“A perfect place to stay in Rincon”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rincon
Sunset Paradise Villas
London, United Kingdom
“A perfect place to stay in Rincon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We just returned from a trip to Rincon for my friends' wedding and the group of six of us stayed in Villa 3 Upper for four nights...and it was absolutely perfect!

The apartment has stunning views, is beautifully furnished and decorated, and had more than enough space for our group. The private outdoor space for Villa 3 Upper far exceeded my expectations and the guys in my group needed to be dragged off of the shared roofdeck every evening. The pool isn't huge, but you're on the beach...so in my mind, the beautiful pool and hot tub is just icing on the warm sand cake. After traveling for the six days prior to arriving in Rincon, the washer and dryer were a huge bonus as well.

I fully appreciate what other people had said about the tides taking away most of the sandy space directly in front of the villa, but you can walk three minutes down the beach to get a wider sandy area. We walked up the beach a few times to get to the slightly busier area near the hotels, but I am beyond happy we chose to stay where we did. It was easy to get into the center of town and I appreciated having just the noise of the waves and roosters each morning. And I absolutely loved the beds.

We only had one small hitch when we tried microwaving bacon (my friend Ryan's first mistake) while the dishwasher was running, but got an immediate answer at the office where we were directed to the fuse box.

As for any concerns around safety, I didn't feel unsafe for a minute and it takes half a second to lock the doors every time you leave the house. No crimes of opportunity for this group! I would recommend Sunset Paradise Villas to anyone looking to stay in a beautiful, clean, nicely located place in Rincon.

Room Tip: My boyfriend and I claimed the master bedroom because we did most of the travel planning and I loved...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mtaylor16

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Lake Park
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our stay at the Sunset Paradise Villas was very relaxing and wonderful! This was our first trip to Puerto Rico and we specifically chose Rincon for the opportunity to take surfing lessons. We found Puerto Rico to be very unique with their very warm and friendly people and culture. The road trip from San Juan airport certainly introduces you to the poverty that is present in Puerto Rico, not unlike many of the other Caribbean islands. Rincon is a very quaint , simple town without the luxe found in San Juan, but truly an original beach town without a "touristy" feel or look. This is a locals town with the occasional tourists and surfer dudes. The villas are on a street inhabited with locals. It may not be the place to stay if you are looking for a resort atmosphere, but we loved the feeling of genuineness. Expect to hear the roosters crowing each morning! We rented villa 1 lower, which was perfect for our family of 4. This villa seems to be the only one that always has a dry beach in front of it. The stone scaped patio is stunning! There is an outdoor shower to rinse off as you climb up the stone stairs to your patio. The villa was spotless! As expected with any villa or house rental...you need to purchase most of your supplies, but the villa did supply ample toilet paper, trash bags, etc. The caretaker, Mike (I believe I remember his name correctly), was outstanding with his helpfulness! As mentioned in previous reviews, all doors must be locked at night and when away. Mike happened to arrive to the villa and noticed our door was not locked properly (credited to our teenage daughter the last to leave). He locked our door that day and made a point of stopping by later that eve to let us know. Our only disappointment was the pool had suffered an algae problem prior to our arrival. Mike worked with the pool man to get it back in tip top shape, but still a bit foamy from chemicals by the time we left....no worries, however, we enjoyed swimming in the ocean right outside our patio, and of course , surfing various beaches around town. The owner has a note upon arrival that describes the local culture. We found this to be helpful. This was an exceptional place to experience the Puerto Rico culture first hand and would definitely return again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve S
Stillwater, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed March 15-19, 2014 in lower villa 3 and loved it!! We found the accommodations to be excellent. Beds were very comfy and A/C, (which we only used at night after locking up) worked great. There were some awesome waves while we were there and we loved the sounds and sight of waves crashing just outside our patio. It was great watching the sunset from our patio, but even better from roof level pool. We even saw the green flash as the sun set. We saw a couple of whales one morning while breakfasting on patio. Not much beach (lots of north side wave action the days we were there), but its not bad in front of Villa 1. We made our way to that area a few times for fun in the waves with the many pool tools available. We loved the amenities, we needed to get nothing but food. We all (8 of us adults) recommend eating at Lucky 13 in town. we went 2 nights in a row! We also recommend Sandy Beach. Nice clean beach with great wave action. We ate at Tamboo restaurant on Sandy Beach and it was good food. There are surfboards and boogie boards to rent there also. I think it was only $25/day for surfboards. The latter half of the week we stayed at house in Humacao....it was not nearly as nice as Sunset Paradise Villas though. We got spoiled with the great stocked kitchen, beds/linens, bathrooms(even incl. shampoo/soaps), comfy patio furn. and nice addt. of beach chairs and umbrella! Thanks for the awesome stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Teresa T
Downingtown, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

What a peaceful relaxing stay! Clean villa, with a huge rooftop patio area and small infinity pool..beautiful views of the ocean. Easy walk to the Cofrise hotel beachfront bar. Good times! A perfect arctic winter escape from the northeast. Hope we can return.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank gottagetawaynow
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week-long stay with my family (2 teenaged girls) and the grand-parents and everyone was delighted with the time spent here. We occupied upper villa 3.

