“Spectacular Arches and Canyons. HUGE barracuda”
Review of Taino Divers

Taino Divers
Ranked #7 of 18 Tours in Rincon
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was probably the best two tank dive on which I ever went. Guided by Capt Frank. 100 feet visibility. Crystal-clear water, 82 degrees. The first dive to 80 feet (stayed 30 minutes total using dive computer) was to Candyland. Totally thrilling. Big nurse shark over 6 feet long, tons of beautiful colorful coral formations, many many fish and to cap it off a huge 5 foot barracuda who decided to come up close and check us out. Amazing!

After an hour plus surface time dive master Eduardo guided the second dive site to see the underwater caves, arches, canyons and holes. Started at 50 feet max depth then gradually worked our way through the maze of canyons and caves to 30 feet. Stayed down for 45 minutes. It was superb! Mostly were able to drift with current through the underwater labyrinth. Spectacular!

Getting there and back we saw many schools of dolphin and Frank spent extra time circling to allow photo opportunities.

Frank and Eduardo are a great team!

1  Thank Michael S

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I went with my sisters, brothers in law and my little niece! We had an awesome day of diving while my niece and sister spent their time in the surface snorkeling. The trip was awesome, service was great and we all had a fabulous time! We went to Desecheo Island and it was unbelievable. Can't wait to come back again this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I scheduled a boat dive with Taino prior to our arrival in Puerto Rico. I called the day before and was told there weren't enough divers for a boat trip. We were disappointed but Taino offered us a shore dive trip. They have a business to run so I understand the minimum requirement. The only thing I would suggest is that they post that on their website.

My wife and I are newly certified divers so we were hoping for someone that would take good care of us. We met Frank at the dive shop and he escorted us to Crash Boat Beach. Great guy! Very friendly and personable. We have our own BCs so we just needed reg sets and weights. I was totally impressed that Frank inspected our BCs. He helped us gear up and did a great pre-dive brief. Explained everything we were going to do and where we were going.

On the first dive my wife had an issue with her BC and ended up surfacing without the safety stop. I stayed with her until Frank came up. Instead of getting upset with us, he asked what happened. She explained that she couldn't get the air out of her BC. Frank transitioned to teaching mode and gave us some tips. On the next dive we started with some drills to reinforce what he was telling us. That was awesome. He didn't have to do that.

Crash Bat was awesome. Lots of life and a very easy dive. Can't say enough about how great Frank was. Looking forward to coming back and having Frank take us to Decheutes Island.

Highly recommend Taino and Frank.

1  Thank Chris G
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were in Puerto Rico for eight days diving/driving the Island. This was one of multiple dive shops we dove with, and was recommended by other dive shops across the Island. We had an incredible experience diving Desecheo Island. We dove on my fiancé's birthday, and the weather was very accommodating for us. The visibility, compared to other areas of the Island, is exceptional, easily 80+ feet. We are experienced divers and the boat crew recognized this and allowed those with experience to dive longer than the less experienced divers on board. This was a BIG plus for us given our experience with other dive boats that require all divers to come up if they are short on air. The reefs are exceptional and we had a rare treat in that multiple sharks followed us most of the dive, allowing us to calmly dive within 3 ft of the sharks that were hanging out and then resting on the ocean floor during our dive. It was an amazing experience. Food during the surface interval was very good, perfect! Often you get a small snack...we had lunch on board, which was an unexpected treat. The weather heading back to shore was a bit choppy and they informed us during the 2nd dive that we would dive shorter due to the weather that was being forecast. As other divers have mentioned, the marina is not currently in operation, so you do have to help load/unload the boat (you can opt not to participate) before and after the dive, so be prepared. This dive was our favorite of the 8 days we dove Puerto Rico. Staff was very friendly and allowed us to leave our personal gear hanging/drying so we could return and pick it up dry. We will assuredly return to dive more sites around Desecheo Island!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed on the west end of PR to dive on that side. The weather was a bit rough so Taino could not take us out to Desecheo Island. This was not Taino Divers' fault because they do not have large boats which will take rough waters. If you wanted to dive, they did not offer many alternatives--at least none that we were given by Taino. We wanted to night dive, but no one was available to take us. One day, they only took out snorklers, so we could not dive.

Just an FYI...the divers have to help load the boat on the beach. Everyone gets in a fire line and passes the tanks and gear from the truck to the boat. They say you do not have to participate, but you would look foolish if you didn't. When you are paying $99 to dive, the boat should be loaded for you. We have never had to do this before.

The staff is friendly and helpful. The local diving is ok but nothing spectacular. If you are going to Rincon, make sure that the weather permits them to go to Desecheo--otherwise, the trip may not be worthwhile.