“Nice getaway”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rincon
Houston, Texas
“Nice getaway”
Reviewed 29 June 2007

We loved our stay! The staff was very attentive, the property grounds were clean and very well kept, the food was good, the beach awesome. The room was clean and when the A/C got way too cold I called the front desk and in less than 15 minutes they came up and fixed the problem. The pool is very shallow, great for little kids and adults to lounge in. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank IslandLissy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
New York
Reviewed 26 February 2007

Our party of 10 had a great time at this average hotel during Presidents week in Feb of 2007. While the accommodations are not luxurious by any means -- well-worn furniture, limited restaurant choices/menu, and spotty front-desk service -- we loved the super friendly staff, expansive (but shallow) pool, and beach front location. This was our first trip to Rincon but it won't be our last.

All-in-all, Rincon by the Seas seemed to be above average for the area and was perfect for our group. The teenagers used the free wireless internet in the lobby and free wired internet in the rooms (bring your own Cat 5 jumper), our little guys had fun in the pool, playground and chasing the geckos, and everyone enjoyed the beach and breathtaking sunsets.

We had a beach cabana, which was a regular room that opened onto the pool level. We paid a little extra, but really enjoyed being able to come and go into the pool level directly from our room (the patio door has a card reader lock)

We found Rincon to be a wonderful area where visitors can see some of the old, traditional Puerto Rican lifestyle with some of the touristy items like good restaurants and bars, parasailing, and world-class beaches. Please note, however, that the emphasis in Rincon is surfing the big waves, not floating in calm waters. Swimming beaches few and far between and the water was more murky green than turquoise.

Lastly, while another review lamented the guests as New York, middle class, overweight, and families with kids we found these NY City firemen to be wonderful people who we were proud to share time with.

• Liked — Location - Rincon is beautiful
  • Disliked — Rooms were well-worn
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank NYTownie
New Jersey
Reviewed 25 February 2007

Since over the last few years I have relied heavily on Tripadvisor's reviews when selecting a hotel or resort, I feel obligated to return the favor and post a review after a stay.

