“Not bad, could use some improvement”

Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Greater Cleveland
“Not bad, could use some improvement”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The rooms here were pretty nice looking, although I had a deluxe room. The hot tub needs a good scrubbing as it looks kind of grimy. The pool had some mysterious white substance floating on the surface the whole time I stayed there so we didn't even use the pool, which was quite sad. The workout facility is decent. As with most Hyatt properties, the dining was par to sub-par. Some of the offerings were ok. Service was terrible. It is kind of confusing to find, you have to park where the other airport parking is. Yes, they do not have free Wi-fi. That is the same for all Hyatt Regency and more upscale Hyatt properties. It is not unique to this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris P, Manager at Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Good day ClevelandBeachBoy, thank you for being our guest, and for your comments on our workout facility. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some issues with the hot tub and pool, please note that these areas are deep cleaned professionally on a scheduled basis, and the water is tested daily for proper chemical balance. I assure you we will address your concerns immediately with our facility maintenance department. We hope to see you again in the future, if there is ever anything I can do for you please let me know. Have a great day.

Christopher.Palid@hyatt.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Wausau
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Nice place, but there is no free parking. Know that if you are renting a car. Staff is very nice and hotel is clean. Better than average for an airport hotel. It has a mini Starbucks too. I did not try any of the dining options.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

We appreciate your positive feedback on our services and property, and are glad you chose us for your business trip. Unfortunately we do not own or operate any of the parking, but we do have business packages that include parking, wireless internet, and local and long distance phone calls all for a deep discount. Please let me know if you would like any additional information on this. Thank you again for being our guest, we hope to see you again soon.

York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Terrible experience.
My family and I stayed here during a hockey tournament. There were four of us ( Myself, Wife, and two kids). Room was not clean. Constantly had to call for more towels/ wash cloths. Never did refill in room coffee. Not enough glasses/ cups in bathroom to brush teeth with. The front desk did send up more, when we called down. However, there we stood waiting to get our showers, or brush our teeth.
TV did not work.
This place is COMPLETELY NOT kid friendly. We inquired about an empty conference room for the kids to play in. The room was not in use. We were told that it would be a $190 charge. Instead, security preferred to give us the evil eye every night. If this hotel wants to book large groups of student sports teams (20 families), they need to work with the teams.
Parking attendants were rude! They insulted several of our group. We do not use their parking system on a daily basis. All they needed to do is be nice and tell us how to use their system, and we would have been just fine. Instead we got eye rolling, insults, and a general sense of disgust from the attendants when they had to do something.

I spoke to the manager. He was apologetic. That doesn't improve our stay.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Good day Devilsu1024,

I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience while staying with us during a youth hockey tournament. We do try to adapt when hockey hosting teams to offer the most family friendly environment possible. We added more kid-friendly options to our restaurant menu, lowered the pricing for buffets, and added additional towels and toiletries into all of the guestrooms. I am very sorry that you, and several of the members of your group, experienced issues with the parking attendants at the airport. The hotel does not own or operate any of the parking due to our location on the airport grounds, but clearly this is unacceptable and not the first or last impression that we are trying to leave on our guests. I assure you I will address this with the airport authority parking management.

If you could please contact me at your earliest convenience, I would like to get some additional information for you, and to try to do something for you, either now or on an upcoming visit. I can be reached by email, or at the number listed below. Thank you for your time.

724-899-6141
Chicago Illinois
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I had to stay here for work for six weeks in the summer with seven co-workers all with our own rooms. I checked out each week for one night and re-checked back in the next day for six weeks and had six differant rooms over that time.
To start with the rooms are big and nice ,the carpet and the look are high quality. The beds were just average in comfort and I mean all of them . They were not bad but not great either.The bathrooms had good water pressure and looked nice no isue with the bathrooms. The lobby and the outside and the hallways all nice.
The problem with this hotel is the front desk.They were not very nice for the first few weeks and I dont know why. Only after a complaint to the GM did they seem to be better but in a fake sort of way. They seemed to toy with us just to make us feel un-welcome why I dont know. The favorite word for the front desk was NO . And every week they would xcle my reservation when I would come back it was always a problem. So many things too many really to tell as I would need a book to write.
On a high note breakfast was good!
I ended up with 8,000 bonus points from the GM due to all of these issues. Even after reaching Platinum with Hyatt they still were bad .
Bottom line it doesnt feel nice to feel unconfortable in any hotel. This one made me feel this way for six weeks all cause the staff !
On another high note the shuttle drivers/ bell men were very nice and a joy to talk to. The rest of them should learn from this.
Oh and the rooms are loud lots of hallway noise
Stay at another PIT airport area hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Good day KHMChicago,

