“Can't Compare in PR”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Rincon
New York City, New York
“Can't Compare in PR”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This property can't be compared to anything else on the island and I include the 2-3 "luxury hotels" in the San Juan, Vieques and Bahia Beach areas in saying so. The thing about the Horned Dorset is that it is purposely secluded and everything you expect when it comes to privacy, you get. In choosing where to elope this summer, my husband and I really saw no other option than the Horned Dorset. We were married there last weekend in a private ceremony. In terms of staff, we would not have chosen the property if it weren't for Cris Acevado in the reservations group. He treated us as his very own guests, not just another reservation in the system, and because of him, we were presented with an unforgettable experience. He has a talent and professionalism that cannot be compared. Special thanks to restaurant manager Tony as well for being a great host and conversationalist throughout our stay. We will return!

Room Tip: The pools differ in sizes. I loved mine in #16.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JCS419
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, 26 September 2014
Der guest,

Great hearing the comment.. yes a world apart..

Looking forward seeing you again.

Rincon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York, NY
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My boyfriend and I and our two Chihuahuas stayed at Horned Dorset Primavera in Rincon for four nights. We always wanted to stay at this hotel. But, because Rincon is not so easy to get to, we were a little bit hesitant. But, now that Jetblue flies direct to Aguadilla, which is thirty minutes away, we decided to spend part of our vacation in Rincon. We are so happy that we finally decided to stay at Horned Dorset. This will definitely not going to be our last.

There are two ways to get to Horned Dorset from NYC. You can either take a direct flight from JFK to the airport in Aguadilla, as mentioned earlier or fly into San Juan and drive for two hours to Rincon. We opted for flying to Aguadilla for the convenience. There is only one direct flight out of JFK at 5:40 am. It is very early in the morning and it is brutal to be at the airport at 3:45 am. But, the advantage is that it gets you into Aguadilla by approximately 9:00 am and you have the whole day to enjoy instead of spending half of the day traveling. From the airport, it was an easy thirty minute drive (we rented a car from Avis at the airport) to Horned Dorset. We took our GPS with us. It worked perfectly fine and we did not get lost at all.

The hotel as well as the property are absolutely gorgeous, just like in the pictures. It is very lush with mango trees, tamarind trees, and different color tropical flowers. We saw whole bunch of fruits on the hotel ground. I was telling my boyfriend that we will never starve, as we can simply live off of the hotel property, picking up mangos and tamarinds from the ground.

I saw several reviews on the tripadvisor site that the trees in the hotel property are not trimmed and a bit wild. But, we loved the fact that they are not totally manicured like in some of the chain hotel properties. It made us feel like we were in the mountains. Nevertheless, unlike what some reviewers mentioned, we saw workers taking care of the garden every day.

We arrived at the hotel shortly before 11:00 am. Check-in was very efficient. We were in our room in no time. We reserved a garden view room. However, the hotel upgraded us to the ocean front room, which was absolutely amazing.

All rooms here are duplexes. Both floors are beautifully decorated and have white marble floors. Upstairs (ground floor) is a bedroom with a four poster, white canopy king size bed, soaking bath tub, and huge shower with three shower heads with glass doors and a large bathroom. Bed was so soft and comfortable, and we slept well every night. Shower had really strong water pressure, and water was very hot. So, definitely there is no hot water problem at this hotel, if you are worried, as some may have noted in the tripadvisor reviews.

Downstairs is a living room with a beautiful but small comfortable couch, coffee table, flat screen TV with cable, DVD player, stereo, small table with chairs (which can be used as a dining table) and a desk with a chair, eat-in kitchen with a microwave. Downstairs also has a small bathroom with a shower. As some of the tripadvisor reviews stated, the kitchen does not come with plates, utensils etc. But, if you need them, I am sure that you can ask the hotel and they will provide you with what you need. Everyone at the hotel is very thoughtful and helpful.

Wooden doors downstairs open up to a patio with a plunge pool and 2 lounge chairs, and a small table with chairs. The pool was much bigger than we thought, and we were quite surprised. The patio overlooks the gorgeous beach. The beach here is quite small, with only a handful of beach chairs to sit on. But the water is crystal clear and calm, perfect for swimming and snorkeling.

