is my piece of heaven, it offers everything the peace and quite of breaktaking countryside with the most amazing views whilst being close enough to Killarney to take in the social scene and as for the Golf well it was a 3 minute walk to the start of the 18th hole on the Kileen Course what more needs to be said... I'm already counting the days to going back again................. I should add that I worked in the industry for many years but I don't think any other hotel in Ireland will exceed the service & quality you will get at the Hotel Europe.... Thanks to everyone for an amazing stay again.. xoxo

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2010

The most beautiful hotel in Killarney. Perfect setting with gardens and lake. The rooms are excellent and the restaurant is very good.

Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank SharonOC
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I am sitting in the media center of the The Europe Hotel in Killarney as I write this review. Thats how bored I am. When I arrived, I texted a friend along the lines that the hotel was great. The room was superb and had a breath-taking view of the lake and mountain (hill?). The hotel had an impressive reception and the staff were attentive of our every need. What more could one ask for? Well, air-conditioning, for one. The room was stuffy and while I could have opened the window all night, it didn't help that we had a sick child in the room. The room for some odd reason does not have the standard in-room tea/coffee making facilities that is taken as a normal room feature in most hotels in the world. Would that be beneath its 5 star status? The tv has 18 channels but no movie channels. I stayed in two 4 star hotels this week and they both had a good selection of movies. I suspect one is not supposed to get tired of looking at the breath-taking views. The food is good to date but expensive. We ordered food to the room and I paid 18 euro for a pizza which was of the frozen out of a box kind. Thankfully, the dutiy manager removed it from my bill (excellent staff). There is great spa if that floats your boat but glossing over the treatment prices, one gets the feeling the hotel is from inclined to relieve you of your cash rather than relax your body.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HonestJohn5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fossa
Lake Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
#3 of 38 in Killarney
Parknasilla Resort & Spa

Been to The Europe Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!