“Pooly handled and values don't align”

Mudbrick Vineyard & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Oneroa
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Business meetings, View, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mudbrick is world-renowned for its superb restaurant and award-winning wines. With its spectacular sea views, French potager gardens and hand-hewn mud-brick buildings, the setting is "A must-see when visiting Auckland" (New York Times).
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Expensive and therefore I expect A1 Service and A1 meals. Didn't get anywhere near there. Chicken meal was RAW and returned "twice" for cooking. Chief wasn't really interested.
3 fish meals were ordered and served as Snapper but was really King Fish. Manager acknowledge that after we paid. Fish meals were served on cold plates - hence meals was luke warm.
Complaint wasn't taken seriously at cashier. While we were complaining another party was complaining at the same time. (doesn't say a lot) Night Lighting up footpath is poor. Light signage out front is poor.
Value for money - no - not that day.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,525)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Food, location, service- all excellent. And of course the wine!
Set on a hill with a lovely view in a manicured garden, we were hungry after having walked (the wrong way) from the other side of the island. But it was worth it.

1  Thank Skimum123
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For the past 4 years we've dined at Mudbrick with friends to celebrate a birthday... always on a winter's evening, when the open fire is roaring and the gas heaters make the restaurant nice and cosy.
What I love about Mudbrick is (a) it's amazing setting... it's just gorgeous, there's nothing else like it. And (b) the food is consistently excellent. You just know it's going to be great, and our visit this weekend was no exception. Everything from the natural oysters I had as a starter, the fish of the day, through to desert (and the wine) was delicious.
My only little niggle was the service. Mudbrick presents itself as a fine dining restaurant, so you think you'd get silver service-trained wait staff. I was quite surprised when the waiter poured my friend's wine from her left side (she was sat opposite me) and the waiter then leaned over the table to pour my wine, rather than walking around. He then poured the mens' drinks from the end of the table, both from the same location rather than pouring from the right. The waiter was equally random when bringing the food and clearing plates. Indeed, that's the one thing that isn't consistent at Mudbrick - the service. They seem to have a lot of overseas people working there as wait staff, possibly for a short time (i.e. high staff turnover), so the service can be very variable.
But at least the food and ambience is always excellent!
In terms of value, it is quite expensive for a New Zealand restaurant (the main courses were priced at NZ$42-49), but the food is always delicious, fresh, and cooked with great skill, and it's worth paying that for a special treat and great food.
PS. The Mudbrick Bistro is also excellent... I was lucky enough to come here twice last summer and sit outside on the terrace, enjoying a platter, the wine, and the amazing views. This place is just outstanding at any time of year.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

What can I say???
Fantastic View!
The freshest local Produces and Ingredients !
Great very helpful Service:)
Great own Wines!
Very Good Value for having a happy time in Paradise!
Just simply the Best:)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I'm in my early 60's so have had a few steaks in my life, but none as good as I had at Mudbrick Café (or I se it's named Mudbrick Vineyard Restaurant now). I went to Waiheke Island for lunch with a couple of mates and I decided to have steak. I eat my steak well done and I always say it takes a good Chef to cook a great well-done steak. Well the Chef must be brilliant, because my steak was. The steak came with Black Pudding Dumplings of all things and they were 'interesting'. As for the mash, god I'd have that just on it's own. It was so good.

My mates were equally impressed. One had steak as well and the other had the lamb. The guy who had the lamb thoroughly enjoyed it, but did say after all our raving about the steak, he wish he'd had that too. This only means we'll have to go back.

Everything else was great too. The French waitress, the Mudbrick Syrah all added up to a fantastic meal/day. You must go!