“As a hotel - 9 out of 10. As a hotel on the beach - 7 out of 10.”

Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Rincon
Reviewed 21 June 2008

Great beach front property, but under utilized. Unfortunately this place turned out to be a pretty typical hotel. With a location like this I was disappointed to see that the design of the hotel and gardens interrupted the views of the beach from the pool and from most of the rooms. The only rooms that seemed to have a good view only offered one bed. The room I ended up with was pretty small, and it looks like most of the rooms are, and had a view of palm trees 5 feet outside our balcony. Maybe that is all you get for $190 a night these days..?

If you don't mind being a 10 minute drive from everything in town (Agua) and you are just looking for a hotel without all the service and amenities of a resort, then this place may be okay. Most of the locals sounded impressed, so it may be the nicest for the area.? For me their section of beach was too small with no drink service, which made it hard to relax, and their pool had no view. :(

On a good note, the staff was very friendly, the food was good, and the gardens and lobby were nice.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank V_Hernandez

Reviewed 7 June 2008

We were a family of four (two teenagers included). we stayed there from Wednesday thru Friday. In overall the hotel was good,nice lobby, rooms, grounds ...is exactly like you see in the photos.
The pool was nice and clean but shallow ( only four feet deep). The beach was very good, with a long stretch of sand to walk and enjoy the ocean view, lounge chairs to move around as you please and take a suntan or get under a palm and relax. The only thing is to bring water shoes as you may encounter rocks in the water. The only negative thing I would say about my stay is for the food. The breakfast and lunch was included in our package but the menu for this deal is limited. The breakfast was buffet style (limited) and since it started at 7:00 a.m. by the time it was 9:00a.m. the food was cold and the drinks warm.
As for the staff the front desk and housekeeping were exuberant (as they called it), also the noon staff at the pool bar. The rest of the staff were simply courteous.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2008

First the good. The hotel lobby is beautiful, the landscaping is beautiful, in fact the only location where we heard the coqui, the famous frog of Puerto Rico. The breakfasts were very nice.

Now the bad. We were promised a beach view room. What we got was not beach view, but tree view. We took pics of all the palm trees, etc. that were the"beach view room". Interestingly, the room next door did have a beach view, the trees were still below the balcony, why didn't we get that one? We were also very tired from the drive and wanted to relax with a drink by and in the pool. The pool area was over-run with kids. We tried to sit by the pool and" our moment "was interrupted by a kid trying to climb the palm tree next to my chair. Needless to say, totally unenjoyable. I'm sure it was for the parents and their kids, afterall it was a day care center, free baby sitting area. They didn't even try to curtail their kids. And of course, the staff said nothing to them. We moved and went over to the bar, hoping at least kids won't be running around over there. Well, the music was extremely loud, the bartenders went out of their way to ignore you, and yes, kids also came over to the bar area. Such fun!!!
The only peace and quiet we enjoyed there was at dusk on the beach in our lounge chairs, away from the hotel and its noise.
If you stay there on the weekend a band plays music loudly til 10 or 11 pm, so be prepared!
I complained to the staff over the phone about the kids over-running the pool area, and asked if there is an adult hour for swimming. She laughed and said we have families here, and no there isn't an adult swimming time. So, I guess kids rule at this hotel!!! BE FORE-WARNED! I also complained to Hotels.com about our not getting an ocean view room hoping to get a refund or at least compensated some how, NO SUCH LUCK!!! AGAIN A WARNING!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2008

Stayed here for a 45 day work trip. Nice grounds, comfy open air lobby. Was with a group of 35 co-workers, and the hotel had everything together and the check in was a smooth process which usually never happens when we travel.

Rooms were sufficient in size, but a little plain. The room was always kept clean, and my maid Maribel knew I worked nights so she worked around my schedule to make sure not to disturb my sleep.

Wireless internet is spotty, and your best bet is to bring a CAT V cable to hardwire your laptop. They didnt have any cables available at the front desk but lucky I had a 4 footer with me. Rincon is not the center of the tech world so you may have trouble finding one if you forget yours.

Nice pool and outside bar. Beach nice and clean, but if you snorkel or scuba, you need to try elsewhere, not much bottom structure attracting all the fish.

Overall a very nice place, and would visit it again.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2008

We stayed for two nights during the Presidents' Week holiday, so we expected it to be very crowded, which it pleasantly was not. The lobby was lovely and gave the feeling of a larger, more luxurious hotel. Glad to have a small game room in the lobby with a great air hockey table for my teenager. The pool is lovely and large, and usually no problem finding a chair. The beach was okay with only a few chairs. The beachfront area in front of this u-shaped hotel was small, but you had a lot of beach to walk on on either side. There were other small hotels to the left and a water sports rental place not far that had jetskis, banana boat rides, kayaks, etc. (but no sailboats). The beach was ordinary, with some waves and water more dark green, like the Atlantic. Rooms were ordinary, clean, of the Holiday Inn type of decor and size with a small balcony. The hotel has a sweet courtyard with a kids swings area and a garden with lots of hammocks and a couple of picnic tables for shady napping or reading - a nice touch. Good service at the front desk and by housekeeping. The gift shop was never open; nor was the wine bar in the lobby. Room service got most of our orders wrong. The room comes with free buffet breakfast, which was fine for free - the usual stuff, eggs, breakfast meats, greasy potatoes, some fruit, yogurt...but very good coffee. Not sure if I'd stay in the same place when I come back to Rincon. I'd probably want to stay in a funkier, smaller place near the surfing beaches or one of the paradors to get more local culture.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank panicbutton
Reviewed 9 January 2008

The good.
The hotel is well maintained, clean, with pleasant grounds, a nice large (albeit shallow)pool, nice poolside bar, and an excellent location on one of the best beaches in Rincon. It really is very nice. Oh, and the sunsets are to die for.