The villa was clean, well appointed and very spacious. We spent most of our time on our private terrace, in the small rooftop pool and on the beach.

If you're looking for a quiet, relaxed spot to enjoy family time, this is the place. If you're looking to be in the center of all the action, best look elsewhere. Renting a car is advisable, as there is not much around. Grocery store and Lucky 13 restaurant (casual hangout with good food and drinks) are walking distance, though.

Great family memories made here. :)

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank AML1966
Denver, Colorado, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed for a week in these villas with my wife's family for a wedding in October, 2013. I didn't pay for the villas but I know they don't come cheap. We didn't pay for the house keeping service throughout the week. When you arrive, you have the bare minimums to keep the place clean. I think there was one broom for all three villas, one roll of toilet paper per bathroom and one role of paper towels. You have to buy everything at the local grocery store. Overall the villa was nice, had nice upgrades with granite and marble counter tops throughout. Beds weren’t bad, views were nice, bathrooms were good, never ran out of hot water. One thing that was gross was the cleanliness of the floor. It looked clean until you walked on it and looked at the bottom of your feet, ruined several pairs of socks. No mop and bucket to be found anywhere.

The most important reason I'm writing this review is your personal safety. The area these villas are located in, border the slums of probably some of the worst neighborhoods I have ever been in. I work in Law Enforcement and I didn't feel safe. The second night we were there, someone broke into one of our rooms from the second floor balcony and stole a wide variety of things. The scary part was my kids were asleep in the room next door and we were all up on the top deck at the pool. The couple did leave their balcony door unlocked which provides a crime of opportunity. It's still pretty brazen to break into a residence from the second floor with people around everywhere. I'm thankful nobody got hurt. After reading this and you still decide to stay here, please lock your doors at all times, no matter what!!!!

As for the beech, there is none to enjoy by the villa, you can walk to the east or west and find better beaches. The waves crash all day and night long right at the wall. Base on how high the tide is, you can step down off the stairs into the sand, take two steps and you will have your feet in the ocean. Water was warm, but there was a lot of rocks and sea life that was cutting our feet. Water shoes are a must. Pool on the top deck was nice but very, very small. The connected "hot tub" was not hot, same temperature of the pool, which made it very cold at night, not enjoyable. We called it the cool tub.

The stairs leading up to the pool and top deck where most people have their wedding receptions are very steep and at different heights. This caused a dangerous situation for our elderly guest and intoxicated guest. We had a couple of close calls with people falling up and down the stairs. The town of Rincon is very run down; most of the businesses were closed down, a lot graffiti on the walls. For the money you’re going to pay to rent this place, I would look elsewhere. There were several resorts on the outskirts of Rincon that appeared to have gated security and nicer beach areas. I would choose one of them over this place. I will never go back. I hope this helps in your decision, have safe travels and good luck if you go, be safe.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mark B
sunsetp, Owner at Sunset Paradise Villas, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sunset Paradise Villas.

Sorry we did not meet your expectations. We encourage comments from all guests, good or bad, so we can take all comments, and guests opinions, and use them to make improvements. We take great pride in providing all our guests a great experience during their stay with us. I do understand you were a guest to the wedding party that gave a review (Just below your review) that rated us 5 star rating? Seems a bit strange two guests from the same stay can have such different experiences? I certainly want to address any and all of your concerns.

We aim to keep the villas in pristine condition and our housekeeping team works very hard to achieve maximum cleanliness of the rooms and bathrooms. We do thoroughly mop and clean all floors and they are clean when we leave, but with the beach just steps away, and the villas are susceptible to sand being carried in on the bottom of shoes as well as winds blowing it in. This causes the floor to always have a slight "sea spray" or "sandy film" on it. We also ask you to inspect the condition at move-in and if you are unsatisfied in any way we are happy to come back and clean any areas that you feel need attention. But, I do not recommend walking around in this "open air" indoor/outdoor condition with white socks. To do additional cleaning during your stay, we do provide a broom inside the unit and a mop is available upon request. Unsure what additional cleaning supplies you needed or felt were missing, but had you contacted us we would be happy to provide you with additional cleaning tools? We also offer you optional (daily if wanted) maid service if you want to keep your unit (and floors) spotlessly clean?

We do provide accommodations for large parties such as including plenty of towels and toilet paper for your stay. If you should run out we again are happy to provide additional upon request.

I am glad you appreciated all our fine upgrades, like granite kitchen countertops, quality stainless steel appliances, marble bathrooms with glass blocks showers, endless supply of hot water, top of the line memory foam beds, etc.

