“A fantastic getaway!!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Souvala
Dallas, TX
“A fantastic getaway!!”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My husband and I, along with another couple, spent 2 nights at Irides Luxury Studios this month. It was the final two nights of a 13-day trip which included a 7-day cruise of Greek island hopping and Turkey at the beginning along with 2 nights in Athens prior to arriving. We were worn out from site seeing and traveling and were hoping that Irides would be a nice place to relax and recharge before heading home and back to the real world. I was also particularly wanting a reasonably priced place with a sea-view and clear waters along the shore. I am pleased to report that it was everything that we had hoped for and more!

First off, the hotel owners, Andreas and Dimitra were extremely welcoming. The view of the sea from the beautifully done pool / patio area was instantly soothing and very inviting. The rooms were comfortable with small kitchenettes and nice covered balconies with table and chairs overlooking the sea. I believe that both couples were given room upgrades since it was still off-season and during the week, and not many rooms appeared to be occupied (an additional bonus!). The bathroom had a built-in hair dryer, but I will admit that the shower stall was quite small which was fine for me but I thought might be more of a problem for my stout husband. He managed just fine though.

I was a little concerned that the sea-water quality off Aegina Island might not be that great since it was closer to the mainland (unlike the beautiful waters of the Cyclades which are further out). I was VERY pleased to see that while it was a little murky in the port areas, it was very clear off the quiet shores at Irides. It's a rocky beach there so probably not the best if you have small children, but their pool is really lovely if that's not your type of beach. And there are some sandy beaches on other parts of the island, a particularly large and safe one at Agia Marina (about a 10 minute taxi ride from Irides), but the water there at Agia Marina was murkier along the shore line since the sand would wash up into the waves. It was clearer a little ways out. Definitely bring water shoes to more comfortably enter the waters at Irides -- there are a few areas where you can enter pretty easily barefoot (some sea urchins can be encountered in the rockier patches... ask and they will point those out to you). We enjoy snorkeling so had brought some goggles and a snorkel along. The waters provided some rocky areas to explore small marine life and once you swam out about 10 feet, there were large sandy patches of crystal clear waters. I was very pleased with the waters there---and I'm pretty picky about the type of sea water that I'll swim in since I have an irrational fear of murky sea/ocean/lake waters thanks to watching the movie Jaws at an impressionable age.

Again, with regard to the hotel itself, they had great service and served a pleasant little breakfast to us when we came down to the shaded/breezy patio overlooking the shore in the mornings. They have a small snack bar serving drinks and pizza and toasted sandwiches for lunch or mid-meal bites. There is a nice little supermarket within a 5 minute walk from the hotel to get whatever sundries you might want to make use of the kitchenette which had glasses, serving ware, plates, cutting boards, a fridge with a small freezer, etc.

The little town of Souvala was around a 25 minute walk along the shoreline from Irides and has about 10 little restaurants/bars/cafes to choose from. The food was pretty good at the two places we tried---I can't remember their names though. There was a nice little bakery on the west end of the strip which had some great baklava! We also took a taxi in to Agia Marina one evening for dinner since I had read here on TA that Pita Tom was a good place to get a gyro and I was wanting some pita and tzatziki. We all liked it a LOT! Lots more shops and restaurants to choose from in Agia Marina. Be sure to arrange for the taxi driver to come back and pick you up later that evening to take you back to Irides... not as many taxis were readily available from that town...round trip was around 25 or 30 Euros. We only spent a few hours in Aegina Town when we went back to catch the Flying Dolphin back to Piraeus (Athens). It's definitely the larger town and was very pretty... lots more restaurants and shops there. The beaches away from the port area seemed to be pretty nice there as well. Lots more people though. Many Athenians make weekend trips out to Aegina and since we arrived on Sunday with several people who came out for the day, we had to wait over a half hour to get a taxi at the taxi stand. There just weren't that many available. In hind site, we should have looked into either taking the ferry to Souvala (where the hotel owners would have picked us up) or better yet, renting a car (since we could have split it with our friends and had easier access for further exploring the island... but our main goal was to relax so we were perfectly fine without it). The taxi ride from Aegina Town to Irides was around 20 minutes and cost around 15 or 20 Euros.