I believe that the beach here is public. But, since Horned Dorset is located out of the way from the busy part of Rincon, the local residents do not really come to this beach. We just saw a few people fishing and swimming.

June 23 was La Noche de San Juan where locals head to the ocean, walk backwards and fall backwards into the ocean at mid night, for good luck. We experienced this in San Juan last year. The beach in Ocean Park was crowded with thousands of locals with music blasting pretty much all night. We were wondering if the Horned Dorset beach would attract many locals on this day. But, we were surprised that nothing special really happened and the beach stayed quiet and peaceful just like any other nights.

By the way, if you decide to reserve the ocean front rooms, you will not be able to just step onto the beach from your rooms. There are no steps that would lead you to the beach directly from your rooms. You will need to go out of the room and walk towards the main building and go down the steps to get to the beach. The other option is to walk past the grassy area where you can sit to have lunch. But, the steps are steeper. So, I personally did not like this way.

The hotel was very nice to upgrade us to the ocean front room, and we certainly did enjoy the view of the gorgeous beach. But, I am sure that we would have been just as happy to be in the garden view room, located slightly higher up on the hill, considering that all rooms are designed the same. The hotel does an excellent job keeping the entire place really beautiful.

After breakfast, we came back to our room and relaxed on our lounge chairs. We loved having our own private plunge pool. When we got hot from soaking up the sun in our patio, we just jumped into our pool to cool off.

June is off-season and the hotel was very quiet with not too many guests (at least we did not see too many). We hardly saw anyone walking around the hotel property. We almost felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. This is because everyone enjoys being in the room so much. It is just so relaxing and peaceful here.

We also enjoyed sitting around one of the two swimming pools. The main pool is located in front of the hotel lobby. The main pool is huge and it is perfect for doing laps. I enjoyed floating around on the pool float with my two Chihuahuas. They seemed to have enjoyed floating around peacefully under the sun, listening to birds sing. We were there for good two to three hours and the whole time, we were the only ones sitting there. One of the hotel staff came out and filled the cooler with ice and whole bunch of water bottles for us.

The other swimming pool, much smaller than the one in front of the main building is located right in front of the gym. This pool does not have any lounge chairs. But, it is perfect to take a dip right after the workout.

The gym is small. But, it was equipped with treadmill, bike, elliptical machine, weight lifting machines and some free weights. The gym is not fancy. But, it is certainly good enough and I was able to get my work out in.

One thing to note about the hotel property. The hotel is located on the hill. No matter where you want to go, you will need to go up and down the stairs. If you are injured or have knee issues, getting around the property may be a bit rough.

As for restaurants, the hotel has two restaurants, Blue Room and Restaurant Aaron. Unfortunately, during our stay, Restaurant Aaron, located on the second floor of the main building was closed. The hotel staff told us that it may be closed during the low season. But, the Blue Room menu included some of the items that would have been served at Restaurant Aaron, if you would like to try.

One night, I did not feel well and did not feel like dining at the restaurant. So, we opted for a room service. This was probably the best room service that we ever had. All items ordered arrived promptly. The restaurant staff set our table downstairs in our room very nicely with a white table cloth. I ordered salad with warm goat cheese (appetizer) and my boyfriend had pork entree. Both were excellent. Portions at the restaurant tend to be very generous and I could never finish. So, the leftovers always ended up as our lunch the next day.

On the first night that we arrived, the hotel organized a classical guitar concert around the main pool with four course dinner. My boyfriend had lobster tail, which was surprisingly huge and I had grooper. Both were perfectly prepared. Again, I ended up taking back most of the food back to the room including dessert. The restaurant staff may have thought that I did not like the food. But, this was not the case. I eat small portions frequently, and I loved everything that I ordered.

