“Great relax weekend”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rincon
Puerto Rico
“Great relax weekend”
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed a weekend in Lazzy Parrot, and it was great. The rooms are very clean and the bed is very comfortable. The staff is very attentive, if you do not know the area offers a map and directions to places or restaurants according to your interest. The food at the restaurant was great, we ate meat and fish and really surprised us the quality and taste. The selection of wines can be improved. The waffles includes in breakfast are delicious. Definitely back.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 7 April 2010

We stayed here in October of 2008. The weather was great during October and we were able to enjoy the outdoor pool. the place itself was pretty empty (which was a good thing, since we were looking for a getaway).
The rooms were clean, and pretty big and comfortable. The air conditioning was an individual unit for the room and worked well. The bed was comfortable as well. The room did have a small fridge, large enough to hold some picnic items and drinks.
Since we were here in the off season, we had a room on the top floor facing the ocean. All I can say is that the sunsets were incredible.
The one 'drawback' is that the beach is not really within walking distance. Walking to the beach is downhill, on a street without sidewalks. And I am not sure if it was just my experience, but cars in Puerto Rico don't seem to go too slow. Obviously since the walk to the beach is downhill, after a day laying in the sun and being in the water going up a steep hill isn't all that fun.
So if you are staying here, I recommend having a car available to go the nearby beaches and the town for the restaurants.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I chose the Lazy Parrot to stay after reading reviews here. While it is overall a great vibe, there are some quirks that might be problems for some. 1) There are a lot of stairs to be navigated, and no elevator. If you have a lot of luggage (or are disabled) you may want to stay elsewhere. 2) In two days of being there, we had no hot water. It's great that they use solar energy, but this could be a problem when you have been at the beach all day. But those two things aside, we really enjoyed our stay here, especially: 1) the bed. Wow, a great, really comfortable bed. 2) Our dinner at the restaurant. The place leases out to two restaurants, the Rum Shack and the Lazy Parrot Inn. The Rum Shack's fish tacos were just okay, but the dinner we had at the Inn was fantastic. Amazing, fresh tuna, perfectly cooked, and a salad was comped when I told the waiter it was just so-so. We really enjoyed our meal here.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 4 April 2010

We stayed at The Lazy Parrot from March 29th to April 2nd and we had a great time. We absolutely loved the staff and the food was great. Make sure to spend some time chatting with Mitch at the Rum Shack. Our room was very nice and very clean. We really enjoyed the pool and pool bar and the food at both the bar and restaurant was excellent. I have no complaints!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 March 2010

We arrived at The Lazy Parrot (“TLP”) on Tuesday March 9th and departed Saturday March 13th. Our group consisted of 5 guys, all beginner surfers comprised of a mixture of family and friends, all traveling to Rincon for the first time seeking a temporary escape from the day-to-day corporate grind. I will admit that I wasn’t sure what to expect when I first arrived to TLP, but was soon won over by TLP’s staff and overall laid back approach. After we checked into our rooms, we quickly found the “Rum Shack” located directly next to the pool. It wasn’t hard to find. We met Mitch the bartender, who was by far the best bartender of the week. He hooked us up with cold Medalla’s without hesitation (a Coors Light for our friend from WV) and some of the best mahi tacos to date. After talking to Mitch for a bit, he provided us with an excellent reference for a local surfing instructor (see Melissa at Puntas Surf School, excellent instructor and highly recommended) who we used for the majority of the week for lessons. Overall all of the food at the Rum Shack was excellent. I would say we ate here at least 4 or 5 times during the week. The convenience, service and overall quality at the Rum Shack is top-notch – do not miss a meal here. In addition the Rum Shack has a satellite TV, with direct access to the NCAA Big East tournament, which was a nice and unexpected surprise to be able to catch up on the days games after a day at the beach in the surf.

The rooms at TLP were nice and clean. The in-room refrigerator was a nice touch to store cold beer and water for the week. We all had pool views from the 2nd floor which is recommended. The free breakfast in the mornings is pretty good I guess, but I wouldn’t expect to eat this every day. You have your basic, pastries, waffles, cereal, fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice and etc. There is great breakfast/coffee spot next door to TLP called “Banana Dang”, with excellent coffee, smoothies and bagels, but be prepared to wait. The service is slow and lacking somewhat in the speed department – we went here a few times. Do not miss reggae night (Wednesday’s) at TLP. Great music and great bands. Roots Militia played on the 10th…excellent local band.

Other areas to check out in Rincon. Calypso at Maria’s beach has excellent food and a great happy hour. Just a mile down the hill from TLP. Don’t miss the views from this bar/restaurant. Also Tamboo is another great place to get drinks and watch surfing. The food at Tamboo is average, but drinks are strong and they are open late-night (2AM) which is excellent for nightlife. Also just down the street from TLP is an open-air restaurant just before “the tire” called Happy Burger with has addictively amazing tacos. Do not miss these, also open late night too (2AM).

Overall our experience in Rincon and at the Lazy Parrot exceeded expectations and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a laid back getaway from the norm.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank etrain33
New York
Reviewed 13 March 2010

I would like to point out that I created my account on trip adviser simply because I felt my time at the Lazy Parrot was something everyone should know about.

I recently ate at your restaurant and I must say this was one of the best times of my life, the dining experience at this restaurant was unequaled to anything I had ever had before. My husband and I recently purchased property in the Rincon area and celebrated by going to your restaurant, we sat at one of your patio tables and had the best service on the island. The young man who waited on us, Reno, was very helpful, and informative about the town and about your menu he started by recommending the mahi mahi for my self and the rib eye for my husband, he was so passionate about the way he described the food and the process in which it was prepared that we thought he had to be more than just a waiter, maybe a manager or owner, but he quickly told us that he was just a server, he also paired our food with some very tasty wines. The food was simply amazing, the fish was fresh and the flavors all came together perfectly on the plate, my husbands rib eye was juicy and tender and he didn't need the steak knife at all, the butter knife was sufficient, we had never thought in our wildest dreams that we would find food and service of this kind anywhere on this island since we haven't had the same luck at any of the other restaurants around town. We also understand that the restaurant is under new management, congratulations you are doing a marvelous job, we hope to eat there again when we come back in April, until then thank you very much for such a pleasant experience and good luck in the future!

By the way I have read the reviews here and I must say the negative reviewers have to be out of they're minds!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 24 February 2010

We stayed in the room #6 for 4 nights. Room wasn't that big but cozy. Big closet, fridge, microwave oven, air conditioner (that one was very noisy). We had problems with shower: when our neighbors were taking shower at the same time as we did water almost disappeared. And you will not be able to sleep until midnight because the location of the room is not good: there are loads of people who comes to restaurant or bar and their route goes by several rooms including room #6. We were there for surfing and fun, and we got a 30% discount from the lady on the reception so we didn't complain. Interior of the hotel is very nice with loads of parrots pictures and images and handmade furniture. they have free WiFi at the common area. Food in the hotels restaurant is not good but unexpectedly expensive. It's better to eat somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
#1 of 2 in Aguada
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco

Been to Lazy Parrot Inn? Share your experiences!