“Relax in comfort”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Palaja
Oakham, United Kingdom
“Relax in comfort”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

A haven of peace and tranquility, we stayed here for two nights and could happily have stayed longer. This small chateau has been tastefully renovated by the owners and has two separate gardens, a shady area for al fresco breakfasts, chairs for lounging, a swimming pool and a very good restaurant right next door, (reviewed separately). Inside on the ground floor are three public rooms, the reception, breakfast room with tea/coffee making facilities available 24/7, and library/sitting room. The bedrooms are on the first and second floors accessed by a curved stone staircase, no lift. Although modern, the furniture incorporates old wood which gives a feeling of continuity with the building. Our room was on the first floor overlooking the lawn; as the road is lower than the chateau it is very quiet here. The room has a shower and a separate, compact wc. Although close to Carcassonne, the village feels many miles away. I believe there is a pizzeria in the village so it may be possible to spend the whole day here just soaking up the atmosphere.

Room Tip: All are furnished to a very good standard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
swansea
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights in July & would thoroughly recommend it
The rooms are excellent as are the grounds where you can enjoy the fantastic breakfast
It's a great place to base yourself for Carcassonne as it's only 10 mins away & is an oasis of calm after the hustle of the walled town, you can chill out in the garden with a bottle of rose' or use the secluded pool
The owner is great, she' s fluent in English & is always at hand to help/advise
Rooms are great with clean cotton sheets every day & excellent bathroom

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank geoffswansea
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We recently spent 5 nights at the Chateau. It is a beautiful place, exceptionally clean, comfortable and with modern decor throughout.
Despite the place being full,and residents constantly coming and going, we found our room, on the top floor , to be very peaceful and quiet.
We were warmly welcomed and the owner was constantly on hand to help any residents who required assistance.
When we booked, we understood that that the chateau is 5 mins drive from Carcassonne. This is clearly stated in all information about the Chateau. It is in a beautiful setting that would not be possible nearer to 'la cite'. Having explored the surrounding area,I can guarantee you would not find a nicer area unless you are inside the city walls ( some of the newer city is a bit grotty.) If you want easy waking access, then stay in the 2 hotels within the walls, but be prepared to pay a lot more money !
We would highly recommend the Chateau. It's a great place to spend a few days.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Oopsmyparty
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 night 'pre-gite' stay and wished we could have stayed a bit longer. The owners have done an immaculate job restoring such a beautiful building. They were extremely helpful and welcoming during our stay. We would highly recommend this peaceful and luxurious escape. The restaurant next door is amazing too - probably one of the best meals out I've had.

• Stayed July 2014
leicetershire
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Ok the positives - this is a lovingly restored property. Attention has been paid to detail retaining the old whilst providing spacious luxurious accommodation with all the discerning modern traveller demands. A warm welcome and friendly staff. However, and there was a big however for me. I booked the chateau as a single female traveller with no intention of hiring a car escaping to carcassonne for a few days in the heart of the cite. The description I read of the chateau stated "five minutes from the medieval cite of carcassonne" so as the number one recommendation on tripadvisor I thought i had found the perfect base for my short holiday. I was wrong. The chateau is actually in palaja about seven to ten kilometres from the cite. On the first day I was determined to over overcome the disappointment of being so far out and hired a bike - for me it was a hard 30 plus minutes ride to carcassonne - I'd been promised a location five minutes away! On the return cycle I approached Catherine remy the proprietor and voiced my concerns she was genuinely upset that I was not content with the location of the chateau but pointed out that I had booked 3 nights and that was what I would pay for, she kindly offered to find me another closer hotel and suggested otherwise I take taxis. This was not what I wanted, I wanted the promised location close to the cite. To sum up some websites mention "five minutes drive" from the cite the hotels website I looked on for guidance only stated "five minutes from the cite". I had a rather heated discussion with Catherine remy when I checked out the next day losing two nights accommodation and costs having also paying for two nights at the montmorency a stones throw from the walled town. Catherine did say if she managed to re sell my room she would reimburse me but quite frankly this was a poor consolation and I have not heard yet. The taxi driver who took me to the airport for my return to the uk from palaja itself told me my story is not uncommon and was appalled that I still had to pay for accommodation which had been in effect missold from my comprehension from the description on the hotels website. To sum up a lovely chateau luxury accommodation (no room service or restaurant for dinner although restaurant next door which was closed when i was there) not many other dining options nearby. If you are looking for a peaceful location perhaps touring with a car it is ideal, however as a single traveller on foot it was a total mismatch.

Room Tip: My room was a lovely room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank visitorLeics
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a very special place. A beautifully restored chateau, set in a gorgeous village, and surrounded by lovely gardens, the Chateau de Palaja is a real gem. Breakfast in the garden was a treat, our room was very nicely appointed, and the owners and staff were so friendly and helpful. We hired bikes from the hotel and cycled to the Old City and along the Canal du Midi during our visit. The staff at the hotel made sure the bikes were in good nick--well oiled, etc--before they passed them on to us, so there were no surprises on our days out. We would love to return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anon554
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This restored chateau is a great place to stay if you are in the area. The owner is very concerned for your comfort. She showed us two rooms and we picked one on the top floor because there were several families with children staying the night we were there. We thought the room on the second floor was nicer, but we were hoping for a quiet room. Turns out the bed was so comfy and the room was so quiet we overslept. Breakfast was great and a good value. Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Ask the woman who owns it. She really helped us.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palaja
Hotel La Bastide Saint Martin
Chateau des Ducs de Joyeuse
Hotel du Chateau
Hotel du Chateau
#4 of 39 in Carcassonne

Been to Chateau de Palaja? Share your experiences!