“'DREADFUL'”

Sand Bay Leisure Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kewstoke
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Having been to Sand Bay several times in recent years for a family week-end i was very surprised to read the harsh reviews prior to my recent visit. I have to agree with the majority and say this camp has gone downhill drastically.
Friday arrival started with a mad rush to reception to obtain chalet keys which were not released until 4pm !!!
We were then informed that the dining room would only be open for one hour for evening meal (6-7pm) & breakfast from 8-9am...If your late you don't eat. The soup was cold on 2 of 3 nights and when we complained to the waitress she disappeared ? Apart from the soup the rest of the food was quite edible, if you managed to get some before it ran out.
Entertainment, i use the term loosely, was a performance by the Blue Coats which was completely underwhelming - it seems they didn't learn anything from Scott Paige who was an excellent performer & arranger.
Couldn't get a drink from the bar during the Rugby & Football on Saturday as it was closed till 5pm !
Saturday's entertainment was Debbie Farrell (Vocalist) who proceeded to let 3 audience members take over the show.
On Sunday the bar actually opened at 11.45am then closed at 12.30 (why bother). Evening entertainment was again performed by George John (Blue Coat) who has the stage presence and personality of a plank, after every song he pulled a sheet of paper from his pocket to see what was next.
I think it safe to say we as a family will not be returning to Sand Bay as long as PONTINS are involved.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Bazzo1958
There are newer reviews for Sand Bay Leisure Resort

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We really enjoyed our visit to Sand Bay last year but were very disappointed this year. The changes by Pontins include self service restaurant, low payout of bingo winnings, entertainment finishes early and along with the staff cuts the atmosphere is one of a sinking ship. The food choice is limited, for example the only starter is soup and the only desert is ice cream or gateau. The food is basic and not always hot. We had lunch there with no drinks at all, not even water. Pontins extracted 55% from the bingo takings therefore the 45% paid out was substantially less than expected. The evening entertainment ceased about 11pm. We are not going again, we were on one of 5 coaches and our organiser is looking elsewhere for the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
15  Thank Alan R
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Having booked some 7 months ago for 9 people, for a weekend called "Magic Of The Musicals"
I was very disappointed to find the first show tune was song on Sunday evening at 9:55 pm and the second at 10:20 pm and that was it, purely NOT "Magical". The disappointment of the weekend had started on the Friday when having arrived at our chalet to find the heating not working properly, a maintenance man arrived but was unable to fix it. He promised a repair would be completed over the weekend, no one turned up. So on departure we asked if it could be fixed in time for the next guests.
The heart and sole of this camp as been ripped out by the changes Pontins have rushed into place to quickly after their recent take over. The staff changes/reductions have totally changed the character of the site. The restaurant is run as a find a table and serve yourself setup, which is not always easy for the less mobile and large groups. Goodness knows what it will be like when the camp is full. The bingo is run with Pontins taking 55% of the money paid to play, when I asked about this, I was informed they could take up to 90% if they wanted to. As a family group we have been going to Sand Bay for a number of years, sadly we have already started looking for somewhere to book for our next break following this very disappointing weekend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank MWE2014
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have already written one review about our dreadful time at Sand Bay. But what I have just discovered angers me so much. I feel robbed!! apparently for every £I we spend on bingo Pontins take 55 pence!! 20 pence goes to VAT man, ok I have to except that. But where does the other 35 pence go. I spent £54 on bingo, as did many others and Pontins kept £8.10 of MY money!! Nowhere have I seen or read anything about that n any of their brochures!! I thought that by law ALL stake money was paid out. I will be looking into this as I feel cheated.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank mitzy116
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We visited Sand bay for a weekend at the end of January, our party consists of my husband and I and my elderly parents, we have been to sand bay on lots of other occasions and had very enjoyable times. This visit was not as enjoyable, Britannia hotels posing as Pontins had just taken over the complex and "thinned" the staff down considerably and changed some other things too, such as some entertainment has disappeared and although they advertise that the dining room has buffet and waiters service it didn't so I had to continuously queue for our meals as my parents are not too mobile. I had asked one of the staff left in the dining area and he told me they were told to just clear tables and nothing else. I had requested at least one of our rooms to have a shower for my parents but neither of them did.
I appreciate that Britannia/ Pontins have to make changes to make money but it seemed too much too quick, the staff left did their best and were still helpful and what entertainment there was, was good enough, but their hearts wasn't totally in it.
The chalets have always been well heated and well kitted out for short stay holidays but this time they were the dirtiest I have ever seen them with no replenishments at all during our weekend.
All in all a disappointing visit and after many years of holidays there we will not be returning its lost its sparkle.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
12  Thank lynn s
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We have just returned from this place and it has been taken over from Martyns you have to give them a chance the staff does there best they are short staffed and how can they keep a smile on their faces when all they get is people complaining at them
we found them most helpful and what entaintment they put on was adquate for the 4 days and enjoyed it
The meals was a good choice and plenty at least when you queue up for them you can have what you want and there is no wastage and the waiters are there to help you and will get you your dinners if you are unable to carry them or walk
The chalets are great clean comfortable and all you want and when we booked in on the Monday we had no electric it keep on cutting off and the recepion could'nt be helpful they sent the maintance staff to fix it twice and put us in another room when they could'nt find the fault which was a deluxe room

So please give them a chance as we said we had a lovely time what do people expect for a bargain break at the sale price you paid

Room Tip: none they are all excellent
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alan d
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We have just returned from a Valentine's Weekend at Sand Bay. We had one of the "better" rooms which was OK and warm; however the shower room was tiny (and we're not large people!). The room was not serviced and we had to find clean towels from reception. No-one collected the used towels and we eventually dumped them on the bench outside our room - the shower room would not have accommodated the extra bulk.
The restaurant used to be table service with a reasonable choice and polite/efficient staff. Not now though. It's self service, poor choice, low quality and (sad for them), bored staff who only clear tables.
The band was quite good although the female singer seemed to struggle a bit. The brought in cabaret acts were poor. The programme for the final night showed songs from shows, however this was apparently cancelled but no reason given. One of the blue coat girls leading line dancing in the evening was soooo bored - her body language was obvious.
The original Sand Bay entertainment manager, Scott Paige, has been dismissed. So sad. He and his team were very good.
Since the take over lots of staff have been dismissed, and it shows. The remaining staff are lack lustre and disinterested.
Sand Bay has always been a budget resort with just about an acceptable standard. We used to go for the fantastic ballroom floor.
We know Britannia Hotels (who are buying up Pontins and ex-Pontins) their hotels are shabby and staff equally disinterested. We believe they are one of the few companies who charge for credit cards AND debit cards.
It is very doubtful that we shall return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Patricia B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kewstoke
Commodore Hotel
#20 of 28 in Weston-super-Mare
Queenswood Hotel
Queenswood Hotel
#9 of 28 in Weston-super-Mare

Been to Sand Bay Leisure Resort? Share your experiences!