Overall, I LOVED our stay at Irides and would definitely return!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TripHappy22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We stayed at this wonderful, quaint hotel for one night April 20th, but wished we could have stayed for a week. Our nice room had a balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean. The room was large and clean, the softness of the bedding and pillows were absolutely to die for, and the grounds were well kept. The family that runs this hotel are an absolute delight. They secured a rental car for us in the port when our ferry arrived and even served us an early breakfast so we could catch the ferry back to Athens. The pool was clean and inviting, even though it was still a little too cool for us to jump in, others were using the pool the day that we arrived. They have a small bar and covered dining area next to the pool overlooking the ocean.It was nice to sit there the morning of our departure eating breakfast while looking out over the ocean to Athens. I am definitely staying here on my next trip to the Greek Islands.

Room Tip: Talk to the owners by email, they are very helpful
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BubbleDaisy
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 April 2011

When I first came to Irides it was like a dream a beautiful view a nice swimming pool nice people and a volleybal field.
That time it was in the summer and after we left we really wanted to go back once more.
So after a few months we went back again this time in april-march the first day there was allot of wind wich I didn't care about so much but then when we started looking around we saw that the swimmingpool had no water in it th volleybal field stood full of weeds and in the room we stayed in had a tv that didn't work the toilet only flushed after 3 try's and there is no internet on the room wich the site said there was.
Yet they still ask 60 euro's!!! in the summer this place is a paradise but I higly discourage
to go here at any other time of the year because then this place is nothing more then a rip off.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Mysteryion
spirus, Owner at Irides Luxury Studios, responded to this review, 27 April 2011
Dear Guest, we have read with great concern your comments following your recent stay at Irides Studios and are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We very much regret this. As an explanataion, not an excuse, we would like to say that an open air swimming pool next to the sea is an extremly dificult job to keep clean. Our main concern for our guests-friends is to keep them happy and that is the case by the majority of them, as we have the plesure with the most of them to welcome every year. The weather conditions that spring were not optional to open the swimming pool(rain, wind, dust) or to have the beachvolleyball court ready, which is every year a meeting point from the beggining of the summer.
However we certainly hope this experience won't deter you from staying with us in the future, when we hope to be able to provide you again the real hospitality we offer.
Thank you for these comments.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We stayed at the hotel for a weekend. This family owned hotel was very clean, quite, and the people running the business extremely friendly. They make you feel like at home. The view from the hotel is breathtaking. I would definitely go back. Price is very reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johns94
Philadelphia
Reviewed 29 March 2011

" I was very glad I found Hotel Irides when I visited the island of Aegina, during a 5 day holiday break. Located 40 min from Piraeus, this resort combines all the excellent qualities one seeks for in a hotel. I stayed in a great spacious room equipped with many amenities. The room was very clean and the service of the Petritis' family exceptional. I spent some time at the hotel's pool, which was absolutely "majestic". Having the opportunity to swim and have the breathtaking view of the Aegean and Pireaus right in front of me, was an unforgettable memory. The owners were very helpful in assisting us find a rental car, and the best nearby restaurants. The beach in front of the hotel is quiet and beautiful, and there are several amazing beaches in close proximity. The word "philoxenia" is a Greek word, and I would like to say that I found the true meaning of it at Irides Studios! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who visits Athens or the island of Aegina.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank EliasTzele
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I spend alot of time in Aigina, and whenever I get a chance I like to visit Irides. It is one of the absolute best spots on the island! The calm, beautiful environment, the friendly spirit and the sea right there... It's a combination you can't beat. I would recommend it to anybody looking for a relaxing vacation!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peckelalis
Durham
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Fantastic place run by Fantastic people.
The place is absolutely lovely for a nice relaxing holidays.
Great location and facilities, one of the most relaxing holidays iv ever had.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank joseovertheworld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Souvala
Vagia Hotel
Apollo Hotel
#2 of 29 in Agia Marina
Xanthippi Hotel Apartments
Marini Luxury Apartments and Suites

Been to Irides Luxury Studios? Share your experiences!