I researched many Rincon area hotels and inns and decided on the Rincon of the Seas for several reasons: amenities, price, size and location. I travelled with my wife and two daughters ages 13 and 22. We stayed 7 nights. This is absolutely one of the nicest hotels in Rincon, depending on what you are lookiing for and what yor budget is. Our room was $168 including all taxes. Parking is free. There is no resort fee. We wanted beachfront, a pool and a nice room and good location to restaurants and town. We like to travel outside of wherever we stay to sample the local restaurants, bars shops, etc., so the onsite restaurant needs only be average for us. The positives of this hotel outweigh the few negatives we encountered. The hotel looks exactly as it does on the web site. Grounds are well manicured and lush. Just about all rooms have a view of some degree. We were in a standard room, thid floor. Not very big, but manageable, since we spent little time actually in the room. The beds are full size, not queen. Bathroom was large enough. We had a balcony with table and chairs, but the AC was noisy when sitting out there. Great view. Beds were ok. The room had a dorm sized fridge. Housekeeping staff was great. The hotel was quiet at night. The lobby was open air, nicely decorated, plenty of seating and very nice to sit in looking out towards the pool and beach. Lobby has wireless for laptops. Worked great. The pool was very nice, clean, four feet deep. Swim up bar on one side (walk up patio/pool bar on the other. We spent a lot of time in the pool and ate something from the pool bar menu at least once a day, even if it was just an appetizer. The food here was fine. A little expensive, but to be expected. My 13 yr old loved their frozen smoothies. The pool area lead out to a nice beach that had plenty of lounge chairs. We always were able to get 4 chairs together and never had to "save" chairs. The beach was clean and the water was always calm and warm. If you walked a huundred yards south down the beach there was a beach bar at the Villa Cofresi Hotel. Medalla Beer was $bucks here, $4 bucks at our hotel. Good crowd also. We never had dinner or breakfast at our hotel, so I can't comment on the food quality or selections. The hotel is a 2 minute drive to Rincon town center. You could walk it, but the road is pretty busy leading to town. The hotel is no more than 15 minutes to any of the popular surfing spots that Rincon is famous for, or any other of the restaurants, bars shops, etc. We ate somewhere different every night. I went to Puntas Bakery every morning and picked up breakfast. I highly recommend it. The hotel did serve breakfast if you wanted to stay on site.
We had a few negatives: The fridge went on the fritz twice. Once it was replaced, very quickly I might add, but not after about 30 bucks worth of stuff went bad. We had made a trip to the supermarket down the road and picked up soda, juice, beer, yogurt, fruit, water...little stuff. I approached the front desk about it and was told we were not supposed to have food of that nature in the room fridge. I was told the fridge was mostly for water.....HUH??? I asked how we were supposed to know that (even though I am thinking how ridiculous that is) and the manager handed me the little slip of paper you get when you get into your room. The one lying on the table or dresser or bed. Sure enough, on the back side, in teeny print, there was a section on "prohibited" food items. I lost this battle. I could've really lost my cool, but figured for thirty bucks it wasn't worth it. Plus, I really didn't want to see the Rincon City Jail. The manager offered me absolutely nothing, not even an "I'm sorry about that.". I had no contact with her after that interaction, which was the second or third day. The interent connection in the room did not work the entire week. I didn;t complain, but it was a bit inconvenient to have to go from the third floor to the lobby every time we wanted to go online. The TV went out for a day. Not a big deal. The pool bar service was OK. Sometimes a little slow to get a drink, but it depended on who was bartending. Food service to the pool bar was pretty quick. The beach front lounge chairs were a little beat up. They were the plastic strap kind and some needed to be replaced. But he biggest annoyance about the beachfront lounge chairs was that they were all cable locked together. So there would be several rows of about 10 or 12 chairs and you couldn't move them, except about a foot. They all faced the ocean which was great, but in February the sun was a little south so it would have been nice to be able to turn the lounge chairs to face the sun. Again, not a real big deal, but just another little thing. As I said at first, the positives of this hotel out weigh the negatives. The beaches in the area are narrow strips of sand. Pretty and primitive in some spots. Overall, this hotel was a great choice for the rate. The location is good and was definately worth it. I would recommend it.

Stayed February 2007
8 Thank mevangelista
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 February 2007

After the hairy 3.5 hour drive in traffic from San Juan airport we arrived at this property. It has a beautiful entrance drive and respectable lobby. After that it goes downhill. It took us 30 mins to check in because they had lost the booking of the people ahead of us and our booking too. There was only one person working the desk and she was also handling all phone calls in and around the property. There were no bellmen around when we arrived but some surfaced after we got settled in the long check in line. I switched rooms after my first night but neither matched my booking. The first was a double and the second a king handicapped room. Both were satisfactory by motel standards but both had various damage such as scuff marks on the walls, pee soaked blanket, broken shower head, low water pressure, worn appliances, toilet seat won't stay up, loud noise from the hallway, shower at crotch level, shower doesn't drain well, super loud window A/C unit with the sound of marbles bouncing around, unmuffled noise from pool area and "band", service attitude that the guests are here for the staff, not the other way around.

The guests here seem to be overwhelmingly from New York, of middle class, 50+ lbs overweight, families with kids. You _will_ hear screaming kids here.

The pool area is fine with a sunken swim up bar. The beach is fine but steep, maybe 10 yards from beach head to water at low tide.

There is free internet in the lobby and it can also be accessed from a few rooms close to the lobby. Otherwise you'll see many people camped in the lobby to check their email.

I've avoided the restaurants and eaten away from the hotel. The local area is fairly run down and does not have many attractive places to go.

