“Dark hole - never again”
Review of Las Palmas Inn

Las Palmas Inn
Ranked #9 of 19 Rincon B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“Dark hole - never again”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We arrived late in Rincon and realized that hotels / inns at that time were quite busy to fully booked. The Palmas Inn was recommended to us with the words that it is very likely that we might get something there. After having been there we understand why. First of all the lady at the reception (the inn belongs to the casa islena) was very unfriendly, "eveything was to much". Then we ended up at the Palmas Inn. It is located in the mountains, with partial view of the sea. The building itself is fairly new, but the rooms have black dark doors without any window. Only one window at all to the side of the room (remember, there is the sea in front). We had two queen beds, a remote control - but no TV....the wardrobe with a terrible smell inside, same the towels in the bathroom. The whole place gave us the impression of beeing the last exit if nothing else is left. Breakfast was not included, so we had breakfast at the casa islena. Breakfast was ok, we also had diner the night before, here the Manager was taking care of us (he was very friendly) and the food was good. The casa islena is directly located at the small, nature beach. However, the review is for the accommodation and we would certainly never! go back there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TDBBerlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tampa
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I can only comment on their service over the phone because I have yet to stay at the property. Nevertheless, I was so pleased with the customer service I received from Dario (the owner) over the phone that I would like to rate him based on this. I will most likely be writing a separate review once I stay at Las Palmas next month.

Anyways, I called last week in order to clarify some questions I had before I booked two nights at this cute hotel. I was inquiring over the policy for late check-in. Dario reviewed with me what to do regarding my late check-in and when I mentioned I was traveling with an infant, he graciously offered the use of their pack-and-play free of charge. I was very relieved that he offered the use of the pack-and-play they have at their property as I was already stressing out about the sleeping arrangements for my infant son.

I noticed that several people have complained on this site over being unable to find the hotel. Well, since I have previously seen where the hotel is located, I know I will have no problem finding the hotel. However, Dario was not shy to admit that the hotel is hidden and hard to find and he wanted to ensure over the phone that I knew how to get to the hotel. I am assuming that the negative reviews regarding not finding the hotel is because people assume they can find it on their own and decline his help or directions.

Looking forward my stay at Las Palmas Inn next month!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This place was very disappointing. The pictures of the room are not accurate - the rooms are dark not white. Once you enter there are tons of mosquitos at the front door. When I arrived with my family it was hard to find since there were no clear large signs (inn is at the bottom of a steep hill). The pool was dirty - full of insects. The fire alarm in the room was missing its cover. We did not like it and stayed one night. The manager refused to refund us for the rest of the week and wouldn't even get us to another hotel. I tried to be nice and not insult the business but we had nothing but poor service from inn / manager.

Room Tip: don't book here - find something new the beach
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank nelson j
Reviewed 28 September 2012

The service provided by Dario was EXCELLENT!!! He guided us all the way to the Hotel. If you want to party, this is not the place. The place is awesome for relaxation and to have a romantic time with your wife. Oh and the view is just great, but ask for the ocean view!!!

• Stayed September 2012
puerto rico
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Las Palmas Inn is a heavenly place for the traveler in search for a quiet tranquil setting away from the madnes of a busy city life. My brother and I spent four nights (May 28 -June 1,2012)
We shared a corner room with two double beds with just the necessary,bare essentials .i.e.cable TV,clock radio,microwave oven,fridge,coffee maker and some utensils...a large armoire and table with two chairs...good a/c and a bathroom with shower with good pressure and hot water.The balcony has tables and chairs for guests to lounge around:the swimming pool is simple but well maintained by a living grounds keeper (Julio) who is a Jack of all trade kind of guy,he is a courteous,pleasant person readily available to offer any sort of information one needs regarding Rincon and its exquisite ocean life...Julio is a real asset to this facility and Dario and Eileen (the owners) are very fortunate to have him in the staff!
Someone wrote his experience regarding lost of power during his visit...well...we had a day when the power was interrupted because the Power Authority was repairing lines in the vecinity,not that we were not prepared to handle this sort of inconvenience (I have emergency kits in my vehicle...I am a local from Caguas!) but we called Casa Islena Inn which is theis main property just a two minute drive from Las Palmas,and Dario immediately offered us a room there for the night which we gladly and redily accepted ( the power was restored within the hour by the way!) That presented and exellent opportunity for me to 'check out' the Inn...the rooma wit two double beds are twice the size(vs Palmas) nicer batheroom,TV and armoire,pool,exellent fresh continental breakfast and rigth by the beach! and again Julio is the "Jack" here as well...the next day we return to Palmas(we really enjoy the solitude it offers!)
These Inns are just minutes away from the (now) popular beach called Steps or Escalones which is heaven for the shy underwater thrill seeker...with just a masks,snorkle and my sandals(!?) I caught a glance at a beautiful array of colorful fish,that included a small barracuda and to my most memorable surprise...a sea turtle!
I highly recomend both of these Inns,but bear in mind Palmas is for those wanting a quiet peaceful RR !!!
Just a very short drive away you'll find a bakery and a small grocery store.
And if you want inexpensive local meal you must drive 10 minutes to 'town' and tri THE BROTER right avross from the town Plaza ana church...they offer one special daily which is what we locals eat (rice,beans,plaintain,pork,beef,etc...) this,being that is the only special is fresly prepared daily and served with the salad of your choise...for just $4.50 (unbelievable!) of course the make breakfast and a variety of sandwiches as well as pizza...they open fron 6:00am to midnight daily...do not deliver and is cash only..but well worth it!!

Room Tip: overlooking the ocean is always my choise.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank rafijoe
New River
Reviewed 27 April 2012

When we booked our trip we were a little skeptical as it only has a 2 1/2 star rating and the pictures were somewhat decent. We had a very difficult time locating the actual hotel once we got there we were told we had to go to Casa Islena to check in and pick up the keys. We were thankful that we got there in the afternoon because there is no late night check ins. Once we checked in we spoke to the owner and he was very helpful and pleasant. We finally got to the room and the hotel is small about 9 rooms but quite, out of the way, peaceful, beautiful and overall wonderful. We had the beach view and had a beautiful patio to sit and watch the ocean. There is a fridge, microwave and dishes in the room. Overall the hotel was great and we plan on going back, Tips do not attempt to locate at night if it is your first time you will not find it. No late check ins so check in prior to 7pm, bring your own pillow that was the one thing that we found was a negative as we had neck aches the next day. Other than that this hotel deserves a 3 1/2 rating loved it!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Good:
-Quiet, cozy
-Pretty centrally located
-Kitchen great for breakfasts
-Very fair price

Room for Improvement:
-Very hard to find!
-No reception or point contact at the building - have to drive down to Casa Islenia to be helped. Especially inconvenient for check in.
-TV not very large or convenient
-Located on the bottom of a huge hill - you need a car to get around Rincon!

We appreciated it even more when we returned to San Juan to the very touristy places.

Las Palmas Inn was a great way to have a relaxing quiet couple of ddays in Rincon, away from the tourist traps of San Juan. We had a fantastic time in Rincon!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Parador Villa Antonio
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco

Been to Las Palmas Inn? Share your experiences!