“Beautiful property not in expected location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chateau de Palaja

Chateau de Palaja
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Palaja
leicetershire
“Beautiful property not in expected location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Ok the positives - this is a lovingly restored property. Attention has been paid to detail retaining the old whilst providing spacious luxurious accommodation with all the discerning modern traveller demands. A warm welcome and friendly staff. However, and there was a big however for me. I booked the chateau as a single female traveller with no intention of hiring a car escaping to carcassonne for a few days in the heart of the cite. The description I read of the chateau stated "five minutes from the medieval cite of carcassonne" so as the number one recommendation on tripadvisor I thought i had found the perfect base for my short holiday. I was wrong. The chateau is actually in palaja about seven to ten kilometres from the cite. On the first day I was determined to over overcome the disappointment of being so far out and hired a bike - for me it was a hard 30 plus minutes ride to carcassonne - I'd been promised a location five minutes away! On the return cycle I approached Catherine remy the proprietor and voiced my concerns she was genuinely upset that I was not content with the location of the chateau but pointed out that I had booked 3 nights and that was what I would pay for, she kindly offered to find me another closer hotel and suggested otherwise I take taxis. This was not what I wanted, I wanted the promised location close to the cite. To sum up some websites mention "five minutes drive" from the cite the hotels website I looked on for guidance only stated "five minutes from the cite". I had a rather heated discussion with Catherine remy when I checked out the next day losing two nights accommodation and costs having also paying for two nights at the montmorency a stones throw from the walled town. Catherine did say if she managed to re sell my room she would reimburse me but quite frankly this was a poor consolation and I have not heard yet. The taxi driver who took me to the airport for my return to the uk from palaja itself told me my story is not uncommon and was appalled that I still had to pay for accommodation which had been in effect missold from my comprehension from the description on the hotels website. To sum up a lovely chateau luxury accommodation (no room service or restaurant for dinner although restaurant next door which was closed when i was there) not many other dining options nearby. If you are looking for a peaceful location perhaps touring with a car it is ideal, however as a single traveller on foot it was a total mismatch.

Room Tip: My room was a lovely room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank visitorLeics

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a very special place. A beautifully restored chateau, set in a gorgeous village, and surrounded by lovely gardens, the Chateau de Palaja is a real gem. Breakfast in the garden was a treat, our room was very nicely appointed, and the owners and staff were so friendly and helpful. We hired bikes from the hotel and cycled to the Old City and along the Canal du Midi during our visit. The staff at the hotel made sure the bikes were in good nick--well oiled, etc--before they passed them on to us, so there were no surprises on our days out. We would love to return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anon554
Bainbridge Island, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

This restored chateau is a great place to stay if you are in the area. The owner is very concerned for your comfort. She showed us two rooms and we picked one on the top floor because there were several families with children staying the night we were there. We thought the room on the second floor was nicer, but we were hoping for a quiet room. Turns out the bed was so comfy and the room was so quiet we overslept. Breakfast was great and a good value. Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Ask the woman who owns it. She really helped us.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This is a wonderfully restored building in the middle of some breathtaking countryside and a lovely quaint town just 5 mins from Carcassonne. Owners were really friendly and helpful, just a shame we had only booked the one night. Would definitely recommend this place...

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Hopkid
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Rooms are gigantic. The whole experience was awesome. An "hacienda/chateaux" with all the carccassonne flavor. The place is owned by an incredibly nice couple that personally take care of you and really make you feel at home. We arrived very late at night and they were waiting for us to welcome us. This is a truly full Carcassonne experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank othon p
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Highly recommended: we stayed in a great family room - perfect for a family of four. The setting was lovely and the hotel is convenient for Carcassonne (great alternative to staying in the centre, especially if you have a car).

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Limoges, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Arrived with a party of cyclists to the warmest of welcomes. Free safe parking was particularly appreciated and a relaxing drink in the beautiful grounds before settling in to exceptional accommodation was wonderful. We all enjoyed an evening meal of outstanding quality before retiring for an uninterrupted nights sleep. We were sent on our way after a substantial breakfast all agreeing to return. If you are visiting Carcassonne, this is the place to stay, located away from noise and traffic but convenient for all there is to see. A truly beautiful setting and friendly English speaking staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Francotel_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palaja
Hotel de la Cite Carcassonne - MGallery Collection
#3 of 39 in Carcassonne
Le Domaine d'Auriac
Le Domaine d'Auriac
#7 of 39 in Carcassonne

Been to Chateau de Palaja? Share your experiences!