After five days here, we felt truly rejuvenated. We really hated to leave, which was the only bad part of the whole experience. Instead of taking a direct flight back to JFK, which tends to be around 10:00 am, we drove to San Juan where we spent another four nights. It was a two hour drive, which was not too bad. Having spent five days at Horned Dorset made our vacation seem much longer. It really felt like we were away for at least two weeks. Was it because it was just so relaxing?

By the way, if you are a dog lover, this hotel is a perfect place for you. We always look specifically for pet friendly hotels. We never leave our two Chihuahuas behind when we go away. They are used to traveling to Puerto Rico as well since we come to Puerto Rico at least three times a year with them.

In conclusion, my boyfriend and I as well as our Chihuahuas truly enjoyed our stay at Horned Dorset. Thank you for the hotel management and staff who took good care of us. If you are looking for relaxation in a beautiful setting, Horned Dorset is definitely a destination not to be missed. We certainly cannot wait to go back. Hopefully, very soon....

Room Tip: Any room that you will select you will be very happy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JuneSNewYork_NY
Dear Guest,

Thank you , a place for special people.

Looking forward seeing you again.

PA
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is private, (somewhat quiet) and romantic. But is in dire need of repair and maintenance/cleaning. Our room had no hot water in the shower, roof leaking in various areas. A lot of the light fixtures did not work. The upstairs air conditioner is extremely loud, to point that I gave up and just used the ceiling fan (even with the heat) The dipping pool pump/filter was very very loud and seems to never turn-off. The room was dirty and dusty, specially the doors (and I say this not as a neat freak). The dipping pool in the room was dirty. The rooms are spacious and comfy. Bring mosquito repellent. At one time we counted 5 stray dogs, I don't mind them, I'm a dog lover, but some people might find this weird. Also a couple of stray kittens. Great little kitchenette, so I suggest you bring with you some food and snacks. Continental breakfast is weak, food is expensive, even the drinks. ($24 for 2 piña coladas) The service at the restaurant is great, but menu is limited and expensive. You will need a car (and a good gps) parking areas are limited and very rough. (Plus the hotel is not responsible even if a mango falls from their multiple trees). No security and poor lighting, so watch where you park. Is close to a lot of neat little restaurants and other areas (but still need a car, everything in Puerto Rico is in driving distance, forget walking). The green areas maintenance is loud, and for a hotel that markets itself as relaxation and disconnect, the noise from the mower starts way too early. Also at sometimes the maintenance crew felt like peeping-toms. A couple of nice pools (also needed cleaning). Great gym. Bring an umbrella, it rains like every evening. Not that we needed it, but there was no wi-fi; cellphone reception spotty (T-mobile and AT&T), no phone in the rooms (a good thing). Great selection books in the room. The beach area is beautiful, but note, it's a public beach. Great views. Most of the staff we dealt with where very courteous and fluent in English. The manager always had a smile and was present like every time. If you are looking for a place to relax, this is an option. Expensive. I would stay again, but will wait a bit to see if they fix some of these issues.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Ralph A
Camuy, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at the Horned Dorset Primavera during the weekend and visited several restaurants nearby. The hotel accommodations are second to none in Puerto Rico's west coast. The hotel ambient was very impressive: nice beach front suite with private pool, great atmosphere, and very romantic!!! My only issue with this hotel is that Aaron's restaurant was not up to par with the rest of the hotel experience. You can get a lot better meal from other great restaurants nearby at half the price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mario P
Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed with Illeana in a villa on AirBNB and this place is amazing. From the privacy to the infinity pool and the private dipping pool to the gorgeous views from the hotel deck and beach. This place has it all. We were glad to have a car, so we enjoyed driving into Rincon for surfing, snorkeling, and meals, but we also loved escaping back into the privacy and luxury of the Horned Dorsett each evening.

In my opinion, a perfect place to stay if you have a car!

