“Fabulously relaxing”
Review of Fossil Bay Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oneroa
Fossil Bay Lodge
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Fabulously relaxing”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My hubby and I stayed in the larger tent last weekend and it was fabulous! The bed was super-comfy and the little extra we're gorgeous. Everything was very clean and the owner was great - he even answered his phone at 2am on Sunday morning!! We would definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank TaniaMcAnearney

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed here over Christmas last year. First in the apartment with a friend and then by myself in the blue cabin. It felt slightly further from Oneroa than I expected to begin with but by the end of my stay the distance felt nothing at all. The apartment was much bigger than anticipated and had everything we needed. The bathroom is just outside the main door, but is private -although quite small. Can be a little noisy if there are lots of people in the lounge below but generally people aren't in there late at night. The Blue cabin was lovely, as the front cabin I think it's the best, so nice to be able to sit out the front overlooking the gardens. Just a hop and a skip to across the courtyard to the shared bathroom. Matt was friendly and helpful when needed. The communal facilities were always clean and well equipped. The gardens are lovely, and it's nice to have a chat with the other guests.

Room Tip: The cabins are all different sizes, but if choosing between the yellow and the blue I'd go the b...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Gillyway
County Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for four nights in the blue cabin and couldn't have loved it anymore. I had to drag my partner away to catch the ferry back!! Cabin and kitchen was spotlessly clean at all times. The lodge is peaceful and close to the town. The manager matt was a fantastic host who takes great pride in fossil bay. Only wish we could have stayed longer. Will recommend to anyone who visits New Zealand.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Touristbynight
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights whilst visiting Waiheke after travelling in and around the North Island. Thankfully we visited Waiheke last as this place ofers relaxation in an idyllic sanctuary type surrounding. I feel utterly refreshed after our visit.

We stayed in the apartment and although it was lovely having your own bathroom. ..all the accommodation looks beautiful kept. The place is very clean and the linen is fresh as a daisy. Upon arrival we were met by Matt the owner, he simply showed us to our room a d explained a few things and that was it. He was very polite and helpful - you couldn't ask for anything more in a host. You feel very much like you have the place to yourself even though you see the odd person or two.

Ten minute walk to town via the beach with a scatter of shops/bars/restaurants....Waiheke Island is the perfect place to visit and Fossil Bay is even more perfect.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The lodge fulfilled all my expectations. But having carefully read the lodge and room imformation and reviews first I knew pretty well what to expect. The room was basic but clean and bedding fresh. The kitchen was well appointed to be able cook any meal (gas cooker and microwave). Shared toilet and shower but so few guests staying that they never got in the way. Fellow guests were friendly. Lots of native bird life around. But overall, while there is a (sole charge) manager on site at set hours you are, after the initial welcome and orientation, pretty well left to yourself and indeed expected to be relatively self-sufficient during your stay. While ultra quiet (no tv but free Wifi), which is part if it's charm, weekday afternoons and evenings were marred by a chainsaw on a neighbouring property. The manager assured me this was only temporary. A hint, use the mosquito tent provided. Very good value for money for Waiheke Island and not a long walk from Oneroa village.

Room Tip: All chalets equally good.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I was a bit negative when it came to my trip to Waiheke Island because I was worried that it would be too busy and that there'd be people hassling me all the time. But I was positively surprised about how peaceful the lodge actually was. It's only a bit away from the main town of the island (but just about 10-15 minutes walk along the beach) but feels like a different world. It is very quiet and the manager also doesn't get into your way. I saw him once when I checked in and that was it. I know that he must have been around because everything was always clean - just as if there were some little fairies doing all the work when nobody was watching.

I stayed in one of the cabins and it was a really good bed, too. There is enough space for everything and you can just relax - or explore the island (which I did for hours without end). Some of the walkways start right next to the lodge - so it's ideal for people who love walking.

The kitchen is always clean (but I guess that also depends a lot on the guests). The only drawback is that there is no oven.

The shower works very well, the temperatures can be easily adjusted to what you want and the water pressure is good.

I would recommend this place to travellers who are independent and would like to have a peaceful stay without being surrounded by the average noisy tourists. All the people I met during my stay at the lodge were very interesting, mature travellers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kim A
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed at the apartment at fossil bay. I loved the first impression, this accommodation is tucked away, surrounded by beautiful gardens. there is approximately 4 lodges if I remember correctly and the apartment available to rent, apparently there is a kindergarten on the grounds, we seen it, however we never heard any noise coming from it, the only noise is birds singing which I loved waking up to. Worth to mention that I believe the apartment is the only accommodation there with private bathroom, well to gain access to the bathroom you had to go onto a small landing that you have to share with the host, we didn't mind at all. You also get a kitchen area with the apartment, which is well equipped. Fossil bay is within walking distance to two beaches, only a few minutes walk, we walked to town down the beach at night which was a very nice walk. You should also do the Fossil Bay walk, which actually takes you to a bay called Fossil Bay, sorry, I'm really not trying to confuse you! Well the bay is gorgeous and well worth seeing. There was also another beautiful walk, I forgot what it was called, anyway think there was signs for it from the accommodation, you go past some up a little hill, past some vines and you reach a beautiful viewpoint! Maybe ask host about it if you fancy! Also I shall add, I left my shoes at Fossil Bay and the host was very helpful with sending those out to me ! :-)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneroa
Waiheke Island Resort
#3 of 6 in Oneroa
Enclosure Bay
Enclosure Bay
#1 of 6 in Oneroa

Been to Fossil Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!