We appreciate your business and certainly understand that your visit of 6 consecutive weeks is not ideal, and that amount of time away from home is not always pleasant. We made every effort to accommodate your team in every way without taking services away from the rest of our guests. I will certainly review your concerns with the staff and leadership team at the hotel. The bonus 8,000 Gold Passport points awarded to you is the equivalent of one complimentary night, either at this property or a similar sized Hyatt. If you do plan on returning to Pittsburgh, either for business or pleasure, please let me know, I would be happy to personally assist with your reservation and offer my assistance in any way possible. Have a great day.

charlotte
Reviewed 11 October 2013

From check-in with Dustin and Megan to breakfast the service was impeccable. Not something one would expect at an airport property. The hotel has a modern and up to date feel to it. The beds are very comfortable and come with more pillows than a small family needs. The rooms are large and didn't hear one plane (that's huge). Internet was fast enough to work and large workspace for computer and other items you need to lay out. The bathrooms are a bit dated and small, but function well. The breakfast staff was 5 star. The buffet to price ratio is a bit off. I believe it was $20 for breakfast. Worth around $8. I would recommend eating at the airport....cheaper and just as good. Not being rude, but bacon was soggy and eggs boasted cage free, but tasted a bit more like powdered eggs. It's worth the stay if you need to crash for a day or two.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
We really appreciate your great comments about our team members Dustin and Megan and about the staff in the restaurant during breakfast. I am glad to hear your family enjoyed the spacious rooms, and we appreciate your feedback on the hotel’s modern design. I will certainly share your notes about the breakfast buffet with the Director of Food and Beverage, but please do know that we also offer a full menu in addition to the buffet. We hope to see you on your next visit to Pittsburgh – thanks again!

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 9 October 2013

So the Hyatt Regency came up super cheap on an online offer so it was really hard to pass up for my trip to PGH. More problematically, I was filing for a hotel late for Labor Day weekend so all the inexpensive candidates were booked solid. Super cheap for a great hotel with all the amenities. We are good to go... not quite.

Well, I realized why it was super inexpensive. The location, at the airport, is only convenient if you're flying out of Pittsburgh. Otherwise, it is as far from civilization as you can get. It is IN the airport, so there's also very limited parking. If you plan on going in and out of the hotel, you are out of luck. Cheapest parking is long term parking at $8 a pop max per day... but if you leave and come back, the timer for parking resets because of how it's set up.

Parking racked up something like $40 for one night and I had to seriously curtail my exploration time because of the parking situation.

Also. No free Wifi. They nickel and dime you to death here. Aquafina (not high end artesian water) will cost you $3 for a mini bottle so pack your own. At least they're apologetic about parking, but considering what the real room rates are, I don't understand why they make you pay for wifi. It's too far for people at the airport to poach. It's just a silly thing to charge in the modern world.

The hotel is a little old. It needs a good refacing in a few years. But otherwise, it has pretty much all the bells and whistles. A great pool, a decent fitness room, and pretty much all the quality amenities you expect from a Hyatt Regency.

I can't ding them for the parking too much, but I will ding them on wifi.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Good day HJW2,

We appreciate your detailed review and your business. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with parking, for future reference we do offer a complimentary shuttle if you would prefer to keep your car parked. Also we offer VIP parking on our front drive with unlimited in-and-out privileges for a $25 fee that can be charged to your guestroom. Unfortunately we don’t offer complimentary Wi-Fi, but we do offer it deeply discounted in our room packages, which can also include breakfast and meal credits. If you plan on returning to the area please reach out to me in advance, I would be happy to assist you with the reservation so you have the best rate possible that includes the services you want.

Thank you again for being our guest, and for your great comments on our fitness center and pool. Have a great day.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I live in the Pittsburgh area but often stay at this hotel when I have a very early morning flight. The location is literally inside the entrance to the airport terminal so you can't get to your gate any quicker. The rooms are decorated nicely and are very comfortable, and surprisingly quiet. It has a great swimming pool and exercise room. Good conference facilities. And it has an excellent restaurant. A great find in an airport setting.

Room Tip: hallways are long. Ask to be closer to elevator than further away if you have a lot of luggage.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michele K
Chris P, Manager at Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for being our guest Mak298, and for taking time to review our property. We appreciate your business and are pleased to hear that you take advantage of our location for early morning flights. Please note that we offer discounted “Park-and-Fly” packages with deeply discounted parking at the airport. If you ever need anything on a future visit please let me know. Thank you again for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Findlay Township
Courtyard Pittsburgh Airport
Courtyard Pittsburgh Airport
#2 of 12 in Coraopolis
Hyatt Place Pittsburgh/Airport

Been to Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport? Share your experiences!