The Bad.
Get your reservation confirmation in writing as they are not above changing the deal prior to arrival. It took quite a bit of effort (even after booking in June for New Years) to get a written confirmation.

The "Beach Cabana" rooms are not cabanas at all but simply ground floor rooms of the hotel. When we discovered this, we asked to be moved and were promptly found a room on the third floor.

The views from the balconies are pretty much non-existent except for maybe 10 or 15 rooms at the very ocean end due to palm trees which have grown so tall and lush as to blot out any view. If you like palm fronds, you'll love it.

The air conditioning units blow hot air right on to the balcony so there is no sitting on the balcony while the AC is running. By morning, the balcony is very warm, too warm to enjoy.

Noisy. It seemed there was a wedding every night, and loud music was constantly blaring. At one point, there were two receptions going on at the same time and the resultant cacaphony at 10:30 pm was enough to rouse me to complain, twice. A real drag.

The Ugly.

The food service was abysmal. The breakfast buffet was fine, lunch extremely iffy, once you got it which was often 40 or more minutes. The dinners provided with the meal plan were really bad. Whatever you do, don't get a meal plan. There are a lot of really great places to eat in Rincon, enjoy them.

The Bottom Line.

If you are looking for a resort style hotel with a big pool and swim up bar, this is the only game in town. And the kids will love it! All the kids I saw were having a blast.

Would I go back? Maybe, but only because I am armed with the knowledge I have now and wouldn't be so disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank The_Leske_Gang
Reviewed 16 November 2007

I stayed at the Rincon of the Seas for my honeymoon and it was the trip of a lifetime.

We were ecstatic to find our hotel after the 2 and a half hour drive from San Juan. When we first walked in we were struck by the grandeur of the open air lobby and the antique furnishings. Also, the front desk staff was very helpful.

Our room was acceptable. The bed was comfortable and the balcony was a nice touch. The satellite TV was on the fritz so we didn't get many channels but we weren't in the room much anyway.

The main restaurant was not open but the open air restaurant was very nice. I think we ate there 4 times during our stay and didn't get tired of the food. Rachel was our waitress and she happily answered all of our questions no matter how stupid they may have been. Also, we got the complimentary breakfast. The breakfast could have been warmer but I think if we had gotten there a little earlier it probably would have been.

The pool bar was fantastic. Jose, the bartender, was very friendly and prompt with our drinks. (he makes a great martini by the way)

The beach was lovely. There was a little erosion due to the recent tropical storm but that didn't stop us from enjoying it. We did some swimming and some sunning. But mostly we spent the evenings out there, watching the sunsets (which are AMAZING!!!), listening to waves and the coquis and drinking daiquiris.

Also, the landscaping was great. Beautiful trees and beatiful flowers. We did spend one morning lounging in the hammocks.

The hotel was great but I recommend that you don't spend all your time there. Get to know Rincon. Take the time to explore the crazy hills and winding roads. The beauty of this place will not disappoint.

Also, everyone in this town is laid back and friendly. I recommend that you make the trek to the Americanized area of town and check out the surf and the surfers. The waves were HUGE when we were there. (Oh, and the lighthouse everyone talks about, "El Faro", it's not much to look at. The natural scenery and beauty outdoes it BY FAR!)

As for the local establishments:

We visited a restaurant called Angelo's for dinner one night. We got all dressed up and headed out, only to be quite disappointed when we pulled up. The restaurant didn't look like much from the outside. However, when we went in, our outlook changed. Flowers on every table, beautiful furnishings and Angelo himself was our waiter. Check out the Angelo's specialty. This place could not have been more welcoming and the food, well it just doesn't get any better than this.

We visited Calypso for lunch. Great steak burritos. Again, a fabulous atmosphere and a wonderful view. The staff was welcoming and friendly.

Also, be sure to visit the Tamboo Beside the Pointe. This is one of the most amazing bars I've ever been to. Again, it was the laid back atmosphere and the friendliness of the staff that made me want to come back again and again. The food's good too and the drinks are CHEAP compared to the hotel! It's a little hard to find but as they'll tell you in Rincon, every road goes to the same place. Keep driving and you'll find it!!

We were there in the off-season so we didn't have many other tourists to contend with. I can't speak for the high season but as far as my experience goes, if you like seclusion, relaxtion and friendly people I would definitely recommend Rincon and the Rincon of the Seas. I know we plan to go to back someday.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jesslee1906
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 8 in Cabo Rojo
Mayaguez Resort & Casino

Been to Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel? Share your experiences!