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the villas for perfect privacy and a feeling of complete luxury!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ebwalker
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Horned Dorset three times in the past two years and will surely go back. The Residences are exquisitely furnished to convey not just luxury, but tranquility and a romantic atmosphere. Each time we leave rejuvenated, renewed and revitalized. Heads up! Be aware that the villas do not have a tv or radio, so this is for getaways to literally decompress from the routine by reading, sunbathing, sleeping in, eating well, and reconnecting with a loved one (we personally spend at least one day to do nothing but lounge in the villa's plunge pool with a couple of bottles of champers!) It is very upscale and the prices reflect it, but well worth it. The one disappointment was that one time we went having taken advantage of a special offer the hotel offered for Puerto Rico residents during low season - and they removed the complimentary coffee maker with coffee and the bottled mineral water from the villa; both amenities were back in the room in our following stay when we paid regular rates...it just seemed like a petty thing to do, but by no means did it ruin our enjoyment of our stay.

Room Tip: Ask about their calendar of concerts and dinner; they are lovely evenings featuring a live classical...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LJOValcarcel
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Der Guest,

Thank you for your comments, greatly appreciated and that is what we are here for to help you to decompress and reconnect, simply a a place to get away in this busy world and pamper yourself.

In the long term it is better to pay a high hotel bill then a high Hospital bill "down the road".

We are looking forward seeing you back again.

The Horned Dorset Primavera
Rincon, Puerto Rico
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband works in Puerto RIco and I met him for our 27th Wedding Anniversary. We were told that it was one of the most romantic places in Puerto RIco and I must agree with that statement! Although we were first promised a different room, I can not complain, because the room we were given was beautiful definitely as large as any townhouse in the States. I did miss the direct ocean view from our bed that we would of had with the promised suite. Decorated with Moroccan furnishing throughout it was different and quite lovely even after all these years. It had two levels, a living area, little dining table, huge downstairs closet, a private terrace with two lounge chairs, a bistro table and your very own and private lunge pool. The en-suite bathroom had the biggest party shower, I have seen in a hotel with a spectacular soaking tub. The linens and bed were also amazing! It was spectacular to hear the waves come crashing against the building as we woke up. The room had a complete and full kitchen but you couldn't even find one bottle/wine opener, a knife much less a glass. The kitchen was bare. It is the lack of attention to detail that was a bit disappointing and not that of a once 4 and 5 star property. The food at the restaurant was good, but expensive for what was offered. The gym was falling apart with broken windows, cobwebs and what seemed to be really old equipment. I didn't even realize there was a second resort pool in front of the gym until the day we were leaving, but it too was empty with no place to sit. The few guests were at the main pool near the main lobby area. If you want to get away, hide and not be seen this is the place to go and disconnect. I know the hotel has been in Rincon for many years and at one time, it has to have been host to many affluent and distinct guests. We were even told we were getting the Hilary Clinton suite. I don't know if this was true or not. Nonetheless, the property needs lots of care and attention. I don't know if the owners are selling or it is just being left to wither away. The beauty of the location and the ocean views from ones private terrace are spectacular and second to none; it's a shame to let the unlit walkways, weeded gardens, broken roof tiles and lack of care to the property as a whole ruin this beautiful hotel. I even called back to request an itemized bill sent to my e-mail and I am still waiting.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank peredakk
wohlsein, General Manager at Horned Dorset Primavera, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your vacation experience during your stay this January and I hope you had a memorable Anniversary. We celebrated the same Anniversary as you, 27 years for the main building, in front of the ocean , that is an ongoing challenge, as you might understand, however, all the suites are newly remodeled, 1998 onwards.

Thank you for the positive feedback and for the other comments and you are correct, the kitchen are not fully equipped as the they are not meant for cooking meals to avoid cooking smell in the suites, but we always oblige if a guests ask for any specific items and of course offer room service for breakfast , lunch and dinner.

I will ask the staff to refrain on comments regarding the Hillary Clinton Suite as you mention just in case it does not fit the party affiliation of a guest. Never know what turns people on and off.

We are located in a private little corner of the world and is perfect for anyone trying to get some peace and quite and get away form it all.

Have a great summer and all the best wishes.

The Horned Dorset Primavera
Rincon, Puerto Rico.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
Casa Verde Hotel
Casa Verde Hotel
#3 of 7 in Rincon

Been to Horned Dorset Primavera? Share your experiences!