“Had lunch and a good chat”
Review of Hotel Boca Brava

Hotel Boca Brava
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We took the water taxi over to check out the island, do some hiking, have some lunch, etc... and we had a great visit. The views are amazing and there’s a little area where guests can just kick back in hammocks, enjoying the breeze. Chatted with the owner for a bit, he's very funny and knowledgeable, and then headed off on our trek. When we got back, had a beer and a bite to eat, perfect end to our afternoon.
We didn't stay at the hotel; I've gotten old and spoiled enough that I like my high thread count and room service so knew when we were planning our trip that Hotel Boca Brava would not be for me. I was totally charmed by the people, the location and the vibe. If you're looking for a rustic island experience with a Margaritaville feel I'd say try Hotel Boca Brava for sure – I’m sure you’ll love it.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Boca Brava

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stopped here a day prior during a beach outing and did not notice anything unpleasant. The restaurant and bar is in outside setting and was comfortable. The food was good. Not well kept but prices are good. The room was not clean but the bed comfortable. The beach is not great but you can get boats out to other beaches or kayaking available. The plants and maintenance of hotel is poor. There are many steps up to the hotel so I would not bring a lot of luggage. They were not a problem for us.I would not stay here again.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

This was not what we were expecting. Our room was very dirty, the ceiling was falling down in our room, we walked in and the floor was covered in rodent feces. I know we didn't pay much but I would expect some cleanliness. At times there was no water and when there was it was cold only, no hot showers. Great if you are looking for a hostel I suppose but not good if you are looking to enjoy the room as well as the Island. Service was very slow but everyone was realitively nice. Get your own menu if you want to eat and be very patient. Depends on what you want, beaches nearby were nice and easy to get to. Hiking was good and got to see a lot of monkeys. I would suggest staying some where else and boating to this island.

3  Thank Karmin B
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My first impression when arriving at this resort was that it was beautiful... the breeze flows through the restaurant and communal area swinging the hammocks. The view is gorgeous. I was somewhat disappointed that there was no beach to speak of at the Hotel but we did walk to one which wasn't too far off but it was nothing special.

We stayed in a Private double. 2 beds on a step... gorgeous looking room, spacious... great views. Shared bathrooms, cold shower but it was a pleasant cold - not icy. No plumbing problems that I saw. There were ants in the room which did crawl on me from time to time but not a big deal. Dead palm tree fronds kept us up by swishing loudly on the tin roof but we kept forgetting to mention it so it's our fault... I'm sure they would have trimmed it if we'd have asked.

The restaurant was OK but very inconsistent. It's your only option so get used to it. That dish you ordered and loved yesterday will be totally different today. Water is horribly overpriced so bring as much as you can with you. I got a very upset stomach from here as did everyone who we met at that time as well as the 3 other people we encountered who had recently been there. Now, upset stomach is par for the course in Panama but this was a lot of people.

Don't do your laundry here.... clothing was scalded with irons, underwear was ruined (lacy parts destroyed by heat!) We paid $13 just to have to throw away A LOT of clothing!

We did the snorkel tour... first beach - beautiful. Second beach they took us to was over run with tourists from a cruise ship and there was human feces everywhere in the bushes. So repulsive... piles of toilet paper and we trekked through it in order to find the pristine beach on the other side... only to have to come back the same way where some lovely tourist had made a deposit right in the middle of the path in our absence. Surely there's another beach they could take you to?

The positive: wildlife - birds, monkeys etc. The rooms... even the dorm was cool looking. The location - remote but pristine. The owner was a nice guy and the food got worse after he left to go to his other place. Service... their English was limited but they were really trying hard...

Room Tip: A pleasant room for every budget. Take water and snacks... eat carefully and do your own laundry!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We showed up in Boca Chica with no idea where we were going to stay. We made no reservations anywhere for our 7 day cross country road trip. We drove 7 hours from Panama City as this was our first stop before we followed the pacific coast line back to Panama City. We were greeted by Captain Jack Sparrow - no kidding that is what he told us his name was - and we asked where a good place to stay was - he suggested Hotel Boca Brava - and he would happily take us there in his boat. We parked in the yard near by of one of his "crew" for a couple of bucks (crazy I know) then ventured into the boat with the captain and two others - they were hilarious if a little intoxicated - but when we got to the hotel - they carried our bags up the steep stairs and then hung our for an hour or so chatting with my husband and I and having a few beers - which we paid for. LOL The room was adequate for the money. Air worked, shower worked, etc. The restaurant was good. The owners were freindly. All in all a memorable stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I don´t know why some people fuss about this place... I had a great stay. I stayed in the basic room, very clean, great beds and the view when you opened the door... fantastic! And all that for next to nothing. Can´t say anything about reservations because we just rocked up.
Restaurant, bar etc. all in the open, they did speak English, the food was not gourmet but good and the ambience great! I recommend!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2013

It's a shame that some people were less than impressed; I found the on-line booking service to be efficient and had no nasty surprises on arrival. Without being exceptional, Room 2 was comfortable and clean. The wildlife was on song at dawn to get me up for the sunrise.

In the restuarant, there is an excellent choice of music, mostly traditional salsa and bossa nova, including a number by a female singer with an intro sounding bizarrely like the riff from "Smoke on the Water". A bottle of Cerveza Panama to anyone who can tell me what the Brazilian song is!

The boat trip is well worth the money. The beaches on the small islands are nicer than those within walking distance on the main island, but those are worth visiting as well. The forest abounds with animal and bird life.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
The Resort at Isla Palenque
Residencia De La Marina
Residencia De La Marina
#1 of 2 in Boca Chica

Been to Hotel Boca Brava? Share your experiences!