“Beautiful & Tranquil”
Review of Fossil Bay Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oneroa
Fossil Bay Lodge
“Beautiful & Tranquil”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights whilst visiting Waiheke after travelling in and around the North Island. Thankfully we visited Waiheke last as this place ofers relaxation in an idyllic sanctuary type surrounding. I feel utterly refreshed after our visit.

We stayed in the apartment and although it was lovely having your own bathroom. ..all the accommodation looks beautiful kept. The place is very clean and the linen is fresh as a daisy. Upon arrival we were met by Matt the owner, he simply showed us to our room a d explained a few things and that was it. He was very polite and helpful - you couldn't ask for anything more in a host. You feel very much like you have the place to yourself even though you see the odd person or two.

Ten minute walk to town via the beach with a scatter of shops/bars/restaurants....Waiheke Island is the perfect place to visit and Fossil Bay is even more perfect.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The lodge fulfilled all my expectations. But having carefully read the lodge and room imformation and reviews first I knew pretty well what to expect. The room was basic but clean and bedding fresh. The kitchen was well appointed to be able cook any meal (gas cooker and microwave). Shared toilet and shower but so few guests staying that they never got in the way. Fellow guests were friendly. Lots of native bird life around. But overall, while there is a (sole charge) manager on site at set hours you are, after the initial welcome and orientation, pretty well left to yourself and indeed expected to be relatively self-sufficient during your stay. While ultra quiet (no tv but free Wifi), which is part if it's charm, weekday afternoons and evenings were marred by a chainsaw on a neighbouring property. The manager assured me this was only temporary. A hint, use the mosquito tent provided. Very good value for money for Waiheke Island and not a long walk from Oneroa village.

Room Tip: All chalets equally good.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I was a bit negative when it came to my trip to Waiheke Island because I was worried that it would be too busy and that there'd be people hassling me all the time. But I was positively surprised about how peaceful the lodge actually was. It's only a bit away from the main town of the island (but just about 10-15 minutes walk along the beach) but feels like a different world. It is very quiet and the manager also doesn't get into your way. I saw him once when I checked in and that was it. I know that he must have been around because everything was always clean - just as if there were some little fairies doing all the work when nobody was watching.

I stayed in one of the cabins and it was a really good bed, too. There is enough space for everything and you can just relax - or explore the island (which I did for hours without end). Some of the walkways start right next to the lodge - so it's ideal for people who love walking.

The kitchen is always clean (but I guess that also depends a lot on the guests). The only drawback is that there is no oven.

The shower works very well, the temperatures can be easily adjusted to what you want and the water pressure is good.

I would recommend this place to travellers who are independent and would like to have a peaceful stay without being surrounded by the average noisy tourists. All the people I met during my stay at the lodge were very interesting, mature travellers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kim A
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed at the apartment at fossil bay. I loved the first impression, this accommodation is tucked away, surrounded by beautiful gardens. there is approximately 4 lodges if I remember correctly and the apartment available to rent, apparently there is a kindergarten on the grounds, we seen it, however we never heard any noise coming from it, the only noise is birds singing which I loved waking up to. Worth to mention that I believe the apartment is the only accommodation there with private bathroom, well to gain access to the bathroom you had to go onto a small landing that you have to share with the host, we didn't mind at all. You also get a kitchen area with the apartment, which is well equipped. Fossil bay is within walking distance to two beaches, only a few minutes walk, we walked to town down the beach at night which was a very nice walk. You should also do the Fossil Bay walk, which actually takes you to a bay called Fossil Bay, sorry, I'm really not trying to confuse you! Well the bay is gorgeous and well worth seeing. There was also another beautiful walk, I forgot what it was called, anyway think there was signs for it from the accommodation, you go past some up a little hill, past some vines and you reach a beautiful viewpoint! Maybe ask host about it if you fancy! Also I shall add, I left my shoes at Fossil Bay and the host was very helpful with sending those out to me ! :-)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My Partner & I stayed 3 nights at this gorgeous lodge. The cabins are cute & romantic, perfect for couples. The room and the commons were clean and tidy. The lodge is in the best location. While surrounded by beautiful new Zealand bush, it is a short walk to the beach, the centre of town and there are also a few hike/tramping track starts very close by. It would be nice if the manager would make himself more available to guests in case they have any questions. There is a bell you ring when you check in, but after that, he wasn't to be seen. But either than that, beautiful lodge, would recommend to anyone, well worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
fossilbay, Owner at Fossil Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thanks for the feedback. Its a pleasure for us that you enjoyed your stay. The manager is available from 11am to 7pm and till 9pm on Fridays. And on call 24/7. The trick is to ring the bell so he knows that someone is requiring assistance, in which case he will attend quickly and efficiently to any enquiries, always with a smile.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stayed three nights here and really loved this place. It is beautiful, soulful and tranquil. You are only a 10 min beach walk from all the facilities in Oneroa but the location of the lodge feels rural and peaceful. There are large gum trees to rattle in the breeze and ducks and chickens wandering around the garden. The conservatory is a lovely place to sit and eat. Everything is low key and you are left to your own devices. There is only one bathroom but this was not a problem. There was a max of eight guests for some nights when we stayed. I slept so well here and managed a few swims in the sea. We even saw dolphins closes in to the beach. Returned home feeling relaxed and recharged. It was an easy journey from the airport as the airbus takes you striaght to the ferry terminal and the buses on the island meet the ferry.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2013

A great place for backpackers and solo travellers. The cabins are very comfortable, bed and linen almost new. A short walk from the village centre. Great facilities for cooking, comfortable longe area and beautiful garden. Highly recomend as a base for a stay on Waiheke. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneroa
Breakfast on the Beach Lodge
#2 of 6 in Oneroa
Watermark Holiday Studios
Watermark Holiday Studios
#7 of 28 in Waiheke Island

Been to Fossil Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!