At night there is a two person band with tape backup playing at the pool bar until around midnight. They play with a very tired attitude - even poppy songs sound like muzak in their hands

• Liked — Internet connection
  • Disliked — Seedy room and service
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank PaulSEA1

Travellers are raving about these Rincon hotels

Hartford, CT
Reviewed 12 January 2007

Beautiful lobby, pool, small stretch of beach, and view from the hotel room. Scratch beneath the surface, though, and the place feels a little shabby. Some of the walls are peeling, the little brackets in the elevator for posting promotional flyers have nothing in them (as if they're too lethargic to brag about their hotel), hotel bathroom in need of a paint job, creaky ceiling fan, etc. The food at the poolside restaurant was really mediocre (the more expensive restaurant, Deco, was closed for the off season). We were virtually the only guests at the time and had to put up with some relentlessly loud power-washing of the pool deck until we made enough of a fuss to stop it. This could be a wonderful hotel if it were't so poorly managed. The building and grounds are beautiful and the room was spacious. It just needs better maintenance and management.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tfrank4
new england
Reviewed 8 January 2007

We were looking for a moderately priced hotel for Thanksgiving for ourselves and our teenaged son who needed a few days of total R&R away from school. I told him he could sleep for 5 days and that 's essentially what he did. I chose the hotel after looking at reviews on this site and speaking to a friend born in PR who returns on vacation annually. She recommended the Rincon area for its beaches without hesitation. My own criteria were:
1. Easy plane flight from the NYC area 2. Easy ground transportation to hotel from airport 3. Comfortable, clean hotel with good beach, good pool and good food and, finally
4. Reasonable prices.
We flew Jet Blue from JFK to Aquagilla and a taxi delivered us to the hotel within 30 minutes of landing. No customs, no immigration, excellent roads, large modern taxi. The hotel was about 120 rooms, all facing towards the interior courtyard garden, restaurant and pool. We had a large suite with huge balcony on the 3rd floor facing the ocean on one side and the garden on the other. The price of the suite was the same as two rooms, but allowed us to both socialize comfortably with our son and maintain some degree of privacy. The rooms were clean, modern and tasteful. The bathroom was large, immaculately clean and had a separate room for the toilet facilities. There was a refrigerator and bar area. The gardens were lovely and lush. Our son was able to spend a good deal of time every day asleep in one of several hammocks in the gardens without getting sunburned. The pool was huge but shallow throughout (just over waist deep on my average female frame). There was more of a beach at the hotel than any of the surrounding properties and we were told that erosion had been significant over the past 30 years, virtually eliminating some of the beaches in the area. The sunsets were spectacular. Dining was acceptable but totally undistinguished. There was a simple but colorful local restaurant across the street. A grocery store was located within a 10 minute walk from the hotel and carried a full line of supplies, including liquor. The town beach, a longer walk but do-able, had kyak rentals. We didn't go to the surfing beaches, but Rincon is known for wonderful surfing and several people in the airport had their own boards. In summary, we got what we paid for, we relaxed, we spent a minimal amount of time travelling and we never had to deal with long government lines because we were in the US the whole time! I might avoid it during spring break from what the bartender said, but otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to return for an uncomplicated break from routine.

• Liked — convenience to air travel
  • Disliked — somewhat cookie-cutter American hotel chain quality to it
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank glencora
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 July 2006

This was a great place. A little expensive for my budget, but well worth it. The pool was immaculate. The rooms are very clean, staff very friendly. I lived in Rincon as a child so I knew my way around. Please do not confuse this place with "Rincon Beach Resort" located in Anasco, which is way up in the mountains and far away from "downtown" Rincon. Anyway, Rincon of the Seas is spectacularly beautiful and peaceful. The only complaint I have is that it's very quiet which is great for those of you that want peaceful nights listening to the beautiful songs of the "coquis" and the ebb of the ocean. Wish I was there now. The lobby is open, so you just can sit there and enjoy the sounds with no obstructions. Did I mention the sunsets? The most beautiful sunsets you'll ever see. As a matter of fact, the nickname of this tiny little town is "The Land of Beautiful Sunsets" If you are a surfer, you may never leave. For the surfers check out Road 413 known as the Road to Happiness. You won't regret it.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Lazy Parrot Inn
#2 of 8 in Rincon
Parador Villa Antonio
Mayaguez Resort & Casino

Been to Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel? Share your experiences!