“Very good and friendly”

Hekerua Lodge Backpackers
“Very good and friendly”
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

This backpacker is like to be in the middle of a little paradise. It's better to have a car or you like maybe to walk a lot, that we do. The beach is not far away and is really nice.
The room and everything else in common were clean and nice.
I only stay one night and I can tell that everybody and specially the staff were really nice and friendly.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2013

It's like tom (thomas, he is the owner) is sharing his home with us. Hekerua Lodge is the cleanest, most lovelyest hostel i have been in New zealand. The atmosphere is very familiar and its all about the different people coming together on the big table. You can sit down in the big backgarden and read a book, relax in the spa after a long day, sit infront oft the fireplce in a cold night... But there is also lots to see and to do on waiheke island. What are u waiting for??

Thank you tom for the best summer in my life. Glad i didn't stay just for one night ;) xx

Room Tip: Every room is very nice. It depends on what u want. Rimu 2 is the most expensive but also my favouri...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Nestling off the beaten track, it was a lovely place to stay for us during our trip to Waiheke island. It was clean, quiet, just like our home. The pool and jacuzzi were great to complete an exploring day. My friends and I all loved this hostel. Plus, "May Day" was a cute dog and quite famous!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here over the summer 2013 I found this place very friendly and welcoming. The staff are very helpful and will help you with you're your of the island. I loved it so much I stayed for a few months when I found work.
There is excellent facilities and a pool and spa which are good for those lazy days. Little oneroa beach is 5 minutes walk away and oneroa a local town 10 minutes walk.

Is a great place to meet plenty of people and meet new friends. There is also a camp ground where you can stay overall I would recommend this to any traveller or person wishing to stay for a few days

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I stayed in a double room.

This hostel has the potential to be really lovely - it is in a nice building and has a pool and a jacuzzi. When I arrived I thought it could end up being the nicest hostel I had stayed at in NZ. My room was clean and nicely decorated, the kitchen looked modern and no dirtier than the average hostel and there are sufficient and clean showers.

However, issues before I arrived and issues that I noticed whilst staying actually made this my least favourite hostel in NZ.

When booking: when I asked how to get to the hostel the woman on the phone just said "oh, get the bus, they'll tell you". No bus number, no timetable, no bus stop name. Found a pamphlet at the ferry terminal and followed the instructions, hostel is a bit off the beaten track.

When arriving: was partially shown around but not told much important information - like how to get to the town, or the beach. No information available anywhere about what there is to do on Waiheke. Perfectly pleasant and told to "ask if I needed anything" but didn't see her again until the next evening and, although there seemed to be a lot of long term guests, it wasn't clear who worked there. After three days I still had no idea.

Room: has no chetain, meaning that if anyone goes onto the balcony (open access to all) they can see into the room.

Shower: only worked for about 1 minute. Then a cold trickle.

Noise: other guests made a lot of noise (or the walls are thinner than other places). I'm tolerant of noise and it did not bother me in other hostels when sharing a dorm but this was late and excessive. For example, someone extremely drunk (unable to walk) was wandering arousing shouting at 1.30, bumped into my bedroom door heavily, then started shouting aggressiveky off the balcony and then started having a loud argument with his girlfriend outside my bedroom door, which was all a bit frightening.

General attitude: one of the long term guests random started to insult me (totally out of the blue insulting my looks, insulting my country and city and even telling me i was cooking onions wrong and turning up the heat of the hob I was using without asking me. Weird) others seemed to have formed a friendship group of long term guests. As a lone short term guest I felt unwelcome - there were nothing set up to join in with even though the hostel was busy. There is also a menacing attitude about washing dishes (signs saying you will be thrown out and a security camera saying it is watching that you do the dishes...). Someone had nonetheless put away a glass the smelt so strongly of ouzo you could smell it from about 2 meters away!

Wifi does not work. In addition to the irritation of having to use prepaid wifi (no free Internet provided here, not even a low value voucher like in most other hostels) the wifi signal is not strong enough to be able to make a Skype voice call. I was able to do this in all other hostels I stayed at.

There is a cat and dogs here. Although The cat is cute the dogs growled and bit and fought each other really near me ( almost on me) for about 30 minutes until I moved. Their owner (does he work here? No idea) said "stop that" a couple of times but didn't actually stop them.

This place could be great if it was run professionally but seems to be designed for long term and really heavy drinking guests only.

If I was coming with a large group then it might be fun with the pool etc. but I would not return here alone or as a couple.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank rtwopinion
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 March 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 1 night and was satisfied with the lodge. Our twin room was upstairs and was small, clean, and comfortable. Bathrooms were just down the hall and were clean enough. Pretty much a typical backpacker with friendly staff. Some of the common areas were not very clean, but not unexpected for a typical backpacker. It is off the beaten path and a little difficult to find, but the wooded location is calm and relaxing. Has its own pool as well. I found it difficult to find a place on Waheke that would take a reservation for just one night, but this place did. No regrets staying there and would recommend it for a reasonably priced place to stay in Waheke.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 February 2013

It would be hard to find a better place to stay on Waiheke Island.
Tom and his crew of helpers are a fantastic friendly team, I also have to mention that it is rare to find somebody like "Tom" who is so passionate about providing and environment for both the family and the lonely traveler looking for some friends.

The Pool and spa area is just amazing and helps get the sand out of your ears gathered from the beach not even 5 minutes away.

All my best memory's of my stay on Waiheke happened at Hekerua Lodge and with the people I meet there, during my stay I would of seen 80 percent of travelers change there plans to stay longer.

In terms of cleaning........... spotless! and the beds and cotton soft sheets are lovely :-)

Enojoy!
By far the best place on Waiheke........ TY Tom

Room Tip: Rimu 2 with the ensuit
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deconorca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneroa
Waiheke Island Resort
#7 of 28 in Waiheke Island
Enclosure Bay
Enclosure Bay
#1 of 6 in Oneroa

Been to Hekerua Lodge Backpackers? Share your experiences!