I am very concerned about your comments regarding feeling unsafe and you felt the neighborhood was a "slum"? Rincon is a small island town and the majority of the people live simply, with basics only. Rincon is a great mix of culture and tourists attractions providing a real cultural experience. The neighborhood is a very typical Puerto Rican neighborhood. We ourselves have lived in that neighborhood and we have ALWAYS found the people very friendly. Even today when we come to visit and see some neighbors, they go out of their way to smile, wave and say hi. Crimes of opportunity are an unfortunate issue and can occur anywhere around the world. This situation/issue is not unique to Rincon, Puerto Rico, or Sunset Paradise Villas. We do advise our guest many times to lock their doors and have the following Safety Reminder posted by the front door where they leave the unit, reminding them to lock doors! Sorry that this advise was ignored.

Safety Reminder
Please lock all your doors when you leave and at night. Please do not leave your valuables out in plain sight. Rincon is a smaller town with very little major crime, but you should always use common sense. Most crime that does occur is “crime of opportunity” when someone leaves an expensive camera, phone, or I Pod laying out in the open.
Your security and safety are very important to us. Please lock all the doors any time you leave, and at night. As well, put any valuables away, out of plain sight. Rincon is a smaller town with very little major crime, but you should always use common sense as most crime that does occur is "crime of opportunity" when someone leaves an expensive camera, IPod, computer, cell phone or money out in plain sight.

Yes, the beach does seem to "come and go", but most times you can easily walk up and down the beach. At times there are storms and the waves do get stronger at times? The ocean floor is sandy (like the beach) and I am unsure why there would be anything sharp? Sorry the crashing of the waves disturbed you? But again, we do not control the ocean or the weather. This is what we say to people that ask:
What is the beach like? - Our beach is considered a “swimming beach” which is on the south side of Rincon on Playa Corcega. Playa Corcega is considered one of the best beaches on the West coast. It is great for taking walks, swimming, or getting a chair and relaxing and watching the waves. At the water’s edge, there is a smooth flat rock ledge which extends out into the warm ocean about 30 feet and is about 4 feet deep. This rock ledge is covered with sand and short "sea moss" and is very comfortable to walk on. This makes for great swimming. If you enjoy snorkeling, check out the fish that hang out at the edge of the rock ledge. A short distance away on the north side of the point is where the surfers go, which is considered the “surf” side. Disclaimer/Caution: We cannot guarantee great weather, calm waters, etc. Weather and storms come and go and so does the size of our beach. But, Most of the time we have gentle waves, clear water, and a nice sandy beach.

I am glad you enjoyed our rooftop swimming pool and the HUGE area around it. We just recently expanded it and it is a great addition and enjoyed by all that use it. I am not aware of any other property offering a rooftop swimming pool with the negative edge like this in Rincon! GREAT views! We have an attached spa and there is a switch to turn on the spa heater. We do not heat it 24 hours a day.

Yes, we have steps that go up to the rooftop pool area. Yes, if you drink and party it can be more dangerous? We have non-slip tile currently on the steps and are in the process of adding additional anti-slip tape? We have had these steps there for about 12 plus years. All steps are the same height, and there is a light on the steps at night. It is rare to have any issues (except when people drink?)

Sorry to have you say "For the money you’re going to pay to rent this place, I would look elsewhere" since you also said "I didn't pay for the villas but I know they don't come cheap" Since it is clear you where a guest and did not pay for your stay, or do not know the price? Unsure how you can say to look elsewhere? and we are not worth the money? We do continuously shop prices of ALL places to stay in Rincon and can confidently say we have one of the BEST VALUES.

It is a shame that we weren’t contacted during your stay, regarding the issues you have faced. We would done everything within our control to assist you in any way we could.

I am sorry that you haven't had a pleasant stay with us. I do agree with you that if you want an "all inclusive" type of "resort" and have guards and a security gate this might not be the best fit? If you want a private beach home with all the top amenities, in a typical Puerto Rican neighborhood, give us a try. I know of no better value.
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We rented all three villas for our wedding weekend. Our group of about 45 people ranged from infants to 80 years old. Everyone was comfortable in the spacious, clean, and well appointed villas. Whatever issues or questions we had were addressed immediately by Gladys, the property manager.

The villas were perfect for both our rehearsal dinner and our wedding reception and our out of town guests were blown away by location and the quality of the villas. Some of our guests even chose to extend their stay for an additional night.

My family all lives in Puerto Rico and I can say with certainty that we will be renting the villas again.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a large family group, Villa 3 is a great value!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ivette R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon
Villa Cofresi Hotel
#1 of 1 in Anasco
Coconut Palms Inn
Coconut Palms Inn
#5 of 22 in Rincon

Been to Sunset Paradise Villas? Share your experiences!