“disappointing”
Review of Taino Divers

Taino Divers
Ranked #7 of 18 Tours in Rincon
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had a two tank morning dive booked to Desecheo Island and called to confirm the night before to make sure they were still chartering a boat there and was told yes. Drove three hours from Luquillo only to arrive and be told we were diving at a nearby reef instead because of a tropical wave that we should have been told on the phone. The "captain" showed absolutely no remorse and blamed our misinformation on someone else. We also arrived at check in time, 7:30 AM, and did not leave until 9 AM for the first dive.

After making an assembly like and loading all of the gear (including tanks) onto the boat, we headed out five minutes to the first dive site, Big Step. The reef was in horrible condition, the visibility was 20 feet at best, and the fish we saw were minnow size. Disappointing to say the least, after reading such awesome things about Desecheo.

The second dive was slightly better- the reef looked decent, we saw a bigger variety of fish (parrot, angel, lion), and the only redeeming quality of the entire experience was seeing two male king crabs fight.

Needless to say I would not recommend this dive shop if it was my only option. Staff is less than helpful and can't be bothered to converse with divers, gear is limited and of low quality, and the nearby reefs are not as good as the captain may tell you. Skip this dive shop and don't waste your money.

5  Thank emilyclove
There are newer reviews for Taino Divers

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Had an amazing experience snorkeling off Desecheo Island with Taino Divers. The water was super clear and had a beautiful blue tint, the guide told us he refers to it as snorkeling in windex. The reef and fish off the island were stunning. I think he said it was about 45 ft deep where we were snorkeling and you could see straight to the bottom with no problem. The amount and variety of fish was amazing. There were some crazy unique and colorful fish, I don't remember their names though. We did see about a 4-5 ft blacktip shark, he was down on the bottom and not interested in us so nothing to worry about. Also caught a glimpse of a sea turtle. The weather got rough and we had to head back towards Rincon where we snorkeled some more, still fun but no where near as beautiful as Desecheo. Little pricey, but well worth the experience. Highly recommend, I have never been snorkeling before, but from what I have heard Desecheo is one of the best spots to do it at.

1  Thank Greg S
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I visit Rincon several times each year. During the summer of 2013, the guys at Taino Divers instructed us through our scuba certification. They were patient, thorough, and professional. The snorkeling and diving is stunning in Rincon, but the experience you get by heading out with the Taino team makes it an experience you will remember forever.

When we were in Rincon in July of this year (2014), we went out with them again and I can't say enough great things about the trip. We saw turtles, Queen Angel Fish, a moray eel, and so many other cool things! Izzy, Frank, Eduardo, and the rest of the staff did such a great job of guiding us on 2 spectacular dives, that we signed up to do it again a week later! We are hooked and will definitely go out to Desacheo with Taino Divers again and again!

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Had a blast! The staff was fully knowledgeable and professional! They took the time to answer any questions about the trip and to explain proper procedures as to how to things. I did find it a bit pricey ($$$), but I can understand the costs related to the fuel and maintenance. At the end, it was worth it! Trip to Desecheo is a must for anyone visiting Rincón for the first time or a second, third...

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were very lucky and the weather was excellent. Apparently both the day before and after our dives they couldn't make the trip to the island. We did Candyland and Cuevas and loved it. Were fortunate enough to even see a black tip reef shark!
Taino people were helpful and respectful over the phone and via email, and we had a great time with them.
The best situation would be to have at least two days available to go to Desecheo Island and cross your fingers you get as beautiful of a day as we did!

1  Thank Dave10hldr